Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Sat, What should I get?!

Options
  • 12-11-2009 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 32

Hi all,

Hopefully some kind souls will be able to help me.

looking to get freesat down in Wexford. My MIL lives in the same estate as us and has a Grundig Sat For Free system fitted that she bought in PowerCity for about 100 Euro.
    This has a range of half decent channels that I could live with, but no RTE! Additionally, the interface is bloody horrible and the remote response time is dire.
    In all, its just mank!

After reading through practically all the posts on this forum, I'm even more confused than ever so, I'd hoped that If I listed things I'd like, someone would be able to point me in the right direction sp here goes,

We'd like
    the BBC channels, channel 4, the Irish channels and possible some discovery channels but of course I know they are probably not available..
    We'd also like a nice EPG interface - something that's responsive and easy to use.
    Ideally, it would be nice to be able to record programmes so maybe there's a receiver box out there that allows that?
    Also, we'd have to keep the cost down. If we could afford it, we'd be getting SKY installed! :P

We have a family member who can fit it all for us, he just doesn't work in the industry any more so is a bit clueless about the latest technology.

so, if anyone can help, that'd be deadly..

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Hi all,

Hopefully some kind souls will be able to help me.

looking to get freesat down in Wexford. .

You would be looking for a freesat and terristrial Aerial fitted you did not say what part of Co Wexford your in. You could go to your nearest Tv shop or Try http://www.goldenpages.ie/category_Television+Aerials,+Dishes+&+Towers_County:Wexford-1.html

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

You need a satelite dish pointing towards 28 degrees east. The sun is about there at 10 am. You will need to run two cables from the dish (the LNB to be exact) to the receiver if you want to record and view at the same time.

You will need a terrestial aerial for the RTE broadcasts. A cable runs from that to the TV.

Next you need a FTA or better a Freesat HD+ receiver. Freesat is only available from the UK but you can order them from there.

This will give you everything you want. The EPG on Freesat is very good.

If you can see the sea, you could try getting Welsh TV which would be cheaper. You would need a high aerial pointing towards Presseli, but you would get 40 stations. Best installed by a professional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 charlietangodel

Thanks Lads.

I'm just a few miles south of Courtown and yes, I can see the sea.

So, if I got the Grundig Sat For Free set-up that the MIL has, I'd be able to simply just replace the receiver box with a better one like an FTA or a Freesat HD+ receiver when I've the time and money to sort it out? :)

I have a ******* box that 'someone I know' used to use to Dublin.

I don't suppose that's any good to me?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Thanks Lads.

So, if I got the Grundig Sat For Free set-up that the MIL has, I'd be able to simply just replace the receiver box with a better one like an FTA or a Freesat HD+ receiver when I've the time and money to sort it out? :)

I have a ******* box that 'someone I know' used to use to Dublin.

I don't suppose that's any good to me?

I would not swap a Sat4free for a standard Free to Air box the sat4free has a 7 day guide and the channels automatic update themselves no need to retune every few months unlike the Free to Air box. As for the other illegal box you mentioned i would say bin it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Thanks Lads.

You could try the freeview approach, and see if you get anything. Both Presseli and Llandona should be possible. Advantage is that you do not need a Sat dish, and with the right TV you will get all your programmes on the one box with one remote.

All for free. :D

Apart from buying the aerials.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

Try having a look on here www.satellite.ie

Tony is very helpful and would be able to advise you on exactly what would suit :) And also he gives discounts for boards.ie users :)

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Martin_F

make your MIL jealous - get yourself a pvr - the Humax from richersounds is a good deal

http://www.richersounds.ie/asp/category.asp?ObjectID=938&Mode=0&CategoryID=6

alternative might be something like the MVisoin Combo - Sat & DTT but record only via external hard disk.

oh and +1 for dealing with Tony @ satellite.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Bigbearphil

Hi
    My dad lives in Carlow and he's one for the horses and has Chorus. Over christmas we're off to see him, but I hate the horses and wondered if his old sky box will take a freesat card and me and my mrs can sit upstairs and watch RTE BBC etc. If his old skybox can't take it, will a new freesat box from the UK?

Thanks guys

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hi
    My dad lives in Carlow and he's one for the horses and has Chorus. Over christmas we're off to see him, but I hate the horses and wondered if his old sky box will take a freesat card and me and my mrs can sit upstairs and watch RTE BBC etc. If his old skybox can't take it, will a new freesat box from the UK?

Thanks guys

An old Sky box (once connected to a satellite dish) can pick up a lot of channels, including BBC, C4, ITV, C5 and many more without a subscription and without any card.

It won't pick up RTE, TV3, TG4, you will need an aerial to receive those.

There is no such thing as a Freesat card, there is a Freesat From Sky card, but that only gives you a small few extra channels like Sky 3, Five US, etc. not really worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

bk wrote: »
    There is no such thing as a Freesat card, there is a Freesat From Sky card, but that only gives you a small few extra channels like Sky 3, Five US, etc. not really worth it.

While this is correct AFAIK FSFS has more interactive options than Freesat at present although it is not officially available in ROI so best to go for Freesat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭stevethesatguy

the humax foxsat hdr is a great receiver

sky 60cm dishes are readily available

as is 20m od rg6 cable

you will also need a DTT aerial for RTE

try and do the install yourself,,its quiet easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

GET A freesat box with epg, it should be labeled sat4free .YOULL get
    these channels http://www.freesat.co.uk/index.php?page=whatson.Main&PHPSESSID=l82j3u1aaco611nr4fkrkjdh03,
    or get a freesat hd box if you want hd hidef channels too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 board member

What is the deal with RTE over satellite? Why is it not available? What would it take to have it available? I would drop sky in an instant if it were....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What is the deal with RTE over satellite? Why is it not available? What would it take to have it available? I would drop sky in an instant if it were....

Lots of previous threads about this, go and search.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Quick answer - lots of programmes rights issues is one of the reasons why RTE is not FTA on satellite nor is it likely to be in near future. As you imply more's the pity. Only too glad I can pick it up via an aerial here in NI.

Advertisement