Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ludovico Einaudi

Options
  • 22-10-2009 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Just wondering,

Any other fans of his?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭shell022

yup, me. I think he's amazing. went to see him abou three years ago in the helix. wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I love him for being my gateway into classical music. Still like to ocassionally listen to his music.

However, I don't think I could hack a whole concert of his music, I'd imagine I'd get very bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Dr Gradus

Yeh i thought the same thing, went to see hin the NCH earlier in the month and i have to say i was very very impressed. The place was booked to capacity and he deservedly got two standing ovations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

It's fairly bland stuff in my view. When i first heard Le Onde or I Giorni,it certainly was fresh for a while but a lot of his compositions sound to me like the same tune over and over and over and over again. Aural chewing gum.
    In fairness in his album Divenire, he uses production and the Liverpool Philharmonic in a lot of the tracks which gives some badly needed texture.
    Einaudi is the grandson of a former Italian president and a one trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I heard I Giorni about a year ago on Lyric, and said I had to remember that name.

I love his stuff. He's not as religiously minimal as say Glass or Reich, but more melodious. I like him.
    Agreed with Divinere though, the fuller sound works wonders. Primavera is a particular favourite of whoever does the soundtracks at Top Gear.

• Advertisement

I agree that tune does tend to pop up a lot!

I listen to a fair bit of philip glass as well, but i just feel drawn to einaudi more, it seems so much more accessible. I can see where some people would find the music repetitive, but it emphasises the importance of expressive playing and really bringing out the melody even in the most simple of phrases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I like it and have all the albums.
    In fact, I only heard about him from this forum!

And then after that recognized some of the music from TV ad's.
    Never been to a classical concert but I know what I like

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 The Nice Jumper

Yep heard this chap being interviewed on lyric a while ago. Love his music but couldn't find it as I couldn't remember his name/spelling. Thanks for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

:)

Won't pretend I know anything about the Piano, but his music works beautifully in the below film/programme.

Fuori dal mondo (This Is England)
    Dietro Casa (This Is England)
    Earth Prelude (Britain In a Day)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭dannyc31

one of my favourite composers. his stuff is the material i'd aspire to play one day. i'm only doing grade 2 piano at the moment so i've a bit to go ;)

does anyone know if he will be playing any gigs in the uk or ireland in 2013?

• Advertisement

He's playing a few concerts in England in April to promote his new album 'In a Time-lapse'. Only got a listen to it today, really really nice so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tazzo

He's very good, although I understand the connotations on him being a one trick pony. That said, he has been an awful lot of people's route to classical music or classically inspired music. He does have an ear for melody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

Came across him first on the sound track to "The Mountain" - most viewed video on vimeo.com and well worth a look.
    Nuvole Bianche still my favourite track although have not listened to all of his albums yet.

He's very good, although I understand the connotations on him being a one trick pony. That said, he has been an awful lot of people's route to classical music or classically inspired music. He does have an ear for melody

this is what gets me. if you have your own style or a sound you have created yourself and you excel in it, you get called a 1 trick pony. the guy is genius when it comes to melody and knowing what works, hell you only have to see every second tv commercial features a sample of one of his pieces.

when i started getting into beethoven i did not know his whole piano reportoire, i still dont but i turned on Lyric fm one morning to be captivated by a song they were playing, my first instinct was "that sounds like Beethoven" and i was right it was a Beethoven piece. does that make Beethoven a one trick pony when it comes to his piano sonatas or does it more likely mean that this is his sound and when you write music and create a sound it comes from the heart and soul and not your brain & finger tips. one of the greatest forms of expression we have as humans we should cheerish it not criticise it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭fanki na pengin

Deathwish4 wrote: »
    :)

Won't pretend I know anything about the Piano, but his music works beautifully in the below film/programme.

Fuori dal mondo (This Is England)
    Dietro Casa (This Is England)
    Earth Prelude (Britain In a Day)

Agreed! It definitely worked well in 'This Is England'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

I've been a fan since 1998. Seen him twice now - once in the Helix, once in the Ulster Hall. Nice guy.
    Getting sick of hearing his music everywhere on TV nowadays though. :(

yeah i hate when a really good artist with a loyal following starts to get mainstream. seen an advert for his latest album on tv3 the other night. nooooooooooooo, the masses will start talking about Einaudi in the same conversation as one direction :(

you do hear his stuff alot on tv series and ads, i'd say he's a close second behind pieces from Hans Zimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

dannyc31 wrote: »
    yeah i hate when a really good artist with a loyal following starts to get mainstream. seen an advert for his latest album on tv3 the other night. nooooooooooooo, the masses will start talking about Einaudi in the same conversation as one direction :(

you do hear his stuff alot on tv series and ads, i'd say he's a close second behind pieces from Hans Zimmer.

He was always mainstream ! Actually MOR to be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

my son was in a piano competition in Dublin last week and one of the other kids played "I Giorni" it was hilarious as it went on for 6/8 pages so it was bound to annoy the judges if you have to listen to 18 or 20 pieces ;-) , the parents seemed to think he was brilliant but from a judging perspective there isnt much to the piece.

the thing is if a 9 year old can this type of music does it just show that there isnt that much to it although it may sound nice its just a variation on 4 chord "pop music" ?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

anyone else at Einaudi on sunday night? he and his fellow italian musicians lifted the roof off the place. say what you like about the man, he knows how to work an audience into raptures of Joy. fantastic time had by all and gave him a fantastic standing ovation.

bring him back soon please :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭PurplePrincess

I was there on Saturday night and I loved it. He was just amazing and you can see him and the orchestra love what they're doing. The second half where it was just him playing was really intimate and I had a lump in my throat when he played I Giorni. The audience loved him and he got well deserved standing ovations.

Advertisement