Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats causing this??!

Options
  • 03-11-2009 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭

Just popped up, never seen it before, fiance says it happened a few times recently on the laptop in the past few weeks..

95185.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

a quick google seems to suggest that's a virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The prompt itself is a virus or the cause of one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

Yep, its malware, a Koobface variant. Looks like you're being used as a human captcha solver :pac:

You need to get to the malware forum and sort it asap anyhow.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Moved from laptops.

ive downloaded the newest avast version, and it ran from a re boot and deleted many many files.. its a v2googlesence trogan in win32 or something to that line - if that means anything to you.

I wasnt using an active antiviral up to this point.. yea i know stupid.. when the reboot and delete was done the min i opened up the internet avast caught and alerted me to 3 more of the same type of fiiles and recommended i remove them to the chest... once done no other problems.. so far..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 amandakel2003

hi
    :confused:
    i have also been hit by the captcha virus from facebook. i'm completely stupid when it comes to technology and don't know much about viruses. i received the message from someone i know so trusted it. onlyy realise now that it was a fake.

unfortunately my malware virus protection had expired. i installed avast antivirus and did a scan. it detected the virus and stored it in a chest.

does this mean that my computer is virus free now? what did the virus do? are my passwords and bank details safe?

feel like such an idiot but any info on this would be greatly appreciated

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

What other anti virus programs do you have?
    These are some online scanners you can run.
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    http://www.eset.ie/onlinescan/

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/WelcomePage.asp
    languagecontent%5Cie%5Csym%5Cimages%5CContinue_mouse_over.png

This bastard of a virus has essentially killed my laptop.

It takes about 20 mins to start up. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

you should read sticky threads

Please download GooredFix from one of the locations below and save it to your Desktop
    Download Mirror #1
    Download Mirror #2
    • Ensure all Firefox windows are closed.
    • To run the tool, double-click it (XP), or right-click and select Run As Administrator (Vista).
    • When prompted to run the scan, click Yes.
    • GooredFix will check for infections, and then a log will appear. Please post the contents of that log in your next reply (it can also be found on your desktop, called GooredFix.txt).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

human captcha solver, It's genius really. where there's a will there's a way:rolleyes:.

• Advertisement
Advertisement