Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photos That Shook The World (Contains graphic images, may cause distress)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

wudangclan wrote: »
    Another Olypmic one (if it hasn't been posted already) with the Black Panthers at the Mexico Olympics.

july_2008_1968_olympic_protest.jpg

These guys actually trained for the olympics purely for the opportunity to give the black power salute. They had their medals confiscated. These are the same guys last year:

4433_17677763.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

banquo wrote: »
    These guys actually trained for the olympics purely for the opportunity to give the black power salute. They had their medals confiscated. These are the same guys last year

Funny I have heard them say it was pretty much spur of the moment stuff, evidenced by the fact they only had one pair of gloves so had to take one each and give the salute with opposite arms..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Hmm. Well, that's the internet for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Hitler Youth

zzzHitlerYouth.jpg

Iwo Jima

USMC-M-IwoJima-cvr.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Slick Willy
    clinton_impeach.jpg

Tricky Dicky
    a999nixonresignation_2050081722-19934.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

munich 1972 terrorist attack
    munich1_wideweb__470x335.jpg

pol pots massacare victims
    skulls.jpg
    policeman burning
    (was looking for the pic in derry during the riots in 60's or 70's
    A+riot+policeman+covered+in+flames+runs+to+escape+during+in+riot+in+Athens+December+12,+2008+(Reuters,+John+Kolesidis).jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,688 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Smau5 wrote: »
    I was stating I was a City fan, please explain how it was offensive?
    I was also at the derby, do you remember how well behaved we were for the minutes silence?
    FM..
    Having the wink gives a totally different message, maybe you should elaborate on the message and remove the wink. I wasn't sure about it being offensive like I said, only for the wink and bluemoon being the only word.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

His childhood sweetheart left him soon after this photo was taken
    burn_victim.jpg

Jesus, the poor guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Some people put up things like the Irish war of independence and whatever, that did not shake the world, it only affected Ireland.

Something a bit more recent.
    68-1246070767-michael-jackson-final-photo.jpg

this thread deserves a sticky me thinks. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭RABTMOUSE

oh jeez is that a real image? Thats awful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

The last two photographs of Tupac Shakur.

2pacslastride-noticethefearinhisfac.jpg

autopsy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

His childhood sweetheart left him soon after this photo was taken
    burn_victim.jpg

Another one
    amd_burns.jpg

Is there a link to a story behind these photos?

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Looks to be a firebombing incident, probably the gulf war, maybe afghanistan or Iraq but I doubt it seeing as I have never seen those photos before.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

silverharp wrote: »
    Israeli children sign their missiles ‘with love’

97427.jpg

Boards.ie needs a WTF button......

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Boards.ie needs a WTF button......
    She must have lost someone to a palestinian attack or something. I can't fathom a girl so young could be so nasty without a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,044 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

She must have lost someone to a palestinian attack or something. I can't fathom a girl so young could be so nasty without a reason.

It's Israeli propaganda

Another bombs related one ..

3596255942_51ce2d0847.jpg

fagbomb.jpg

bombchalker2.jpg

It's Israeli propaganda
    There's a reason I suppose but still I doubt she would have(Or rather her parents would have let her) sign a bomb "with love" unless they actually suffered because of violence. Either that or she's just evil.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Another bombs related one ..

3596255942_51ce2d0847.jpg

fagbomb.jpg

bombchalker2.jpg
    Thats a bit more acceptable than the Israeli one tbh because the first was a retaliation for a generally unprovoked attack on pearl harbour so they signed the bomb to vent so to speak.

The 2nd was probably very soon after 9/11, It was probably heading to afghanistan to be used against the taliban and al-qaeda who had just killed thousands of innocents so I guess their anger is well justified.

The 3rd definitley isn't WW2 buts it black and white so I have no idea about that, its not as nasty as signing a bomb "With love"

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,550 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Darksaga87 wrote: »

His name is Tyler Ziegel, injured in a suicide attack on his truck in Iraq. How it affecte their lives is a famous story here as the UK times covered it a few times at length.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article3886348.ece

There is a lot you can find online with his name.

There's a reason I suppose but still I doubt she would have(Or rather her parents would have let her) sign a bomb "with love" unless they actually suffered because of violence. Either that or she's just evil.

She's just a kid who most likely is not even thinking about where that bomb is really going. Before the age of 15 ish we are all just sponges and shouldn't really be blamed for what we absorb from around us.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

the-simpsons-tracey-ullman-show.jpg

I don't know can we argue that they changed the world. But the world has never been the same since the Simpsons started on the Tracey Ullman show.

Pete and URL are right. Israelis are brainwashed from a young age re: Palestinians, it's almost manufactured hatred. There is hatred going the opposite way too, but it is justified, can almost be condoned.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

His childhood sweetheart left him soon after this photo was takenburn_victim.jpg

Another one
    amd_burns.jpg

His name is Ty Ziegel, there was a good article on him in the Sunday Times magazine a while back.

Thats a bit more acceptable than the Israeli one tbh because the first was a retaliation for a generally unprovoked attack on pearl harbour so they signed the bomb to vent so to speak.

The 2nd was probably very soon after 9/11, It was probably heading to afghanistan to be used against the taliban and al-qaeda who had just killed thousands of innocents so I guess their anger is well justified.

The 3rd definitley isn't WW2 buts it black and white so I have no idea about that, its not as nasty as signing a bomb "With love"
    theres tons of terrorist attacks on isreal every year.
    same thing really just no awwh inspiring attacks on the scale of 9/11

OutlawPete wrote: »
    She's just a kid who most likely is not even thinking about where that bomb is really going. Before the age of 15 ish we are all just sponges and shouldn't really be blamed for what we absorb from around us.
    True, I hope one day she looks back and sees sense.

@Mousey
    I am aware, I am not anti-israel or anti-palestine. I know Israel is regularly terrorised by neighboring countries and they retaliate which is fine. Writing "May this be the last rising sun" is a bit war-like and threatening which is pretty normal for war. But writing "With Love" just seems nastier for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Instant Karma

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted as yet - famous photo taken by Robert Capa. His name was Federico Borrell García and he was fighting on the Republican side against franco. The photo captures the moment of his death.

espana.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

jumpyoufackersuo1.jpg

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

kaki wrote: »
    His name is Ty Ziegel, there was a good article on him in the Sunday Times magazine a while back.

Extremely interesting read mate, cheers.

Advertisement