Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reasonably priced vegetarian stores in Galway

Options
  • 31-10-2009 11:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭

Can anyone recommend one? I gonna try going veggie for the month of November (nothing religious, just an excuse to).

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Terryland fruit and veg good for just the veg. You need to eat other stuff though!:P

Evergreen or Healthwise for your nice whole grains, polenta, tofu etc.
    Indian for going out to eat. Eastern Tandoori do half dishes of the veg, so you can try stuff you haven't before. Yum!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

inisboffin wrote: »
    Terryland fruit and veg good for just the veg. You need to eat other stuff though!:P

Evergreen or Healthwise for your nice whole grains, polenta, tofu etc.
    Indian for going out to eat. Eastern Tandoori do half dishes of the veg, so you can try stuff you haven't before. Yum!

Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

A lot of the basics like veg, tinned beans and tofu are cheaper in supermarkets such as tesco than in Evergreen. The cheapest tofu I've found in Galway has actually been in Dunnes in Edward Square. The Cauldron brand they sell in Tesco is the best though.

Healthwise is cheaper than Evergreen for some things but there is a more limited range.

If you need ideas on what to eat feel free to ask in the Vegan and Vegetarian forum!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=572

All lovely people in there :)

Also, for eating out, La Salsa and Couch Potatoes are pretty good. The market at the weekend is also great, pity it's not there all week. Galway needs some permanent falafel vendors!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

In fairness, I find that Evergreen is a lot cheaper than Dunnes and Healthwise generally, and has much more choice and more knowledgeable sales assistants. Dunnes' in Galway have hardly any choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

Joyces in Athenry actually have quiet a decent selection of Vegan/Veggie stuff. Not sure if the one in Knocknacarra is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭inisboffin

I find better quality in general in the healthfood shops than Dunnes, and not much of a price diff on the speciality stuff. Evergreen is cheaper for some stuff than Healthwise and vice versa. Evergreen have 1/2 price stuff in their fridge (use within 2 days stuff) and tbh you can get cheap organic tofu there sometimes. Don't forget the Asian/Indian shops for great deals on beans, lentils and boil in the bag veggie dishes.
    Beans and pulses are way cheaper dry, some don't need tons of cooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 unachicagilmore

Evergreen are def. good for half-price, short-dated fresh vegetarian stuff. Great, cheap way of trying veggie alternatives. I got handy leaflets there before for veggie options and cooking too. Just ask for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

If you're living in Doughiska, they have a fruit 'n veg open 7 days a week... I found the selection so so and in fairness, Lidl's organic fruit and veg is really affordable

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

dantbyhid wrote: »
    Joyces in Athenry actually have quiet a decent selection of Vegan/Veggie stuff. Not sure if the one in Knocknacarra is the same.

Ah yes, I forgot about Joyces! It's excellent for veg, really good quality. I don't live in Knocknacarra but it's well worth the cycle. Plus, what other supermarket has several types of tofu and falafel? :)

There's just a couple of things cheaper in Tesco than evergreen, tofu for example, and tinned chickpeas etc. I know it's cheaper to buy dried beans in bulk but I'm just way too lazy :o
    Lidl's organic fruit and veg is really affordable

Yeah, theirs is the cheapest I've seen. Aldi's good for 'normal' veg too, decent quality, selection, price etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Gadfly

Greaney wrote: »
    If you're living in Doughiska, they have a fruit 'n veg open 7 days a week... I found the selection so so and in fairness, Lidl's organic fruit and veg is really affordable

Thanks for that. I often shop in Lidl in Doughiska and Aldi in the westside.

I'm on day 3 of my veggie regime. :)

One thing I want to avoid is vegetarian processed food from the freezer cabinet. I think the salt content in those products can be quite high.

I'll pay a visit to the V&V forum.

• Advertisement
Advertisement