Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm no longer vegan

Options
  • 25-10-2009 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

Real cheese ftw, tbh! Woop!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

hating to be the first to ask and all...

but what was it that made you decide to become vegan?

and what was it that made you dedie to bring dairy back to your life?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭electrofilth

Well I used to be an environmentalist, or to put it better, I always considered the effect that all my actions had on the Planet, I felt gulity and I was moved to make a personal change as a stance against all the bull**** I saw around me. I believed in animal rights and a lot of the extremist views that flow in such circles. These days, I don't have the same beliefs or convictions.

I think the planet is ****ed and we have passed the point of no return that a lot of people are convinced we have another ten years before we reach. Sorry for the negativity, these are just my opinions...

I used to have friends/girlfriends that were vegan, now I no longer am surrounded by them. No so easy, when you have no support/people to share meals with....

Plus, my head got so ****ed up this year from a bad end to relationship that I simply didnt care what I ate, all the meanings to things faded away when I could barely get out of bed some days.

And, finally Dairy food is actually nice in small doses, even if I dont feel as "light" as I used to be when I was vegan.

There ya go!

Are you finding the change difficult on your system so to speak?

Did I hear the vegans at the Hell meet. Talking about how the rest of us smell of milk?

Is that true?

Well when I first started eating cheese, I broke out in spots on my legs for a week or two and I felt heavy and tired from the digestion that I wasn't used to, but now I'm grand.

I wouldn't drink a straight glass of milk, it doesnt appeal to me, but I'd anything with milk in it, no bother.

Currently some days I'd eat just vegan food and be happy out, other days I pig out on ****e and dairy and feel *bleurhg*

Overall I still eat healthily, so generally I still feel good, although I dont feel as light as I used to. I have put on zero weight, just as I lost no weight going from meat>veggie and veggie>vegan.

Are you serious about the milk thing? Ha ha thats sounds like a load of crap, dunno what the hell they were on about! I've only ever known a few vegans, but some talk an awful load of bollix...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I've been an on/off vegan for years now. I still slip up sometimes but as long as I'm vegan 99% of the time that's ok by me. Nobody's perfect. I also do it more for health than ethical reasons. I feel healthier as a vegan, but it is SO difficult when you aren't surrounded by vegans. When I moved here 6 years ago I was a vegan but I gave up on it due to the lack of health food shops here compared to in the uk. Now, I find it so much easier seeing as I can get most of my food in tescos no bother, and there are now so many more health food shops and asian supermarkets. Ireland has really improved in this sense over the past few years.

I think people should eat what they are comfortable eating. To be honest though, I think the dairy industry is so much more cruel than the meat industry. That is just my opinion though. I'd much sooner have to eat meat than dairy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Did I hear the vegans at the Hell meet. Talking about how the rest of us smell of milk?
    Are you serious about the milk thing? Ha ha thats sounds like a load of crap, dunno what the hell they were on about! I've only ever known a few vegans, but some talk an awful load of bollix...

I heard that Asians often find us "westeners" quite smelly with the oul' dairy products an' all. Apparently we smell of sour milk.

I think the dairy industry is so much more cruel than the meat industry. That is just my opinion though.

How so?
    I'm not being judgemental btw, I'm just interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭I-like-eggs,mmm

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    I heard that Asians often find us "westeners" quite smelly with the oul' dairy products an' all. Apparently we smell of sour milk.

True.
    But they reek of rice and garlic. Quite a tasty smell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Went to Hell Pizza on Saturday night as a carb loading exercise for the Marathon - had the vegan option as I didn't need the cheese swilling around my system for 26 miles. Not bad, but wouldn't convince me that life's worth living without a bit of cheese, or milk, or chocolate, or yogurt, or sherry trifle, or cream on me apple tart or BUTTER!, or porridge made with milk (porridge with water = gak). Having said that the occasional foray into veganism does make me feel healthy and happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yes. porridge with water = bleh! Hence use oat or soya milk to cream it up :)
    There are plenty of decent alternatives for cream, yoghurt, milk, chocolate and butter. I agree that I never thought I could live without butter... but three years later I don't miss it :)

• Advertisement

yes. porridge with water = bleh! Hence use oat or soya milk to cream it up :)
    There are plenty of decent alternatives for cream, yoghurt, milk, chocolate and butter. I agree that I never thought I could live without butter... but three years later I don't miss it :)

So did I, but after being vegan for four years I forgot how good butter, cheese and all that tasted!! Theres no comparison... Still use soya milk sometimes, although I dont even know why they call it soya "milk" when it has absolutley no similarity to real milk...prefer rice milk to be honest.

And funnily enough I like porridge with just water + a little salt, healthiest breakfast you can have!

Butter melted in a puddle in the middle of your porridge, with brown sugar sprinkled on top....is savage.
    But I prefer soya milk.

Cheese and fresh yogurt I couldn't live without.
    Butter and eggs I wouldn't particularly care about.
    Well except for fluff. Who wants to live in that kinda world. :P

Advertisement