Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does it take to reach the next level

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭

Hows it going everyone 2 questions really

What did it take everyone mentally and commitment wise to consistently believe and achieve the following

(A)24 darts and lower
    (B)21 darts and lower
    (C)18 darts and lower

Im asking the question because i seem to be stuck on a 57-70 average the past while (6months) and have been practising probably 6 hours a week (never throw on the weekend as i always seem to be too busy:pac:)

Second question is, i need a good practice routine to get into (especially doubles as im shocking at them) has anybody got any good practice routines that will set me some goals to aim for and give me something to motivate me to stick to these routines, as all i do in practice is hammer the treble 20 bed out of it (well at least try to:rolleyes:) and play games of 501 which im sure will only get you to a certain level??

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Well I'm the same as yourself, I have been stuck around the 60 mark for a few months now. I only ever practiced at home though, I have joined a pub team for this season and am hoping that this experience and drive will help me to get better.

There are plenty of different routines you can do to practice. Bobs 27 is the best for practicing doubles, google it for how to play it. Also have one go at finishing every checkout form 60 up, this is great practice all over the board and will also improve your counting.

For your usual practice playing 501 you should download N01 software. It allows you to play against a computer oppenent with different levels of difficulty. This is much better and more challenging than playing on your own. it also keeps track of all of yoru stats.

Keep at it and practice, practice, practice and hopefully you will improve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I would say you would need 2-3 hours a night to get to the next level of consistency, because its more about muscle memory than length of session, so day to day your arm remembering how to throw accurately

even a hour each day in my head anyway is better than 4 hours on a friday and and hour on the monday. because your getting the arm going each day

When im playing badly i put away N01 and i play around the clock and note the darts taken to go round in each turn
    1-20 Big segment of each number (try get under 30)
    1-20 Small segment of each number (try get under 40)
    1-20 Doubles (finish on the bull or 25) (try get under 50)
    1-20 Trebles (finish on the bull or 25) (try get under 50)

because you go right around the board aiming everywhere you improve your hand eye co-ordination because your working out all the types of throw you may try for and your also trying to get under a target, and then your best becomes the target

always seems to help me get going after bad form

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Well I'm the same as yourself, I have been stuck around the 60 mark for a few months now. I only ever practiced at home though, I have joined a pub team for this season and am hoping that this experience and drive will help me to get better.

There are plenty of different routines you can do to practice. Bobs 27 is the best for practicing doubles, google it for how to play it. Also have one go at finishing every checkout form 60 up, this is great practice all over the board and will also improve your counting.

For your usual practice playing 501 you should download N01 software. It allows you to play against a computer oppenent with different levels of difficulty. This is much better and more challenging than playing on your own. it also keeps track of all of yoru stats.

Keep at it and practice, practice, practice and hopefully you will improve.
    Thanks for that ive already the 2 dart software programmes you can download on the net, no1 and dartpro I think if ou really want to see a steady progress in your game youve really got to be putting at least 12 hours a week which is really hard to do if you havent got the time!

Ive joined a team myself this year played 1 game and lost it 2-1 after being 1-0 up and i had the throw to win the game, scored well enough but just could not hit those damn doubles, although i didnt beat myself up too much as it was my first league game ever and i was shaking like a leaf:eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Let's go though a few question.

Where are all of these 'extra' darts that you are trying to shed commng from ? Is it coming down ? Are you missing doubles ?

Do you know your outs ?

Are you setting up your outs with every throw?

Do you know which darts/numbers not to throw ?

Are you only trying to get to certain doubles ?

Are you 'afraid' of getting caught with certain finishes ?

Do you find yourself asking yourself loads of questions? j/k

These things should be second nature to you as you are throwing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Let's go though a few question.

Where are all of these 'extra' darts that you are trying to shed commng from ? Is it coming down ? Are you missing doubles ?

Do you know your outs ?

Are you setting up your outs with every throw?

Do you know which darts/numbers not to throw ?

Are you only trying to get to certain doubles ?

Are you 'afraid' of getting caught with certain finishes ?

Do you find yourself asking yourself loads of questions? j/k

These things should be second nature to you as you are throwing.
    Yes I know my outshots the best part of my game is my counting, im a decent enough scorer its just when im setting up shots (200 and under) i start to throw stupid darts like 26's and 45's and thats when i start to think negative, im not joking you i played my brother earlier and he beat me 5-3 and most darts i threw were just on the wire or in the treble 5 or treble 1 bed, i no im not throwing badly its just hitting stupid scores like that is :mad:demoralising:mad::(and affecting my game/performance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Yes I know my outshots the best part of my game is my counting, im a decent enough scorer its just when im setting up shots (200 and under) i start to throw stupid darts like 26's and 45's and thats when i start to think negative, im not joking you i played my brother earlier and he beat me 5-3 and most darts i threw were just on the wire or in the treble 5 or treble 1 bed, i no im not throwing badly its just hitting stupid scores like that is :mad:demoralising:mad::(and affecting my game/performance

It sounds like you are at the point where you are overthinking before you throw and then letting your emotions get to you and then over thinking everything again.

I think that we have all been there (and still there LOL).

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭greened

you are definetly thinking to much and putting to much pressure on yourself. Forget about averages and number of darts per game for a while and just throw when you can and enjoy throwing. You will relax more this way and when you are relaxed you will play better. Before you know it you will be playing better, scoring better and finishing better and without realising it you will be finishing games in less darts and as a result winning more. It is not all about throwing the lowest amount of darts you can, it is about about throwing one less than the person you are playing against,

just enjoy them for a while and stop thinking so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

greened wrote: »
    you are definetly thinking to much and putting to much pressure on yourself. Forget about averages and number of darts per game for a while and just throw when you can and enjoy throwing. You will relax more this way and when you are relaxed you will play better. Before you know it you will be playing better, scoring better and finishing better and without realising it you will be finishing games in less darts and as a result winning more. It is not all about throwing the lowest amount of darts you can, it is about about throwing one less than the person you are playing against,

just enjoy them for a while and stop thinking so much.

I'm having a bad dose of the nerves right now playing infront of loads of people, I know I'm good enough to beat most players in the league but can't control my nerves. That's great advice, cheers mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

Have a look at www.partsdarts.com - - - some good tips there from the master tactician !

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

yeah especially the one about darts corner who are a bunch of con men.

• Advertisement
Advertisement