Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airsoft Artillery

Options
2»

Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto


    Definatly get the vid-joe up asap i really want to see this in action now :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,722 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe


    Can you please explain how you got 'around' the legality thing?

    Does it fire any projectiles with more force than a joule? And do you have a way of measuring the output?

    Apologies if that sounds accusatory, it's not. It's just when I hear the combination of airsoft, artillery, home made, air pressure, twice the length of our site, really hurts...alarm bells start going off. As this reminds me of a similar incident another site had a while back.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded


    o1s1n wrote: »
    Can you please explain how you got 'around' the legality thing?

    Does it fire any projectiles with more force than a joule?

    The law (as I am aware) is:

    Anything with a barrel that fires projectiles with a muzzle energy of a joule or more is considered a firearm. Our mortor system has no barrel so as far as I know it obides by the law o1s1n. It has been tested at close range (on me) and there was no injury.

    If I am wrong the power at which it fires can easely be reduced.

    P.S

    I can't really start a thread and then flip at the moderators when they ask questions now can I?

    I missed your other quesion there sorry, we can attatch a thinner valve to have it fire through a chrono.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding


    the problem is without a barrel any release is very diffused, we played with a catapult style system but the problem was the bb spread to far, was the only system we could come up with that did not included something that could in theory be classed as a barrel

    if you using air pressure you would still need a container to hold the bb and the release system would have to be behind, only a small number of way you could use air pressure to fire bbs :), i have no idea what constitutes a barrel but i;ve never seen a size restriction, even a 1 inch container to hold the bb in place could theoreticaly be classed as a barrel, would be something to check up on

    all the version of artillary i;ve seen have been from country with far loser retrictions on this kinda thing and they have stil not really taken off, by the nature they will always be very short range and a defensive measure,


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded


    Puding wrote: »
    the problem is without a barrel any release is very diffused, we played with a catapult style system but the problem was the bb spread to far, was the only system we could come up with that did not included something that could in theory be classed as a barrel

    if you using air pressure you would still need a container to hold the bb and the release system would have to be behind, only a small number of way you could use air pressure to fire bbs :), i have no idea what constitutes a barrel but i;ve never seen a size restriction, even a 1 inch container to hold the bb in place could theoreticaly be classed as a barrel, would be something to check up on

    Thanks Puding,

    Basically the thing that holds the bbs is just a valve and in no way could be considered a barrel, it is the valve that restricts the power and the amount of bbs used in the device.

    The one we are currently using holds roughly 1500 bbs and fires distance of roughly 60 metres I would say (we haven't measured it yet).


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding


    the problem i could see is that the system to hold the bb above the valve by its nature is a container with a hold at each end so a tube, someone could may argue its a barrel, like someone else said might be best to get 100% clarification,

    i would imagine its like a sawn off shotgun, the spread must be massive at 60m, i know the differance between my m203 and my gp30 the m203 is about a 45degree spread the gp30 is about 90degree

    not being negative this is somthing i;ve worked on myself :)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded


    Puding wrote: »
    the problem i could see is that the system to hold the bb above the valve by its nature is a container with a hold at each end so a tube, someone could may argue its a barrel, like someone else said might be best to get 100% clarification,

    i would imagine its like a sawn off shotgun, the spread must be massive at 60m, i know the differance between my m203 and my gp30 the m203 is about a 45degree spread the gp30 is about 90degree

    not being negative this is somthing i;ve worked on myself :)

    Ah I'm not taking any comments as being negative mate, I appreciate all views (thats the reason I started the thread). I'm pretty sure the valve couldn't be considered a barrel dude. Its just a wee valve sure.

    If there are issues with it I can just as easely attatch a new valve and lower the power down the 1 joule limit though so no worries.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded


    Here are the links to the videos of us testing the prototype of our artillery system. We are using this device as the idea to base our plans on. When we decide to go ahead with it the actual device will most likely be much bigger.

    >snip<


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo


    so the artillery piece is a bead-blaster?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,763 ✭✭✭Airsoft Reloded


    thermo wrote: »
    so the artillery piece is a bead-blaster?

    We have been trying to find out how we should go about making an artillery system for some time now, a sling shot with a wad, without a wad, a larger version of the airsoft mortor sold at MIA, a catapult and so on.

    The Bead blaster (if thats what it is) is the first device that gives a realistic possibility. We will most likely be using a different (and much bigger) device that works on the same principles


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭johnfagan


    Thanks for the link guys ha


  • Registered Users Posts: 34,722 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe


    Sorry guys, but after seeing those videos I'm not happy having this thread here at all. Please do not post up any such home made devices in future.

    I will remove the youtube links from your post. If I were you I would completely remove it from youtube altogether.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement