Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Living on rice cakes

Options
  • 04-11-2009 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

So one day in school i was eating a rice cake at break and one of my friends was like "omg I hope your not on one of those rice cakes and water diets!!!" and I said no don't be silly because I wasn't - but I was thinking OMG what a good idea I never even thought of that!!!
    So basically I'm 17, 5'9", 11 and a half stone. I'm over weight and I want to be skinny, about 9 stone.
    So if I took vitamins, drank lots of water, ate a rice cake for breakfast, lunch, tea, and then had a proper dinner at 5pm when I get home from school, would I lose weight and would I do it without damaging my health???
    I just plan on doing this until I reach my goal weight and then I'll be healthy after that.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

No please don't do that, eat healthily and exercise.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

You are NOT overweight first of all, your just at the age where you think your fat no matter what. You'll look back in 10 years and wonder why you ever bothered worrying about it, trust me.

Second of all, if you deprive your body of adequate protein you'll cannibalise your muscle and end up with a higher percentage of body fat.

I was on every diet under the sun at your age including slimfast and I'm pretty sure it messed up my metabolism in the long run.

Eat more unprocessed food if you want to be healthier and avoid junk food.

But please please don't eat only rice cakes, it's a recipe for becoming depressed and neurotic about food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

No please don't do that, eat healthily and exercise.

+1 eat a healthy balanced diet .. cut out junk and take aways etc and do plenty exercise .. at your age you will drop a stone easily! and that is about as much as you should lose given your height ....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

KateC92 wrote: »
    I just plan on doing this until I reach my goal weight and then I'll be healthy after that.
    Your metabolism would be severely disrupted and slowed at this stage, if you went back to eating what you did before you would get even bigger than before. i.e. it is textbook yo-yo dieting, many people have spent years in this vicious circle, you are young so please do not start down this road.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-yo_dieting

You would also be weaker as you would lose muscle. Rice cakes are not particularly good either, they are heavily processed, people figure they are good since they are so bland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

KateC92 wrote: »
    So one day in school i was eating a rice cake at break and one of my friends was like "omg I hope your not on one of those rice cakes and water diets!!!" and I said no don't be silly because I wasn't - but I was thinking OMG what a good idea I never even thought of that!!!
    So basically I'm 17, 5'9", 11 and a half stone. I'm over weight and I want to be skinny, about 9 stone.
    So if I took vitamins, drank lots of water, ate a rice cake for breakfast, lunch, tea, and then had a proper dinner at 5pm when I get home from school, would I lose weight and would I do it without damaging my health???

As a woman, personally the most difficult aspect of losing weight for me was resisting the 'quick fix' diets that jump out of you in magazines, through hard core dieting friends, 'light bulb' moments that pop into your head that seem like a cure-all to your weight and your general body confidence.

Be a bigger person. You don't, ever, 'reach my goal weight and then I'll be healthy after that'. You'll either A. falter at the first hurdle and end up in a starve/binge cycle i.e miserable, B. lose the weight and put it back on and then some over a course of weeks, months etc through eating all the food your body craves i.e miserable or C. become obsessed and enter a deeper, more cynical stage of dieting i.e very, very miserable.

Weight loss can be an enjoyable and confidence boosting activity, if you educate yourself on nutrition and work with your body, as opposed to against it.

Read the stickies and realise that it doesn't happen overnight, and if it does, it never lasts.

Good luck :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

It will not work, you will faint before you have lost anyweight!!!

You are not overweight, I am 5ft 6in and 11 stone (wanna be 10st 7) so at 3inches taller than me you are not over weight!!!

To loose any weight you want (not more than a stone) eat a bit less and exercise!!!

I have had big thighs all my life even after I lost 3 stone and its only since I have started to walk / run that they are shrinking!!!

Slow and steady wins the race!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

Wow. Just think how BORED you'd be eating that until you reached your goal weight!! It really isn't the answer at all. Stick to salads and lots of fruit and veg and you will see the weight drop off. If you want to lose weight you have to find a "diet" that is not a fad and that you can sustain for the rest of your life, trust me, this is true. If you do fad diets you might lose quickly, but you will gain quickly as well once you stop doing the diet. I've gone from a size 14 to a size 6 steadily over the past couple of years and it really is due to a change in my lifestyle. I'm not a gym bunny and I don't deny myself treats - I am just sensible with my choices.

By any means incorporate rice crackers into your diet (they are so good for lunch with some salad, relish and a little protein on top) but be realistic and don't try to live off these alone. I think you'd lose weight on pretty much any healthy food if you just lived off that one thing... like if you lived off carrots for a few weeks! lol Sounds ridiculous doesn't it! So don't just pick one food to live off, live off loads of good foods! :pac: :pac: :pac:

p.s. thought I'd edit my post with a few helpful suggestions:
    soups
    stir fries
    small portion of lean meat/fish & a large helping of veg
    stews
    salads
    smoothies
    veggie tacos/fajitas

Just ease up on cheese, carbs and red meat and I bet you will see a difference.

Advertisement