Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Justified - [US] ** Spoilers **

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Absolutely superb stuff! Possibly be the one worthwhile new drama this season.

And not just the best "midseason" pilot but the best pilot by a long shot for the 2009-2010 season.

Fantastic lead performance from the always fantastic Olyphant, and a great supporting performance from Walton Goggins (
    I was worried it would be the last we saw of him when Raylen shot him.. until the revelation he survived obviously
    ).

Some damn fine writing and set pieces (the ambush outside the motel) in there too.

"Moar please FX!!"

EDIT: And it's premiere got the second ever highest ratings for FX since 'The Shield' in 2002.. this one could definitely be here to stay:
    Justified-2.jpg

Good numbers for Justified’s premiere, and it’s worth scrolling down for the historical best premieres on FX, as some of those started better than they finished. A show like Sons of Anarchy, FX’s current biggest hit (with even better 18-49 numbers than Justified’s premiere) isn’t among FX’s best premieres. Justified scored a 1.5 rating with adults 18-49, measurably less than SOA was typically doing on Tuesdays at 10p last fall.

It will be interesting to see the ongoing numbers.

via press release:

JUSTIFIED SEIZES BIG RATINGS

Justified Scores Second-Highest Series Premiere Ever for FX

Critically Acclaimed Drama Delivers 4.16 Million Viewers and 1.42 Million Men 18-49

Marking Highest Delivery in Those Categories Since The Shield Premiere 3/12/2002

Second Highest Delivery of Men 18-49 Ever for a Basic Cable Scripted Series Premiere

Basic Cable’s #1 Program Tuesday in Total Viewers, A18-49, M18-49, M18-34, A25-54 and M25-54

And Was TV’s #1 Program in M18-49 and M18-34 in the 10 PM Time Period

LOS ANGELES, March 17, 2010 – FX’s critically acclaimed new drama Justified got off to a great start Tuesday (10-11:10 PM, 3/16/10) as the series premiere episode posted 4.16 million Total Viewers and 2.04 million Adults 18-49. Justified recorded 1.42 million Men 18-49, which was the second-highest delivery in that demo ever for a scripted series premiere on basic cable.

Justified’s delivery of Total Viewers and Men 18-49 ranks second all-time for an original series on FX just behind the Emmy® and Golden Globe® award-winning drama The Shield (4.83 million Total Viewers and 1.74 million Men 18-49; 3/12/02, which pre-dates DVR data).

Justified ranked #1 for the night in basic cable in Total Viewers, Adults 18-49, Men 18-49, Men 18-34 (694,000), Adults 25-54 (2.19 million), and Men 25-54 (1.42 million). Justified also ranked #1 in all of television in the 10 PM time period in delivery of Men 18-49 and Men 18-34, broadcast or cable.

The combination of Justified and its lead-in movie, Live Free or Die Hard, led FX to the top spot in basic cable prime (8-11 PM) in Adults 18-49 (1.33 million), Adults 18-34 (654,000) and Men 18-49 (902,000). The encore airing of the premiere episode (11:10 PM-12:23 AM) notched an additional 1.85 million total viewers and 1.01 million Adults 18-49.

FX-Historical-premieres-590x125.jpg
    Source: TVByTheNumbers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

Definitely here to stay I'd say. Solid throughout - I particularly enjoyed Olyphant in the lead but I want to see more of pretty much everyone that we saw, from the other U.S Marshalls, to the villains, to the unhinged (ex)wife, etc...

And the conversation in the church was really enlightening, where Raylan alludes to the fact that there is more to what Boyd does and he's not just some dumb racist redneck...

From next week's synopsis, it seems the show is going to be
    more procedural in nature with Raylan looking into various cases with some episodes throughout the season probably focusing on the rivalry/main plot with Boyd then

Very good start though, looking forward to more of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,747 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It got off to a good start so far - Its one of the best new shows imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

It was enjoyable enough...not exactly action packed, but more character based stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,015 ✭✭✭✭adox

The pilot is free to download on the US iTunes store for those who don't have American cousins. Looking forward to watching this in the next night or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,589 ✭✭✭Tristram

Strong first episode. Hopefully can continue!

Ratings for last night, down a bit but still #1 in cable (no sign of the ep. btw):

http://tvbythenumbers.com/2010/03/24/justified-drops-15-from-premiere-still-tops-tuesday-night-cable/46036

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Ratings for last night, down a bit but still #1 in cable (no sign of the ep. btw)
    It's out there.. I saw it.. it was a good episode but more of a standalone episode than further progression of the Boyd (etc) storyline, although liked his scene with Raylan at the start.

What made this episode great was Olyphant's performance was top-class as usual, Cooper was very likeable and the scene in the store was superb (loved Raylan's realisation of the clerk wearing the T-shirt they're selling in store behind him!). Also loved the shouting request of "Freebird" to the prison band.

I read a TV critic say that this was the weakest of the first four episodes, but it was enjoyable!

basquille wrote: »
    I read a TV critic say that this was the weakest of the first four episodes, but it was enjoyable!

Glad to hear it. Nothing special but good fun.

Solid episode. How many in this season? I wonder when we will meet the father.

• Advertisement

IMO....it felt a bit messy, ep. 3 - it wasn't hugely engaging, interested to know more about Raylin's father. I see he's porkin' that trailer trash blonde now....sheesh!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Watched the first episode.

Seems a little OOT.

Like the rednecks attacking 3 US Marshalls with machine guns (and condemning themselves to the chair) just so Walton Goggins could be alone with Timothy Olyphant.

I'm enjoying the show a lot but think that it needs to decide what it wants to be. Either it's a serious show with comedic moments or a comedic show with dramatic moments.

I'm enjoying the show a lot but think that it needs to decide what it wants to be. Either it's a serious show with comedic moments or a comedic show with dramatic moments.

Surely it's the former?

Tristram wrote: »
    Surely it's the former?

When I say comedic I don't mean a show such like My Name is Earl, something more along the lines of MASH which remains to this day one of the best dramedy ever made. Mash perfect balanced the comedic elements alongside some fairly hard hitting material.

I think that the writers set about to make a much darker series in the vein of the Shield but over time it transformed into a much lighter and easier to digest show.

The opening episode is superb and gets the tone just right but subsequent episodes have swung from comedy to drama with wild abandon. It's still an absolutely fantastic series and one of the few in recent memory which I will be adding to my Blu Ray collection the day it's released.

When I say comedic I don't mean a show such like My Name is Earl, somethign more along the lines of MASH which remains to this day one of the best dramedy ever made. Mash perfect balanced the comedic elements alongside some fairly hard hitting material.

I think that the writers set about to make a much darker series in the vein of the Shield but over time it transformed into a much lighter and easier to digest show.

The opening episode is superb and gets the tone just right but subsequent episodes have swing from comedy to drama with wild abandon. It's still an absolutely fantastic series and one of the few in recent memory which I will be adding to my Blu Ray collection the day it's released.

Thanks for clarifying. I get where you're coming from now. I don't however seem to find the show as funny as you. Maybe I'm missing out on something...?

Tristram wrote: »
    Thanks for clarifying. I get where you're coming from now. I don't however seem to find the show as funny as you. Maybe I'm missing out on something...?

It's not a show that will have me rolled over with laughter but there are a lot of small moments which bring a smile to my face but then again I laughed at a number of intended comedic moments in Edge of Darkness and was the only one in the cinema to do so.

Justified continues Tuesdays at 10pm on FX in the US. It will premiere in the UK on Wednesday, May 5 at 10pm on Five USA.

I stopped watching after ep. 3 - should i pick it back up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Outstanding episode this week, I thought. That scene with Raylan and Boyd with all the extreme closes ups of their faces was amazing. Reminded me of a Sergio Leone flim. Raylan didn't didn't have his hat on at any point this week, either, which is interesting. And I'm pretty sure that was the first time he ever lost his cool, too.

It's great that it's turned more serialised. Long may it continue. Reminds me of season 1 of Sons of Anarchy. That started off the same way too.

Also, the Reverend from Deadwood. :D I haven't seen him in anything since. God, I miss Deadwood.

loving it

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Sorry I gave this a two episode go and it's just awful.

Thats great news on the show being renewed :D

It is one of the best new shows so far

Following Justified's Season 2 renewal, recurring guest star Walton Goggins has been promoted to series regular.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

Terrific episode this week. Very low key compared to previous weeks. Not a shot fired. :D Great to see Dan & Bullock reunited. They need to get Ian McShane on as a guest star.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭InisMor

Will any UPC channel be showing this?

The pilot was good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I would expect Network 2 to pick this one up during the summer months, possible on Thursday nights.

Raylen's address of the congregation was hilarious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Heard Hoosier from The Pacific is in this... he any good?

I think I might watch this series to fill the void left by FlashForward, House and the others that are finished up for the summer.

Is it worth my while?

• Advertisement

Heard Hoosier from The Pacific is in this... he any good?

Is it worth my while?

No and yes.

Advertisement