Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why you love airsoft...

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭evilrobotshane

Firekitten wrote: »
    On a similar point, Why is it, that the UBACS tops are only ever worn by tubbysofters?
    Never the fit noes?

I sometimes wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Firekitten

NakedDex wrote: »
    Ripped abs tear the material.
    And the problem is?
    I sometimes wear one.

I've seen you in your.... Kneepads? I'll pass cheers.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

Genuine question ..is it not a bit embarrasing ..grown men running about with toy guns or am I missing something.
    Im not trying to sh1t stir but I do genuinely find it slightly amusing..

Is playing video games embarassing? grown men sat at home playing games?
    or going to the park playing football... its not a real football match is it? where are the spectators? aren't you just 'pretending' to be professional footballers? If you lose a match, you aren't going to be relegated are you? or go bankrupt if you dont get sponsors in or crowds?

Airsoft is a game. Its not real war, nobody pretends it is. Its people having good craic, playing a game they enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 703 ✭✭✭BELOWaverageIQ

I kinda take your point but video games are simply escapism.
    I can't take your comparison about football.
    Any game in the park is as real a game of football an one played in a stadium.
    Real ball, real boots real injuries.
    Air soft is surely guys playing "cowboys n injuns" in a modern way.. Still toy guns no ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭TNTQ

Air soft is surely guys playing "cowboys n injuns" in a modern way.. Still toy guns no ?

You havent lived until you've made a guy scream like a girl by stepping out of the shadows in your Ghillie (Sniper Suit) and whispering in his ear....... 'knife kill bitch'

Do you really want me to sink a real knife in his back so that I feel less embarrassed about myself? :pac:

Still toy guns...yes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Video games are escapism but, in many ways, so is airsoft. These days a multiplayer game will see many 18-40 males (just pulling a demographic, I know girls play too) sitting at home in front of a large TV getting heavily immersed in a virtual environment while shouting at very real people on the other side of the world through a microphone.
    Airsoft is essentially the same, with the differences being that there's no TV, any running they do is real, any shouting they do can be heard first hand, and any hits they take can be felt.

If you consider airsoft to be "cowboys and indians", then the more socially acceptable game of paintball must surely be in the same category, since the differences between a game of airsoft and a game of paintball are little more than a few rule changes and a rather larger, but slower, projectile.

Oh, and as for injuries, I've seen plenty in airsoft too. From bruises, cuts and scrapes to broken teeth, pulled ligaments and dislocated shoulders. It's not common (well, the bruises might be, depending on how you play), but it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

Airsoft is a hobby! just like a football fan would know EVERYTHING about the football league etc.
    Airsoft is a form of escapism aswell, if not the BIGGEST form of escapism. and also the healthier kind :)

But to be honest everyone has their own opinions about different sports like I have my opinions about soccer... :p
    And for the part about grown men screaming like little girls... soccer...
    xXx

Airsoft is also escapism... just more realistic.

What difference is there between football, for fun, and airsoft for fun? People win and lose... both are physical games... Airsoft needs physical fitness, skill, experience and tactics to win, just like football.

Injuries wise... seen broken legs, broken arms, dislocated joints, 2nd layer burns, puncture wounds and worse playing... atleast footballers get a flat field!

Maybe it is playing cowboys and injuns, but what's so wrong about that? The world takes a bit of everything...

plus atleast men and women can compete against eachother in airsoft ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭CaptainCook

Airsoft is a hobby! just like a football fan would know EVERYTHING about the football league etc.
    Airsoft is a form of escapism aswell, if not the BIGGEST form of escapism. and also the healthier kind :)

But to be honest everyone has their own opinions about different sports like I have my opinions about soccer... :p
    And for the part about grown men screaming like little girls... soccer...
    xXx

Totally agree, it is escapism, it is grown men running around with toy guns, but so what, its immense fun. I even have take great enjoyment just picking my aegs when i take a break from working on a commission or from studying. Its childish and completely un pc, but thats the fun, its also completely harmless. Come on people these are some dark times we live in, whats wrong with a bit of escapism.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Chefburns

@BELOWaverageIQ basically take call of duty and make it as real as you can without getting killed and you have airsoft....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Chefburns wrote: »
    @BELOWaverageIQ basically take call of duty and make it as real as you can without getting killed and you have airsoft....

Nah, take Battlefield for the example. Call of Duty's tactics start at "Okay, I've spawned, time to start running headfirst towards the other team". They end there too.

Battlefield games need tactics.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Is playing video games embarassing? grown men sat at home playing games?
    or going to the park playing football... its not a real football match is it? where are the spectators? aren't you just 'pretending' to be professional footballers? If you lose a match, you aren't going to be relegated are you? or go bankrupt if you dont get sponsors in or crowds?

Airsoft is a game. Its not real war, nobody pretends it is. Its people having good craic, playing a game they enjoy.

I know what off side means damn it! its when the little dears get tired.... and go off the side and someone comes back off the side.... who isn't tired?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I know what off side means damn it! its when the little dears get tired.... and go off the side and someone comes back off the side.... who isn't tired?

This is where a smiley is required to imply sarcasm, cause now that you did not take the opportunity to place a smiley, I'm now literally considering you a Damo Duff for the duration of your boards stay :D

I wasn't being sarcastic? Thats what it means right? :rolleyes:

I guess its digging my own grave if I ask what a Damo Duff is?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I wasn't being sarcastic? Thats what it means right? :rolleyes:

I guess its digging my own grave if I ask what a Damo Duff is?

Well I would say to ask Lemming bout offside but I'd hazard a guess he wouldn't know either :D

For the record, I do know what offside is ;)

Player is behind the last defender when he recives the ball...

I'm not entirely useless!

And no, Lemon wouldn't have a clue unless he could play it on the computer.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭MonkeyGuy

I love airsoft because you can end up making women and sports jokes.

That's directed at Firekitten, not Lemming. Just to clarify.

*frown*

You know I just finished fixing and tweaking my Minimi para right?:rolleyes::D:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Spooky-Vinny

wait wait wait... they're toys? ...so... wait what?
    xXx

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭D_murph

I know its been a while since anyone posted in this thread but it doesnt deserve to die either so I will resurrect it :D.

Things I love about airsoft.

1. The guns and how they look, operate and weigh like the real thing. My Hi-capa Dragon has the sweetest "clunk" when I release the slide after a mag change. My M4 is also the $hit lol.

2. The whole millitary feel of the game. We all probably played cowboys and indians when we were young but didnt have the numbers to make it a realistic game but now we have this with automatic guns and a holstered pistol to boot :D.

3. The feeling when a bunch of enemy troops walk right into your ambush point after you wait a while and you nail them all. Priceless :D.

4. The sometimes epic gunfights that can occur in the field. I had one a few weeks ago when I was down to my pistol (aeg battery died at a good time) and I held my position for quite a while until I got hit. Major adrenaline rush for that when it happened.

5. You are in a group of like minded people, not like you get in a workplace etc. Not including a pub for this one (as you will already know the people there for the most part if its your local etc) but I have seen over the years that fellow hobyists in any sport are the most friendly and helpful people that you will meet anywhere.

That is all for now but Im sure I missed something so feel free to fill in where I left off :).

P.S. airsoft rocks :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The sneaky kill, ie you are in a well hidden spot and you shoot someone and he hasn't a clue where the shot came from, and so he comes back looking for you and you get him again!

The adrenaline rush of knowing you're going to get hit any minute as you're the last man standing and the enemy is closing in.......so you go out with your pistol blazing to take a few with you!

Getting a "kill streak" of 5 or more players without getting hit yourself (ok so I play COD as well :-))

I forgot to mention this in my last post.

The briefing before the game is also something I love. You know once that is over, $hits going down lol.

Bringing a new guy (or 2) to a game and having them enjoy the crap out of themselves. I did this last weekend with 2 mates and we had a great night at it. Computer gamer types that play all the COD etc games will appreciate doing it for (kinda) real so if you know any, drag them out to your next game :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

D_murph wrote: »
    I forgot to mention this in my last post.

The briefing before the game is also something I love. You know once that is over, $hits going down lol.

Bringing a new guy (or 2) to a game and having them enjoy the crap out of themselves. I did this last weekend with 2 mates and we had a great night at it. Computer gamer types that play all the COD etc games will appreciate doing it for (kinda) real so if you know any, drag them out to your next game :).

I brought my kid brother (ok so he's 36!) out last week and he not only enjoyed every second of it but the lucky so and so actually won the last game of capture the flag! While everyone was engaged in a full frontal assault on the enemy, me and him snuck round the back and while I took the enemy out with shots from their rear, he ran in and captured the flag and we won in record time. Funny how some people only think in 2 dimensions and never even thought to keep at least one guy guarding the rear! It was toooooooooo easy:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

:D <
    My face when playing Airsoft, everytime!

After today, I have this to add.

I love how you can make a few adjustments to a gun, either pistol or AEG that transform it from an "adequate" tool to an absolute killing machine :D.

I bought a torch for the indoor CQBs a few weeks ago and it made a huge difference in the dark I was unable to tell where the bbs were going but now they almost look a bit like tracers with the light on their backs. That was back then though.

Today, I took out my new Elcan scope and it made it a lot easier to see the enemy targets approaching. However, my M4's range was not even as good as some of the beat up looking rentals that a few lads were shooting in practice before we started. I was a bit puzzled and Im new enough to this still :confused:.

I got talking to another lad when we were having a quiet time defending a flag and he showed me how to adjust the hop up on my gun cos I hadnt a clue :rolleyes:.

My God, what a difference :eek::eek:.

I am getting twice the range on it now that I was before and with the Elcan scope dialed in for the adjusted hop up, I can now just put the cross hairs on my targets, shoot and watch them raise their guns/hands in the air and walk away to respawn :D.

Even if its too dark in the woods to see the bbs travelling, I now know that I am going to nail my targets every time with this setup and it was the reason for me getting several kills in the second half of the skirmish today :).

I basically transformed my gun (with help of course) from something with crap range into a finely tuned instrument of destruction lol. You gotta love that about this game :cool:.

Not just that but in a lot of other hobbies I have had over the years, I always find that people you meet in any club etc, you will find someone helpful like that and this game is no different, Im pleased to report :).

Advertisement