Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Restaurant in Gorey??

Options
  • 04-11-2009 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am trying to find a good restaurant in Gorey for tonight. I rang Ludz, it's closed tonight and no one is answering the phone at La Rochelle, I've been ringing them since monday. Anyone have any ideas of a really good place to eat out? It's for a celebration so it has to be really nice. ( I know, I left it very late but assumed La Rochelle would be open :o )

There is a place near Paddy Blues but I can not remember the name. Any ideas?

Thanks a million :)

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Have you not tried ECO yet http://www.ecogorey.com/index.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Wizard007

That's where we ended up. Thanks :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I only went to La Rochelle once because of the state of the meal i got. Neither of the dinners were cooked properly and then it was hideously overpriced!

Any word on what it's been like recently?

Wild Spice IMO is one of the nicest indian restaurants i've ever eaten in in Ireland. Really a big fan.

There is also Porto Fino, and the newish Italian on the First Floor opposite supervalue. Both really good.

Never went to Ludz, Not great by the sounds of things,
    Luna Rossa has always been an on, off kind of eatery.
    I cannot stand the Carvery in the Ashdown + Amber Springs to me it tastes like all their food has been conditioned with a certain type of "everything tastes the same spice" It's all Sweet with a little sour. Some people really like it, but i don't.
    Their restaurants on the other hand are prob the finest in gorey and you do pay for it, but it's better to pay €15< on something that's delicious rather than paying €12.5 on something which isn't...
    Pools is ok every so often, but they keep the same menu every week so unless you like to eat the same thing everytime you go somewhere then your visits should remain be few.
    Heard mixed reports about the new look Coach House.

What does everyone else think?

The best I've been to so far as this side of the country is the Thai and Hong Kong Garden in Arklow, ( not an option for last night unfortunately as the "celebratee" is not that into chineese / thai ) their satay is the best ever and their yangzhou fried rice is brill. I have to say I used to love La Rochelle. I must try the other places you've mentioned.

The worst ever place I've been to is the Rhu Glen down below New Ross, been there twice and everything from the state of the ware to the food was just so so bad.

Wizard007 wrote: »
    The best I've been to so far as this side of the country is the Thai and Hong Kong Garden in Arklow

Hmmm, cheers

I left out the Thai restaurant upstairs over eurosaver, It's really nice.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The finest dining in the county in my opinion has to my local weekend stop http://www.viaveneto.ie/ in wafer st Enniscorthy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭DustyBin

Effluo wrote: »
    Hmmm, cheers

I left out the Thai restaurant upstairs over eurosaver, It's really nice.

+1 for Kin Khao Thai restaurant

That and Eco are probably the two best in Gorey IMO for food, value & atmosphere. Can't beat the early bird in Kin Khao, whilst you should always go for the special in ECO.

Was in the restaurant upstairs over the Coach House a few weeks ago - the food is really nice but it is a bit pricey, and the dining room got really really loud the night we were there

Oh, nearly forgot, can't beat Partridges for a posh Saturday lunch!!

And I like Case Pepe too

Do not like La Rochelle - used to be great, but has really gone to the dogs, and the food defo doesn't reflect the prices

If money's not a problem and you've got a driver try Marlfield or Papa Rhodes
    (it's been a long time since I was in either of them - probably gonna be another while yet :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭secman

Papa Rhodes is now closed for the Winter, it only opens from April till October .

Secman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Evely016

My 2 fave restaurants have to be Eco and Royal Garden in Gorey. Eco for atmosphere, good service and good food (especially Pizzas but they have a bit of everything) and Royal Garden for really tasty chinese. Royal Garden has to be the best chinese restaurant in Gorey and both also do take away if you are willing to collect yourself - no delivery is the only downside!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Wizard007 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am trying to find a good restaurant in Gorey for tonight. I rang Ludz, it's closed tonight and no one is answering the phone at La Rochelle, I've been ringing them since monday. Anyone have any ideas of a really good place to eat out? It's for a celebration so it has to be really nice. ( I know, I left it very late but assumed La Rochelle would be open :o )

There is a place near Paddy Blues but I can not remember the name. Any ideas?

Thanks a million :)
    have a drive up to the parkview house in shillilagh,

• Advertisement

scaller wrote: »
    The finest dining in the county in my opinion has to my local weekend stop http://www.viaveneto.ie/ in wafer st Enniscorthy.

Ok I'll try this one next time we're going out to eat :)

Eco is really fab.

I'm looking foward to trying Papa Rhodes when it re-opens, I have heard so much about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Mr.Boots

Eco is very average.
    Kin khoa is the best in my opinion as long as you like thai.
    pappa rhodes has a super atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sue Zanna

The Restaurant over the coach house pub is super yummy, must try that thai gaf....

The park restaurant in Arklow is good.
    It's in the carpark beside garda station.

http://www.theparkrestaurant.ie/

Ate in eco a few Sunday's ago...
    Couldn't believe how bad it was! :o

Can't really remember what I had(wasn't great), but I will never forget what the person I was eating with had. It was supposed to be a Thai Green Curry, but ffs it was like the cook had never used Curry paste before. There must have been half a jar of the stuff in the curry.
    It wasn't that it was hot, it literally just tasted as though there was nothing but curry paste in it and it was disgusting.
    No idea where they get their pricing or fans from.

The Indian over the sports shop by Byrnes World of Wonder is p good, nothing spectacular. Very friendly staff though... funny guys :D

Also Luna Rosa have some really really lovely Greek food right now. I was eating a late Lunch in Oscars on Monday and it was really great. They've got some new more modern seating in, so it's more clean now. The food was great a table of 6 all eating different dishes and everyone couldn't praise it enough. Fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Sue Zanna

yeah ate there at eco and twas very disappointed...luna rossa was average, the french waiter was very rude but twas fast, coach house restaurant is d best, forgot the name now do.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭wonderworm

Italian - Casa Pepe
    Indian - Wild Spice
    Thai - Kin Khao
    Fish and chips - King Cod

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Nialloooo

Kelbys bistro in the Amber Springs is good and cheap also, nice quite dinner and nice view out the back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I really don't get all the hype about Eco. Its totally overpriced

I love Toss Byrnes in Inch, Great value and great food

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

I like Eco for the pizzas...and they are so filling one between 2 is plenty. There non pizza dishes can be hit and miss; had the mushroom and pasta dish recently (can't remember what it's called) and it tasted like it was served in a bowl of oxo chicken stock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 familygurl

Luna Ross is under new management now though... A greek/irish family have taken it over now. Ate there a few week ago and the food was beautiful and the service was great too. It has a really nice atmosphere to it. the guy who took it over is one of the chefs and his daughters are the waitresses. Its Greek and Italian food they do now. Yum yum is all i can say!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Goreygal

Ooh.. will have to give that a try.. love greek food and really miss not having access to a greek restaurant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 familygurl

Do its lovely!! Highly recommend it! Big fan of greek food myself so was delighted to find it and another great plus about it is they do belly dancing nights too so they're different and bring something new to the town :) I'd book before hand though just to be safe rather than sorry and missing out on the experience which i received :)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

Casa Pepe is good. Most of the chinese places are good. Royal Garden would be top of my list though. Ashdown hotel bar food is fairly good as well. The Taravie Hotel in Courtown is a good spot for good honest dinners. Great for the roast dinners, the steaks and pretty much anything you get on your plate.
    Eco has been way over hyped. Seems to have a loyal following though.
    Has anyone tried Katie Dalys yet? Or Soul Cuisine on Esmonde St?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shambol123

Soul Cuisine is by far best food in Gorey, they are mostly open for lunch, but Fri and Sat they are open in the evening with a very decent menu, very reasonably priced, you can bring your own wine (always a plus, as most wine lists in other restaurants contain overpriced cheapest quality wine). The menu in the evening is for every taste- great seafood dishes, even had an octopus one night! It is very small, but so worth the money- i am a big fan!

I dont think there is anywhere good to eat in Gorey anymore.
    Looking foreword to pappa Rhodes opening up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shambol123

Papa Rhodes has been sol on and it is not the older couple who runs it now, it is the previous Portofino's crowd, so I would have too much expectations for it to be honest. Cool place to have a restaurant though

Didnt know that...Portofino was pretty bad...pity :(

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭JayEnnis

If you're willing to travel the Galo Chargrill in Enniscorthy is one of the nicest restaurants I've eaten in.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Will be getting an Indian this weekend. Never got one from any place in Gorey before. Is Wild Spice still the place to go?

Advertisement