Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Shock from UPC digital+ box

Options
  • 19-11-2009 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi,

I was moving my TV around and had to take the UPC digital+ box off the top of the set. I was holding the box in one hand and went to unplug it and got a shock from the chrome socket it was plugged in to.

In typical Bart Simpson fashion, I tried it a few times just to be sure :o. It feels like a stinging sensation..

Anyway, I got my phase tester out and sure enough it lights up like a Christmas tree when I touch the metal exterior of the box and touch the phase tester on the socket or the metal connectors of the scart lead.

I had the box switched off at the back when I was doing this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Should I get on to UPC and give out to them for supplying this? And I haven't gone near the box in anyway so I can't be blamed for it.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,
    Brian

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

That sounds pretty dangerous! You should get on to chorus and get them to send out a new box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Unplug the box from the mains and call UPC immediately.

Do not use it.

Also, I'd suggest not touching the UPC cables coming into your house as there's a very remote possibility that they could be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

You either have a faulty box or a floating earth. Either way I'd get UPC out and replace the box. If the problem is still there get a sparks in to check the earth and the mains polarity.

Hi,

I was moving my TV around and had to take the UPC digital+ box off the top of the set. I was holding the box in one hand and went to unplug it and got a shock from the chrome socket it was plugged in to.

In typical Bart Simpson fashion, I tried it a few times just to be sure :o. It feels like a stinging sensation..

Anyway, I got my phase tester out and sure enough it lights up like a Christmas tree when I touch the metal exterior of the box and touch the phase tester on the socket or the metal connectors of the scart lead.

I had the box switched off at the back when I was doing this.

Has anyone else noticed this? Should I get on to UPC and give out to them for supplying this? And I haven't gone near the box in anyway so I can't be blamed for it.

Any thoughts or help?

Thanks,
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 36 amurray32

I've had this with multiple electronic devises over the years, I ask someone else to check and they feel nothing. I'm not a sparks but I think some people are more electrically sensitive than others...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭elderlemon

If a mains phase tester lights up then its not about being more electrically sensitive - its about voltage. Its either there or its not.
    amurray32 wrote: »
    I've had this with multiple electronic devises over the years, I ask someone else to check and they feel nothing. I'm not a sparks but I think some people are more electrically sensitive than others...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 briandebruce

Thanks for the replies guys. Have a multi-meter but lost the manual so I can't tell what amps / volts etc are coming off the damn thing. Have it off for the mo. Having a though time getting through to UPC support. Seems like I'm on a music loop for ever. Don't have the time to wait. Lucky the analog signal is still going...

Regards..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 oscar acosta

Sorry for the hijack...

I'm thinking about getting NTL with the Digital+ box. However I only have a monitor with HDMI/VGA, no SCART to use as a TV.
    Is that going to be possible with the output?

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭testarossa40

Sorry for the hijack...

I'm thinking about getting NTL with the Digital+ box. However I only have a monitor with HDMI/VGA, no SCART to use as a TV.
    Is that going to be possible with the output?
    You posted this in a thread about getting electric shocks off a Digital+ box? You're right to apologise - now how about you put your question in its own thread or read the many others on the subject?

Advertisement