Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Artist Spotlight Thread

Options
  • 03-11-2009 12:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭

Hey,

I thought instead of starting a new thread every time we come across somebody new and exciting and it only get one or two replies only to be lost for all time, thought we could do a thread where we could stick up some artists we want to see get some shine, maybe stick up some vids, and have it as a resource for all to check out when looking for somebody new.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Anyway, first up for me is Nneka. She's not strictly hip-hop, although one of the reasons i got into her was a recommendation from a thread here.

She's a nigerian r n b/soul singer, bit brings many hip-hop elements to the table, and also raps a bit on some of her songs as well. Very close in style to Lauren Hill, but coming from where she's from, she's got something different to say. She does a lot of religous themed stuff, a lot of political type songs, but doesn't come across overly preachy.

Here is a couple of links to videos, check her out. She has a new album coming out next spring as well, i think she's starting to move into america (according to okayplayer)

"Africans"

"Heartbeat"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sQpMJC7uLU

"Kangpe"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1n4gHp2t20

"Warrior"

"Quit"

Also, if anybody knows of any similar artists, please let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Listening to those songs that where posted, good stuff! She kinda reminds me of a female Bob Marley!

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Here's a new emcee that kind of fell below the radar even though he dropped a great ep last year imo.

His name's little vic, heres a few tracks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAHvDOUZsE8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRliya2xb_s&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmeAX2Zr1Xw

by the way this thread is a great idea, nice work floggg!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just to recap a few of the notable mentions so far:

Phillip Morris
    K'Naan
    Fashawn
    Mac Lethal

Blitz the Ambassador
    Wax and EOM
    Siah and Yeshua Dapoed
    Homeboy Sandman

There are also a few others that i've come accross recently. I'll start posting them soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Yes to Nneka, a million times over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Orizio wrote: »
    Yes to Nneka, a million times over.

Feckin amazing, isn't she!

I only got into her a few months ago. Still only have the first album, victim of the truth. am holding off on getting the second one, no longer at ease, till i fully wear it out (which may be a while).

Incidentally, just finished the book no longer at ease is named after as well!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Some of you may have heard of Cymarshall Law, he's just about to drop a new album and from what i'm hearing, i dig it.

Just stumbled accross this video:

I know nothing about him, but he has a killer flow and rhyme pattern in this song. DJ-JS1 is nice on the cut, i know more about him than lifelong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

Jon Hope

Elemental Zazen

Blame One

Mally

Granite State (Bugout & Doug York)

Bliss N Eso

The Lytics

Macklemore

Panacea

Krukid

illogic

Ohmega Watts

Qwel & Maker

Urthboy

Finale

Grynch

Redrama

Mr.J.Medeiros

• Advertisement

Kam Moye

Sene

Diamond District

Paten Locke

A.P.

Exposition

Longshot

Paperboys (Vinnie & DJ Pope)

Promoe

D-Sisive

Sonreal

Illmaculate & OnlyOne

The 49ers

The Lyricists

The Regiment

Cyne

NoNeedz

Alpha Noise

Was bored with that poxy weather outside so done a bit of digging through my music and posted up a good few artists that i don't think too many people would know of but deserve a lot more attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

cool, will listen to later.

+1 for liking the new cunninlynguists album so far

floggg wrote: »

Also, if anybody knows of any similar artists, please let me know!

Have you ever checked out Stephanie McKay, her first album is brilliant (self titled)

Advertisement