Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

not ready... nervous..

Options
  • 15-11-2009 2:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

have my first small open tournament comin up... scared ****less.. tryin to stay calm on the board... hittin too much 41 ,s.. but tonite got some 140 's... few 100 's.. got a nice grouping on the 20's... but need some advice.. a few players tell me if i gettin trouble on the 20's go 19 's... but when that fist dart goes trp 1 i go back for the trp 20.. some times i get 1 again or single 20... but if i go the 19 's most of the time dam dart goes 21.. trp 7.. does wanna cuss... what u darters think...????

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Every dart player will tell you two things:
    1. To not think about your opponent's score.
    2. Focus on your own darts.

And that's it basically. But if you succeed in doing this, will you tell me how?

I only have three years experience in darts tournaments, but in my experience all I can tell you is you need experience. Your first tournament is always going to be a difficult one. You don't know what the standard's going to be like.

What I used to my advantage in my first tournament is not knowing who I was playing. In my first tournament I reached the semi-final. Little did I know I was playing against players who have already had experience on the oche in front of bigger crowds. They played on the Cork Youths team the previous year. If I knew those things, then I would have failed at the first hurdle in that tournament.

So go into the tournament with a clear mind. You know nobody (I think), you're throwing decent darts. Nevermind the 26, 45 etc. Every amateur will get them. And believe me, you will see plenty of them at your tournament.

And play the way you want to. Don't listen to people telling you to go for 19s, 17s etc. If you don't want to then don't. If you hit a 1 on your first dart but still feel happy at throwing at 20, then do.

And remember, it's not only you who feels fear on the oche. If you throw a 60/100/140 on your first throw, then your opponent will be thinking ''Woah, this guy is good.'' And he will lack in his own confidence, which will affect his/her ability.

As for later tournaments, you will know the structure, you'll gain confidence in front of small crowds, and you'll throw better darts. So don't doubt yourself if you're knocked out in the first round.

As Phil Taylor said, ''You're not up there to sh*t yourself''

I wish you luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

diversinc wrote: »
    have my first small open tournament comin up... scared ****less.. tryin to stay calm on the board... hittin too much 41 ,s.. but tonite got some 140 's... few 100 's.. got a nice grouping on the 20's... but need some advice.. a few players tell me if i gettin trouble on the 20's go 19 's... but when that fist dart goes trp 1 i go back for the trp 20.. some times i get 1 again or single 20... but if i go the 19 's most of the time dam dart goes 21.. trp 7.. does wanna cuss... what u darters think...????

are you phil taylor ?

take it easy man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 diversinc

larkin thanks man... gonna give my best...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

diversinc wrote: »
    Whoaa .... chill out Man. It'll happen when you're ready :cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Antoine56

Larkin91 wrote: »

If you throw a 60/100/140 on your first throw, then your opponent will be thinking ''Woah, this guy is good.'' And he will lack in his own confidence, which will affect his/her ability.

What a load of ****e :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

DON'T GO FOR 19's!

Whoever told you that should be shot. Keep working on the 20's, concentrate on hitting the single 20 first off. A solid 60 is not a bad throw. Once you can hit a solid 60 then the trebles will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Kingp35 wrote: »
    DON'T GO FOR 19's!

Whoever told you that should be shot. Keep working on the 20's, concentrate on hitting the single 20 first off. A solid 60 is not a bad throw. Once you can hit a solid 60 then the trebles will come.

Don't know about that Kingp, if you're more comfortable down at the bottom of the board there is nothing wrong with staying there. Not a thing wrong with hitting a solid 57 either....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,248 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Degag wrote: »
    Don't know about that Kingp, if you're more comfortable down at the bottom of the board there is nothing wrong with staying there. Not a thing wrong with hitting a solid 57 either....

That's fair enough, but if you are more comfortable down there then stay down there. None of this rubbish of switching to the 19's because 20's aren't working of Vice Versa. You will never get anywhere of you keep switching. Pick one of them and stick with it.

Advertisement