Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Altern-8 No More (note Dublin gig goes ahead this weekend)

Options
  • 29-10-2009 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭

I just read on Mark Archers facebook page that Altern-8 are no more due to legal reasons he cant say anything else for now but this has got to do with a long running dispute Mark has had with original member Chris Peat over who has the rights to the name Altern-8, and by the sounds of it the powers that be have ordered that Mark Archer and Mark 1 (dunno his surname)can no longer use the name Altern-8 anymore or wear their trademark chemical warfare suits, im gutted over this as will thousands others, Altern-8 are one of the all time greats of the Rave scene and whilst they never took themselves seriously they were responsible for some groundbreaking tracks, as Altern-8 they only ever produced one album, the groundbreaking Full On Mask Hysteria which was a massive hit and is revered as an all time classic, prior to Altern-8 they were known as Nexus 21 and released some amazing tracks,but it's Altern-8 who were the catalyst for many people to get into the Rave scene and they influenced many artists.

I'm sure Mark Archer will continue to DJ as he is an excellent DJ and is known throughout the planet and will no doubt still continue to play out, but this is a very sad day for dance music, like them or not, you cant deny that Altern-8 were a massive part of the Rave scene and a massive influence on thousands of people.

ALTERN-8 I SALUTE YOU

ONE OF THEIR BEST EVER TRACKS
    Altern-8 - E-Vapor-8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSg0-dMK5Fk

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

That's a shame alright :( Wonder what the story is with their gig in the Vaults tomorrow night then?

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

In fairness they have been no more for about 16 years now - their last track together was in 1993.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Felixdhc wrote: »
    In fairness they have been no more for about 16 years now - their last track together was in 1993.

Not true, after they split in 1993 there was a few years when there was no Altern-8, then March Archer started it again with his mate Mark 1 and they have been playing all over the world since then.

Dunno about the gig in the Vaults tbh, Mark Archer may turn up but just dj himself i don't know!

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭KEN.G

I can confirm that the gig in the Vaults is 100% on tomorrow night with Altern 8 in the form of Mark Archer and Mark Buttler in there chemical suits as planned as they always are.

Original Altern 8 member Chris hasn’t DJed as Altern 8 in a while now so I'm not sure what the shock is all about, really the only difference is the legal battle between Mark Archer and Chris.

KEN.G wrote: »
    I can confirm that the gig in the Vaults is 100% on tomorrow night with Altern 8 in the form of Mark Archer and Mark Buttler in there chemical suits as planned as they always are.

Original Altern 8 member Chris hasn’t DJed as Altern 8 in a while now so I'm not sure what the shock is all about, really the only difference is the legal battle between Mark Archer and Chris.

for a start don't be so fcukin childish and call me jonny mountain mole hill catch yourself on, if you don't believe me go onto Mark Archers facebook page the man himself has said it, this is not idle gossip,if the gig goes ahead fair enough,im only telling it as i see it yeah!!!

• Advertisement

jonny68 wrote: »
    Not true, after they split in 1993 there was a few years when there was no Altern-8, then March Archer started it again with his mate Mark 1 and they have been playing all over the world since then.

Dunno about the gig in the Vaults tbh, Mark Archer may turn up but just dj himself i don't know!

Thats been going on since June between Mark Archer and Chris. Very suspect how you would post this the night before our gig? What do you think Jonny?

Thats been going on since June between Mark Archer and Chris. Very suspect how you would post this the night before our gig? What do you think Jonny?
    what in the name of jaysus are you on about, your gig wasn't even remotely on my mind and for you to try and suggest that i actually posted something like this to somehow disrupt your gig is madness, utter madness in fact, i know well this has been going on for a long time between Mark Archer and Chris Peat, again i say to you, if you don't believe me check Mark's facebook page, im only saying what i have seen myself, im as gutted as anyone over this as im a massive Altern-8 fan and have been since they started.

So along with his mate did they continue to produce new music over the years since the 1993 split with Chris Peat?

So along with his mate did they continue to produce new music over the years since the 1993 split with Chris Peat?

No but does it matter,they still played out all over the world to thousands of people, just because they didn't produce any more music and concentrated on dj;ing instead doesn't make them any less of an act.

Standing for election was one of many stunts they pulled :D they actually polled 158 votes:D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altern-8

• Advertisement

No but does it matter,they still played out all over the world to thousands of people, just because they didn't produce any more music and concentrated on dj;ing instead doesn't make them any less of an act.

So since 1993 has it been Mark 1+2 playing DJ sets as Altern 8?

So since 1993 has it been Mark 1+2 playing DJ sets as Altern 8?

Mark Archer and Mark 1 have been playing DJ sets as Altern-8 since late 90's (im not sure of the exact year)Mark Archer being one of the original members.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,516 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

To avoid any possible confusion I've edited the thread title. I'd hate for some rumour to get going that might affect numbers attending the gig this weekend.

Oh and all the petty crap on this thread stops now please.

KevIRL wrote: »
    To avoid any possible confusion I've edited the thread title. I'd hate for some rumour to get going that might affect numbers attending the gig this weekend.

Oh and all the petty crap on this thread stops now please.

that's no problem as i said im only stating what i have read on Mark's facebook page unfortunately it's not a rumour the man himself has said it, i do hope the gig goes well, i think ill do an Altern-8 tribute mix this weekend:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭Is mise le key

I'm sure Mark Archer will continue to DJ as he is an excellent DJ and is known throughout the planet and will no doubt still continue to play out, but this is a very sad day for dance music, like them or not, you cant deny that Altern-8 were a massive part of the Rave scene and a massive influence on thousands of people.

ALTERN-8 I SALUTE YOU

ONE OF THEIR BEST EVER TRACKS
    Altern-8 - E-Vapor-8

One of the first Rave CD's i bought was this one & still have it........

http://www.discogs.com/Altern-8-Activ-8-Come-With-Me/master/6927
    R-18061-1225205627.jpeg

So i am sorry to hear this alright......why after so long though has it come to a battle over the name if it was being used by the two marks for years with no problem???????

Have to say i didnt realise that it wasnt the original line up but hey same sh.it happened to the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Guns N Roses...... its nothing new........TOP ONE, NICE ONE, GET SORTED:)

We still have the tunes & thats what matters.

Ah here man jonny a good sort.........stay of the weed man:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Love the way threads by jonny nearly always turn into b1tchfests. :p

As for Altern 8. Liked them when they came out first during the early Rave scene but it's not a sound I particularly stuck with.

On a side note, I remember being quite surprised when it was revealed that Altern 8, or Mark Archer in particular, was behind Slo Moshun and their hugely hyped track Bells of New York. The track was cleverly marketed in that it was released in typical US style import wrapping and a lot of UK DJs at the time were really pushing the US sound and 6x6 exploited this to great success. The track was huge at the time. It also helped that it was a great tune.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Ken, take this as a positive and start getting word around that tonight's gig is Altern 8's last ever gig. That should get a few more heads in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

So let me get this straight. The original Altern-8 stopped producing together in 1993 and havent released anything since. Then one of the guys is going around with some other guy Djing as Altern-8. The other original member gets the hump and wants him to stop using the name. Whats to stop the 2 guys doing the exact same Dj set under a different name. Its hardly the end of the world all it means is they cant use the name anymore.

One of the first Rave CD's i bought was this one & still have it........

http://www.discogs.com/Altern-8-Activ-8-Come-With-Me/master/6927
    R-18061-1225205627.jpeg

So i am sorry to hear this alright......why after so long though has it come to a battle over the name if it was being used by the two marks for years with no problem???????

Have to say i didnt realise that it wasnt the original line up but hey same sh.it happened to the Stones, Fleetwood Mac, Oasis, Guns N Roses...... its nothing new........TOP ONE, NICE ONE, GET SORTED:)

We still have the tunes & thats what matters.

Ah here man jonny a good sort.........stay of the weed man:D;)

Nothing to do with the weed my friend :D
    I'm getting PMs asking if the gig is still on even with all the reassurances above.
    So just to be clear I was speaking to Mark and he said........

The Facebook account was set up by some Australian bloke and Mark has no control over it. Nothing has changed except Mark will probably have to appear as "ex-Altern 8 Mark Archer" in the future. Hope that clears this up we are looking forward to have a good session tonight.

I would be gutted if the 2 Marks had to give up the DJing because they always play a truly Oldskool set and put on a good show and they wont try push some new productions on you.....Oldskool to the core bring it on :D

DEVOTION wrote: »
    Ken, take this as a positive and start getting word around that tonight's gig is Altern 8's last ever gig. That should get a few more heads in.

Ah come on now.......first off so you dont take this the wrong way BIG respect to you, Ken, Darragh & all the lads involved in setting up the gigs & keeping the Rave alive for so many people you truly are the driving force behind the Rave today.......the Rave would never have become what it is today unless people like your selves were so committed & devoted to the tunes but its hardly the last ever gig by Altern8!!!

When the legalitys are settled it will either be one of the two boys that retain the right to use the name of their former duo........potentially it could be the lads that have been using it for the last 16 years & then it will be back to gigging as normal. If its Chris Peat then sure its no different to what has been altern 8 for years one half of a duo doing gigs under the name Altern 8.

Anyway the only reason i had to say it was someone might be pis.sed off thinking they were going to the last Altern 8 gig only to discover some time in the future that they are playing again.

All that said i hope the gig is packed out & the tunes are bangin so hard that you all leave with ringing in your ears...........

:)TOP ONE, NICE ONE, GET SORTED:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    So let me get this straight. The original Altern-8 stopped producing together in 1993 and havent released anything since. Then one of the guys is going around with some other guy Djing as Altern-8. The other original member gets the hump and wants him to stop using the name. Whats to stop the 2 guys doing the exact same Dj set under a different name. Its hardly the end of the world all it means is they cant use the name anymore.
    Happens all the time when bands split up.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭DEVOTION

Ah come on now.......first off so you dont take this the wrong way BIG respect to you, Ken, Darragh & all the lads involved in setting up the gigs & keeping the Rave alive for so many people you truly are the driving force behind the Rave today.......the Rave would never have become what it is today unless people like your selves were so committed & devoted to the tunes but its hardly the last ever gig by Altern8!!!
    :)TOP ONE, NICE ONE, GET SORTED:)

No worries mate - I hear what you're saying and I'm not taking it the wrong way. :) As things stand, this will be their last gig as Altern-8 though. :) If that changes in the future then so be it but for the moment that's the way it is unfortunately.

DEVOTION wrote: »
    No worries mate - I hear what you're saying and I'm not taking it the wrong way. As things stand, this will be their last gig as Altern-8 though. If that changes in the future then so be it but for the moment that's the way it is unfortunately.

I hear ya.....the most important thing really is......
    THE GIG IS ON & ITS GOING TO BE BANGIN
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

Nothing to do with the weed my friend :D
    I'm getting PMs asking if the gig is still on even with all the reassurances above.
    So just to be clear I was speaking to Mark and he said........

The Facebook account was set up by some Australian bloke and Mark has no control over it. Nothing has changed except Mark will probably have to appear as "ex-Altern 8 Mark Archer" in the future. Hope that clears this up we are looking forward to have a good session tonight.

I would be gutted if the 2 Marks had to give up the DJing because they always play a truly Oldskool set and put on a good show and they wont try push some new productions on you.....Oldskool to the core bring it on :D

Ken, the facebook account is Marks himself, your probably looking on the Altern-8 tribute page or something but Mark's own facebook page is his own.

Anyway if this is their last ever gig as Altern-8 it will be a momentous occasion,obviously they will still play out but cant use the actual name.

(and please mate think before you jump to conclusions in future yeah:);))

I hear ya.....the most important thing really is......
    THE GIG IS ON & ITS GOING TO BE BANGIN
    :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

good stuff :D

MikeHoncho wrote: »

True, but the actual name Altern-8 is so well known and the fact that people wont see it on flyers anymore (or anywhere) is a bit sad, it's not the end of the world no but it's sad when things come to this but im sure the 2 Marks will soldier on.

Ken, the facebook account is Marks himself, your probably looking on the Altern-8 tribute page or something but Mark's own facebook page is his own.

Anyway if this is their last ever gig as Altern-8 it will be a momentous occasion,obviously they will still play out but cant use the actual name.

(and please mate think before you jump to conclusions in future yeah:);))

I'm only telling you what Mark told me he said “Sorry for any inconvenience but that group has been set up by someone from Australia and has nothing to do with me" Could be the wrong page alright.

I haven’t the time nor patients to go back and forth with this any more Jonny except to say your thread title "Altern 8 No More" was at the very least misleading.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭FLYNN-DOG

I haven’t the time nor patients

Are u a doctor and a promoter?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭es-cee

all i have 2 say is what a night!!!! absolutely mental best hight in years!!!!!!!:D;):D;):pac::cool::P:confused::eek:;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 chrispeat

Firstly I would like to thank all you loyal supporters for keeping the scene alive and still banging out tunes and gigs all over the world, this is what makes dance music special and long living.

This is the real me "Chris Peat" ex Altern8 Keyboard player, producer, manager, agent, accountant and legal beagle, now with a degree in Computer Science and currently a Software Developer somewhere in the Midlands, with my own recording studio where I produce original material.

I feel I have to say a few things here on this forum as a lot of people are very confused about what is and has been happening for the past 15 years with Altern8's gigs and promotions.

Firstly Mark Archer LEFT the band / duo in 1994 in a very bad way (which I will not go into), started another band called Slo-Moshun and released some tunes which had some commercial success. He then went on to do some more DJing and remixes as himself under different guises. This left me to pickup the pieces of the Altern8 / Nexus21 / C&M Connection business and close the doors to all.

Mark and I agreed to not use the name again unless we did it together.

Shortly after, he had not had much success as himself DJing and remixing, he started to use the name Altern8 again to promote himself and the Altern8 MC Mark Butler (Mark1). I complained to him personally about this on many occasions and he stopped doing it and started DJing as himself again for a few years and then lo and behold he starts promoting himself and Mark1 as Altern8 Live again claiming that he was doing nothing wrong and that it was the promoters doing the advertising (using my picture, name and other materials), claiming that "For the first time live since 1994" etc. etc.

In my eyes and everyone elses eyes that I spoke to including various lawyers, artists and friends, Mr Archer had left the band and at that point he was no longer allowed to use the name for himself or indeed any of the clothing, material or masks.

I have been trying to make him see sense for a few years now and have finally come to a point where I have no patience left for his attitude towards me and my rights as an artist, producer, human being, founder member of the band etc. etc.

The only way to stop him is to go to court because he constantly and knowingly infringes my rights.

ALTERN8 have been no more since January 1994 and at this point in time there seems no chance of there ever being a reunion of the original members due to the attitude of Mark.

IF ANYONE SEES ANY ADVERTS FOR ALTERN8 / NEXUS 21 OR C&M CONNECTION IN THE FUTURE IT WILL NOT BE A REAL PERFORMANCE ON STAGE OF THE BAND AS IT WAS BACK IN THE DAY BECAUSE I WILL NOT BE THERE. IT WILL BE A DJ SET OF MARK ARCHER AND MARK BUTLER PRETENDING TO BE THE ORIGINAL BAND. PLEASE POST ON HERE ANY ADVERTS YOU SEE REFERING TO ALTERN8 GIGS IN THE FUTURE AND I WILL ACT ACCORDINGLY.

I have no problem with Mark's chosen career and do wish him the best of luck with it, but we all know why he is using the name ALTERN8, it's making him more money than if he advertises himself as himself, DJ NEX, "Slo-Moshun" or any of his other pseudonames. He has never offered to renumerate me for any of his use of my material, name, pictures or anything, he is just lying to people and conning the average raver out of their hard earned cash by falsely claiming that he and Mark1 are ALTERN8.

So Ravers and Ravettes alike I thank you for reading this and do hope in future that you now KNOW THE SCORE.

If you think I'm just being bitter and twisted then thats just your opinion.

If you think I'm being ripped off, just like eveyone else then that is also your opinion.

What really matters to me is the opinion of the law in this country and I am very very sure that I will prevail and be happy with the outcome.

TOP ONE, NICE ONE, GETTING IT SORTED !

Advertisement