Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Longest time you were ever off the beer?

Options
  • 20-10-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

....and what was your experience

Mine is three months and it was fine.

I'm just wondering. I'm normal, heavy-normal drinker. Tried going off it for a while a few times.... I don't think I minded it too much, but I always end up missing the craic.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭nialo

didnt start till i was 21.. then longest ive gave it up is about 3 months.. usually go on the dry for a month or two every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭SoWatchaWant

A month, but only because I just didn't get any time to go out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Was off it for two weeks while I was at a religious retreat in the mountains in India. Don't ask......

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,069 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I'll give it up after Halloween, and try stay off it till the week before christmas. Thankfully all the birthdays are out of the way, and sure nobody has money to head out on a session anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

A week, just to prove that I could.

It was worryingly hard :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭big dan

Just over a year. Saved a load and used it for the deposit for the house.
    I missed the craic so bad though.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

big dan wrote: »
    Just over a year. Saved a load and used it for the deposit for the house.
    I missed the so bad though.

Thats a sweet reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

For a month after it put me in hospital. Don't ask.....

Like to take a break for a few days every few weeks or so.

Don't mind being off the drink but it sure is great craic drinking with your mates or going out on the pull with a few inside of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Gonna give it up for the month of November, was a drunken bet at the time with my Dad, he always give up the drink for the month of November. So here I am now trying, i've never been off it for longer than a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

You should'nt be posting here if you're off the beer !!

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Five months..from jan to May last year..saved thousands of quid,got loads of work done on the house and then had a big blow-out bbq that went on for two days,thus ending the abstemious period.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Six minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭hoochio

Six weeks after a heavy xmas of 18 days in a row drinking. Was OK but it was nice to have a few little drinks after

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭zero_nine

Jaysus 18 days? you must have seen pink elephants and spiders after that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Kind of worrying that this is even a question.. :eek:

I don't even think about it that way. I never "need" a drink, and I don't miss it if I'm not drinking. If it's there I'll drink it, if it's not I won't. I don't count the days between drinks or how long I've been on it or off it.. what's the big deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

surprised some smart alec hasnt mentioned the first 15/16/17/18 years (or whatever age people started)

I never really recorded what length of time I have been off drink - I usually go for a couple of drinks every 4-6weeks - rarely go out these days....dont have the time and dont have the money.(and cant afford to get caught over the limit the following morning - so not worth the risk)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

im 22 and honestly (without trying to sound like a mongo) cannot remember a weekend i've been off the drink since i was about 15. I dont generally drink during the week, might have the odd 1 or 2 on a Thursday or if there is a really big match or special occasion.... hmmm perhaps i might have a go at this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭b12mearse

i went off it for 6 months. before that i was a regular drinker, 4 times a week.
    when i went back on it i couldnt stand the taste of spirits and now i drink very little beer.
    its definitely worth giving up for sometime, i felt terrific and had a more balanced mood and better libido ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Seven weeks in Jan this year.

Said I'd do 3 months, went out and everything on the dry. Tried to convince myself it was as much craic.

It wasn't.

Had a spectacular blowout whilst at a 30th, refusing drink all night for 3 hours, then the 11th hour hit and I decided I'd have a wee one.

I ended up in Coppers(Dublin)...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Naos wrote: »

I ended up in Coppers(Dublin)...

Holy smoke boy.

• Advertisement
Advertisement