Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

River crossings on the Shannon

• 25-11-2009 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can find a list of all the river crossings on the Shannon?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

from the bottom:
    Tarbert to Kilimor Ferry,
    shannon tunnel
    3 in Limerick road
    WRC
    Corbally road
    UL ped bridge
    O' Briensbridge road
    Kilaloe/Ballina road
    Portumna swing road bridge
    Banagher road
    Shannonbridge road single line trafic

Athlone - road
    Athlone Rail
    Athlone N6 Dual Carriageway
    Lanesboro road
    Cloondara N5 road
    Roosky road
    Sligo rail line
    Carrick on Shannon road

And I've never been above there towards Lough Allen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

And then there's the two Bord Na Mona peat train bridges near Shannonbridge and Lanesborough.

North of Carrick on Shannon -

Hartley Bridge (road)
    Battlebridge (Road)
    Drumshanbo (road)
    Dowra (road)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

UL ped bridge
    O' Briensbridge road

I think theres a road bridge in UL also, and between these two theres the 4 bridges across the second channel for the power station, if you want to count them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

MYOB wrote: »
    I think theres a road bridge in UL also, and between these two theres the 4 bridges across the second channel for the power station, if you want to count them.

Isn't the road bridge over a canal in UL?
    or isn't there at least one bridge over a canal in UL

I'd only count the bridges over the head and tail races if they get ya all the way across.

Forgot about the narrow gauge rail line at Shannonbridge, didn't know about Lanesboro.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Isn't the road bridge over a canal in UL?
    or isn't there at least one bridge over a canal in UL

I'd only count the bridges over the head and tail races if they get ya all the way across.

Forgot about the narrow gauge rail line at Shannonbridge, didn't know about Lanesboro.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=limerick&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=12.844022,39.946289&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Limerick,+County+Limerick+City,+Ireland&ll=52.677943,-8.577458&spn=0.003213,0.009753&t=h&z=17

definitely a road bridge across the Shannon in UL there, 2009 satellite imagery.

don't trust the mapping data there at all, its invented another bridge across the Ardnacrusha races and another across the main channel also. I'm very glad I don't have a Tele-Atlas powered satnav with those inaccuracies!

• Advertisement

Sligo rail line
    Carrick on Shannon road

Drumsna and Jamestown bridges between these two, although they're not on the standard navigation path due to the Jamestown Canal.

(yes I'm cheating and using a map for this)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Is there a pedestrian bridge in Castleconnell?

Does the now famous Parteen weir count as a crossing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭rubensni

Shannon crossings in Co. Limerick/Co. Clare and Limerick City
    • The Tunnel (road)
    • The Shannon Bridge (popularly known as the new bridge, road/pedestrian)
    • Sarsefield Bridge (road/pedestrian)
    • Thomond Bridge (road/pedestrian)
    • The "Metal bridge" (rail)
    • Athlunkard Bridge (road/pedestrian)
    • Plassey Bridge (popularly The Black Bridge, pedestrian)
    • UL Vehicular Access Bridge (popularly Thomond Village bridge, road/pedestrian)
    • UL Living Bridge (pedestrian)
    • Castleconnell - Doonass Bridge (pedestrian)
    • O'Brien's Bridge (road/pedestrian)

Advertisement