Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarah Palin on Vegetarians

Options
  • 19-11-2009 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭

Sarah Palin's new book "Going Rogue" has hit the top of bestseller lists in the states. She uses the book, in part, to attack vegetarians.

The extracts are shocking and show how stupid this woman is. It would be a bigger disaster for the states than the election of George Bush if she gets into office in 2012.
    If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?
    I love animals right next to the mashed potatoes
    if any vegans came over for dinner ...... [I would] explain my philosophy on being a carnivore

More here:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-13282-Cincinnati-Vegetarian-Examiner~y2009m11d19-Sarah-Palin-losing-vegetarian-supporters

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Oh my god she's right! Now that she's explained her "philosophy" I see the error of my ways. First time I've heard that particular witty little comment as well :rolleyes:

I love Sarah Palin though, she's hilarious like

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Didn't she stop running due to being too stupid?:-p And that's saying something !

Joke in simpsons = her philosophy :S

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

The first one, the animals out of meat line is a very old joke. I became veggie in 1997 and I was getting that thrown at me then.
    So she's stupid and a joke thief!!

But she's still hot in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Sarah Palin on Vegetarians

Get her off them!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,098 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Are this actually from her book?

Most likely, they are from the spoof book. It has almost the same cover, and the title is Going Rouge (instead of Going Rogue)

I reckon these are actually from the spoof book, and i'd say its working, if a newspaper as well most people who aren't aware of the book, will believe it.

Nice political sabotage.

On the other hand, maybe she is really that stupid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?

Every time I hear this woman talk I have to wonder how she manages to remeber to breathe all the time.
    I think if you said to her "If god wanted us to eat animals, why did he make them able to feel pain?" her head would explode!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Yes, Ms. Palin...but humans are also made of 'meat'...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I'm fairly certain I can get her to eat me using her own logic against her.

Dear diary.. jackpot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Fungus wrote: »
    It would be a bigger disaster for the states than the election of George Bush if she gets into office in 2012.

Check out Saturday Night Live's prediction...
    http://tv.gawker.com/5410123/snl-predicts-the-end-of-the-world-in-2012-as-sarah-palin-is-elected-as-president?autoplay=true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Her ultra right wing views that make me dislike her so much also in my opinion rule her out from ever becoming president, as far as I'm concerned she can fcuk off back to Alaska and talk as much rubbish as she wants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I really hope that's not true, but if it is, What a muppet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Every time I hear this woman talk I have to wonder how she manages to remeber to breathe all the time.
    I think if you said to her "If god wanted us to eat animals, why did he make them able to feel pain?" her head would explode!

sure but animals eat animals, did god not make those animals as predators and the other animals that also feel pain as food?
    a sabertooth tiger didnt have big canine teeth for eating lettuce,berries and tree bark

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭smegmar

sure but animals eat animals, did god not make those animals as predators and the other animals that also feel pain as food?
    a sabertooth tiger didnt have big canine teeth for eating lettuce,berries and tree bark

the woolly mammoth had tusks bigger then any animal to date and they are grass and leaves

smegmar wrote: »
    the woolly mammoth had tusks bigger then any animal to date and they are grass and leaves

I didnt say anything about the wholly mammoth. tusks are used for defense and digging up ground/shrubs, not always for carnivorous tasks

my point is the fact that animals feel pain has nothing to do with god saying we shouldnt eat meat

pain is a defense mechanism, its a warning that we are hurt, could be from a broken bone due to a fall or could be from a bite to the leg from a predator, its not a warning for people not to eat us, humans are animals and can be eaten by many other animals if isolated in a hazardous wild environment, I dont think an alligator cares if I feel pain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

My dad says the first one the whole time, and it was the reaction of my housemate from Belfast when I told him... bleh.

What has this got to do with what I said? It still begs the question that if god made animals as food (for either humans or other animals) then why do they feel pain?

my point is the fact that animals feel pain has nothing to do with god saying we shouldnt eat meat

I didnt say god said we shouldnt eat meat. I said that if god wanted us to eat animals then why do they feel pain?
    pain is a defense mechanism, its a warning that we are hurt, could be from a broken bone due to a fall or could be from a bite to the leg from a predator, its not a warning for people not to eat us, humans are animals and can be eaten by many other animals if isolated in a hazardous wild environment, I dont think an alligator cares if I feel pain

Why do they need this defense mechanism if they are put on earth by god to be meat for people? What difference does it make if an animal is injured by a fall or another animal if they are just there to be eaten? Even if they needed some sort of system to keep them healthy until adulthood, why does the system need to be pain based, why does it involve intense discomfort and why do animals fight back if they figure out whats happening? Why isn't it instinct based, they just know that a broken leg shouldn't be used and why aren't they willing to die to feed us?

I don't think you see the point of my point really, I'm not using it as a justification of vegetarianism, its a response to the justification that animals are meant to be eaten because god put them here for us. I'm really only humouring the position, god doesn't exist anyway so its moot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

What has this got to do with what I said? It still begs the question that if god made animals as food (for either humans or other animals) then why do they feel pain?

God doesn't exist. NOW why should people eat animals?

I didnt say god said we shouldnt eat meat. I said that if god wanted us to eat animals then why do they feel pain?

Why do they need this defense mechanism if they are put on earth by god to be meat for people? What difference does it make if an animal is injured by a fall or another animal if they are just there to be eaten? Even if they needed some sort of system to keep them healthy until adulthood, why does the system need to be pain based, why does it involve intense discomfort and why do animals fight back if they figure out whats happening? Why isn't it instinct based, they just know that a broken leg shouldn't be used and why aren't they willing to die to feed us?

I don't think you see the point of my point really, I'm not using it as a justification of vegetarianism, its a response to the justification that animals are meant to be eaten because god put them here for us. I'm really only humouring the position, god doesn't exist anyway so its moot anyway.
    what if there is no god?
    why do humans feel pain?

I dont think animals are here just as a food source for humans. native indians and aboriginals have the right idea

I dont see your logic at all. Im not anti vegetarian, I love animals but also eat meat.

what if there is no god?

If there is no god why say "did god not make those animals as predators and the other animals that also feel pain as food? "? If there is no god, then you cant use god as an excuse to eat animals. If there is a god then why is the process of killing and eating animals the way it is, why isn't it easier, nicer, without pain?
    why do humans feel pain?

Its a beneficial trait that came about because of evolution. The same reason why other animals have it.
    I dont think animals are here just as a food source for humans. native indians and aboriginals have the right idea

I dont see your logic at all. Im not anti vegetarian, I love animals but also eat meat.

My logic was as a counter point to Palins logic that god put animals here for us to eat. If you disagree with that point of view then it doesn't really apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

If there is no god why say "did god not make those animals as predators and the other animals that also feel pain as food? "? If there is no god, then you cant use god as an excuse to eat animals. If there is a god then why is the process of killing and eating animals the way it is, why isn't it easier, nicer, without pain?

There is no God and that non-existant God didn't say any of that. If if helps you to replace "nature" for "God" then fine but your line of 'logic' makes no sense whatsoever.

Its a beneficial trait that came about because of evolution. The same reason why other animals have it.

My logic was as a counter point to Palins logic that god put animals here for us to eat. If you disagree with that point of view then it doesn't really apply to you.
    the multi quotes denote you are taking this too serious, anything palin says is retarded

i made a point using the same logic as was given using god

if animals didnt eat other animals the planet would become overpopulated in a matter of days, same thing with insects, theres a huge natural bio-system at work. if there were no dung beetles Africa would be covered in sh1t, every animal and insect no matter how big or small has a big part to play, eating each other is natural and needed for harmony in nature

nature is cruel. theres no denying that. it can also be beautiful, but what is beauty without ugly? what is joy without sorrow?

just to add my own personal opinions, I believe animals that are kept for human food should be treated better, theres a huge amount that die for us and are just thrown out, but thats business/capitalism. Ive seen 60 perfectly edible large turkeys bein thrown into a skip a few days before christmas

I buy free range chicken, I only eat caged chicken products if they are going out of date and half/quarter price, it helps me save money and I dont like to see it/ a life wasted.

lately I've been wondering why logic isnt a subject taught at school like in ancient Greece, it would make the world a better place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Fungus wrote: »
    Sarah Palin's new book "Going Rogue" has hit the top of bestseller lists in the states. She uses the book, in part, to attack vegetarians.

The extracts are shocking and show how stupid this woman is. It would be a bigger disaster for the states than the election of George Bush if she gets into office in 2012.

More here:
    http://www.examiner.com/x-13282-Cincinnati-Vegetarian-Examiner~y2009m11d19-Sarah-Palin-losing-vegetarian-supporters

They're just jokes and what you quoted doesn't attack vegetarians themselves at all. (and they're not even her own jokes)
    If a meat eater came over to your house and you explained your philosophy on being a vegetarian, would that mean you were "attacking them"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

if animals didnt eat other animals the planet would become overpopulated in a matter of days, same thing with insects, theres a huge natural bio-system at work. if there were no dung beetles Africa would be covered in sh1t, every animal and insect no matter how big or small has a big part to play, eating each other is natural and needed for harmony in nature

we aren't part of that particular biosystem, there's nothing natural about the meat industry
    When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.
    • Meat-eaters: have claws
      Herbivores: no claws
      Humans: no claws
    • Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue
      Herbivores: perspire through skin pores
      Humans: perspire through skin pores
    • Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding
      Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
      Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding
    • Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly
      Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
      Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.
    • Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat
      Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
      Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater
    • Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.
      Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits
      Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits
    • Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains
      Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
      Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains
    Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)

Absurdum wrote: »
    we aren't part of that particular biosystem, there's nothing natural about the meat industry

how has this turned into a debate on wether humans should eat meat? I was replying to the notion that because animals feel pain they shouldnt be eaten

we as a species developed tools to hunt animals for food, evolution. I eat meat fruit and veg and feel fit and healthy, no digestion problems. A good friend of mine was a vegetarian for 10years untill a couple of years ago, he feels stronger and fitter now that he eats meat.

cows out in a field eating grass, seems natural to me. alot of industries could be made more fair. there are humans in this world suffering from famine/disease and poverty because of the behavior of other humans, not thru fault of their own. its not just cows,sheep,pigs and chickens being illtreated, its homosapiens too

aboriginals hunt their food with boomerangs and spears, theyve been doing it for thousands of years, its natural. just like a wolf sinking its teeth into a rabbits neck, hunting for food is natural. eating meat is natural. the meat industry is a disgrace in some aspects but that doesnt mean eating meat is wrong. I have nothing against people not eating meat, thats their own choice and I respect that. But I wont listen to bull**** anti meat propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

The stuff Palin was quoted as saying in the OP are jokes as old as the hills.

I'm just asking, not saying you're wrong, but could she have been joking or simply adding humour to an opinion against vegetarianism?

I think it would take Obama and Osama joint suicide bombing an anti-abortion rally for her to have any chance of being president in 2012

The stuff Palin was quoted as saying in the OP are jokes as old as the hills.

I'm just asking, not saying you're wrong, but could she have been joking or simply adding humour to an opinion against vegetarianism?

I think it would take Obama and Osama joint suicide bombing an anti-abortion rally for her to have any chance of being president in 2012

I hope her chances are really that slim. G W Bush was different, he came from a long political family history, he had a team behind him with a specific purpose even tho he came across as mildly retarded some times

• Advertisement

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    There is no God and that non-existant God didn't say any of that. If if helps you to replace "nature" for "God" then fine but your line of 'logic' makes no sense whatsoever.

I know there is no god. I am only humoring the position that god put animals here for us to eat, and without even going into the existence of god I can show that its a poor train of thought. Have you been reading my posts? I am vegetarian and atheist you realise?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement