Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sandwich tips...

Options
  • 30-10-2009 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I eat ham in my sandwiches every single day and have recently been thinking about trying a bit of vegetarianism. What can I replace ham with in my sandwiches, but still have a tasty sandwich? Are there any fake-ham type veggie meats? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Good thread this, I've also not been able to master the art of the vegetarian sandwich. Peanut butter on it's own is all I've been able to muster so far. Cheese tomatoe and hummus wold maybe be good? (haven't tried that my self but that might be ok, like with a mild cheddar)

Where do you live? Quorn do a really extensive range of meat style cold cuts in the north.
    Most healthfood shops can get you VegiDeli rashers. Which I prefer to use as a cold cut.

I like cheese ploughmans, or toasted cheddar, pickle and tomato.
    I also like toasted wraps with warmed feta, sunblush tomatos, rocket, pinenuts and olives slices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I like cheese ploughmans, or toasted cheddar, pickle and tomato.
    I also like toasted wraps with warmed feta, sunblush tomatos, rocket, pinenuts and olives slices.

Actually I had this on a train recently and it was the best vegetarian sandwich I've ever had.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Some varieties I like:

Hummus, carrot, sesame seed and rocket.

As above but replace carrot with roasted red pepper.

Tofu (roasted in peanut oil and soya sauce), cheese, salad leaves and carrot.

As above adding cooked potatoes (boiled, roasted, whatever)

Cheese, homemade coleslaw (home grown carrots and savoy cabbage), homegrown tomatoes and homegrown beansprouts with homegrown salad leaves

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

At the mo i'm eating redwood fake ham slices with mustard and mayola mayo.
    Tomato, lettuce and mayonnaise used to be my popular one. Just gotta make sure it doesn't fall apart before lunch! Good old cling film :) Mmmm yeah, coleslaw too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Where do you live? Quorn do a really extensive range of meat style cold cuts in the north.
    Most healthfood shops can get you VegiDeli rashers. Which I prefer to use as a cold cut.

I live in Dublin (city). I haven't seen Quorn cold cuts before, but they probably cost an arm and a leg, do they? I was in a supermarket last night and didn't see any vegetarian options among the sandwich meats...

I live in Dublin (city). I haven't seen Quorn cold cuts before, but they probably cost an arm and a leg, do they? I was in a supermarket last night and didn't see any vegetarian options among the sandwich meats...

They are generally kept in the veggie section. You might get them in Dublin, you'd have more choice than me.
    They arent any more expensive than decent ham.

I have noticed a preety big mark up in Dublin on tofu products in healthfood stores though.

How are the fake ham slices Sweetie?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭ButterflyGirl23

Health food shops sell ham style slices. You could always have them while you start to experiment with different foods and get your taste buds use to different things.
    When I first turned vegetarian, I ate a lot of faux meat but now i'd only have it the odd time. I've stopped craving that meat taste and started craving other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

How are the fake ham slices Sweetie?

Delicious for an easy lunch ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I eat ham in my sandwiches every single day and have recently been thinking about trying a bit of vegetarianism. What can I replace ham with in my sandwiches, but still have a tasty sandwich? Are there any fake-ham type veggie meats? :confused:

plenty of veggie deli meat things about.

I'm wird, my favourite sandwich is egg mayonaise, sweet corn, hard boiled egg and cheeessse mmmm..

or veggie sausages and sweet corn and fried egg or... MMMMM sandwiches

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

A demi baguette with a sliced ball of mozzerella, a sliced tomato, dribble of olive oil and salt and pepper is yummy.

Hummous (especially the red pepper one from M&S) or tzatziki are really nice in wraps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Sock Monster

http://subway.ie/menu/subs/classic/veggie-patty-.aspx

This is my favourite Subway Sandwich, it might give you some inspiration.

I ask for it heated and almost always the subway worker will change their gloves before they start making it which I think is very respectiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

I ask for it heated and almost always the subway worker will change their gloves before they start making it which I think is very respectiful.

Not a fan of the veggie patty [usually just get piles of veggies and honey mustard hummm] but big fan of subway in general - most of the ones in the uk have signs up saying if you want their gloves changed or a different knife etc used just ask but most times they do it without having to be asked. Alot better then my local shop were I got super dirty looks for asking them to use a different cutting board rather then the one covered in mayo, tuna, chicken and god knows what else from the last 20 sandwiches they've made without cleaning it, the knife or changing their gloves. Will walk clear the other end of the town to subway now where they are more swamped then local shop yet still manage to keep the place clean.

Back on topic big fan of using sliced avocado myself rather then fake meat - over ripe ones are mushy and should be used to make guacamole but a just ripe one is firm and fatty rather then sweet so very good for sandwiches.

I like to be able to identify what the matter was before it made it way into my sandwich.
    I'm too paranoid to be dealing with this veggie patty lark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NGO

I like to be able to identify what the matter was before it made it way into my sandwich.
    I'm too paranoid to be dealing with this veggie patty lark.

ingredients:
    http://veggiecookster.blogspot.com/2007/05/veggie-patty-subway.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I do like me a bit of peanutbutter and anything-banana, apple, onion, raisins...Apart from that in school I used to like cream cheese, tomato, onion and avocad. Or hummus-good to go with that is sweetcorn or tomatoes (if you use a wrap it won't get as soggy). Get a can of any type of beans and whizz it up with a bit of oil, some lemon juice, garlic to taste and cumin-that idea was shamelessly stolen from someone here :P-and you have a good amount of lovely spread, just lob it in with some veg/sprouts/whatever.

Oh and this site has a huge sandwich section for the more adventurous and accomplished amongst us (ie, not me) http://www.veganchef.com/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I like spreads on my sandwiches. I recently came up with a lentil spread that's quite tasty.

Chop up some onions and mushrooms finely and fry then until they start browning. Put about 1 cup of lentils (brown ones, Tescos until recently had black beluga lentils they were the best!) in a pot and fill up with vegetable stock, add the mushrooms and onions. Boil until the lentils are mushy, if it goes to dry top up with more stock.
    Put the mixture in a blender to smooth it down (I like it a little chunkier, but you can keep it going until totally smooth), then add a handful of oat flakes and put back on the heat for a short while, until the oats disolve.
    Add some chopped parsley.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

sounds lovely!

Shenshen wrote: »
    I like spreads on my sandwiches. I recently came up with a lentil spread that's quite tasty.

Chop up some onions and mushrooms finely and fry then until they start browning. Put about 1 cup of lentils (brown ones, Tescos until recently had black beluga lentils they were the best!) in a pot and fill up with vegetable stock, add the mushrooms and onions. Boil until the lentils are mushy, if it goes to dry top up with more stock.
    Put the mixture in a blender to smooth it down (I like it a little chunkier, but you can keep it going until totally smooth), then add a handful of oat flakes and put back on the heat for a short while, until the oats disolve.
    Add some chopped parsley.

Well there's dinner sorted! That sounds amazing!

Once you perfect the recipe you are allowed to visit :p

• Advertisement

I'm allowed anyway excuse you very much!

Prove it! (bring sandwich)

I'm not your sandwich fairy! I have a sandwich though. You can't have it, but it's lovely.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Well there's dinner sorted! That sounds amazing!

Hehe... let me know how you get on. My husband still refuses to try it, because he's put off by the colour (I've yet to find a way to make boiled lentils look attractive)
    I love it best when spread on toast and with a little Polish or Dijon mustard on top, possibly even with a gherkin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

sandwiches:
    roasted vegetables
    cheese & pickle
    cheese, tomato & cucumber
    sundried tomatoes, pesto & rocket
    cream cheese & cranberry sauce

bagels:
    banana & peanut butter
    melted cheese, gherkin & BBQ sauce
    pesto, mozzerella & sundried tomatoes

wraps:
    stir fried peppers & onions with guacamole, salsa & refried beans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭netanyahu

Some varieties I like:

Hummus, carrot, sesame seed and rocket.

As above but replace carrot with roasted red pepper.

Tofu (roasted in peanut oil and soya sauce), cheese, salad leaves and carrot.

As above adding cooked potatoes (boiled, roasted, whatever)

Cheese, homemade coleslaw (home grown carrots and savoy cabbage), homegrown tomatoes and homegrown beansprouts with homegrown salad leaves

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Jam and cheddar is surprisingly nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Toasted mcCambridges bread, avocado slices, marmite, cucumber slices and sunflower seeds all time fave sandwich.

Stir-fried veg, hummous, toasted seeds and soya sauce is also lovely in pitta breads.

Advertisement