Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Nowadays

Options
  • 16-10-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Am i the only one who is disgusted how hip hop is being perceived and thought of nowadays? Youngsters actually think and believe the likes of Flo Rida, Soulja Boy, Bow Wow, Young Berg and all these other "rappers" is hip hop!( I can name em all day) Call the Coroner! I mean, don't get me wrong I don't mind the odd bit of this so called hip hop on a Saturday night in the Vaultz but when a new generation are growing up thinking this is the ****, I had to vent my fury! What about Ill Bill, Immortal technique, The Wu, Joell Ortiz, Lloyd Banks, Vinny Paz and of course the platinum works of my man Biggie. You can add and subtract to that list its just off the top of the head. If you delve into Irish hip hop it's much better than that radio friendly garbage. Rob Kelly, Scary Eire, Dj Flip are guys with talent and only in certain circles are known. Dont get me started on Kanye he has morphed a new genre of muck that should be condemned to the basement and never let out, although his pre autotune production of tracks were ones I always looked out for. I think the old saying "Each to their own" comes into play here, but don't portray my beloved hip hop as the trash that is out there today!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

A lot of mainstream niggas is yapping about yapping/ A lot of underground niggas is rapping about rapping/ I just want to tell you what's really crackalacking

This right here is what's wrong with hip-hop - too many people caught up in image and actin', instead of just making music.

Personally, i could give a **** what's being played on radio, or what the "kids" are listening too. If i didn't care 10 years ago when they were playing westlife-esque boybands all day, why would i care now they are jumping on the hip-hop bandwagon. Popular music will always be an inferior, easily digestible, sugar laden product.

Too often, people gravitate to underground music just because it is underground , so they can put themselves up on a pedestal for having such superior taste to the masses. when those same underground acts they praised so much, they jump ship and accuse them of selling out.
    Then I said I'd do it for the props
    'Til I realized that the props always seem to stop
    when niggaz can't keep you all to theyself
    Take you home, put you in they little box

Too many people care more about how the music the listen to is perceived, rather than caring about the music itself. just enjoy it for what it is. putting underground or so-called "real" hip-hop on an artificial pedestal and refusing to accept anything which doesn't fit into this box is just as ignorant as viewing hip-hop as being only what is represented on the radio.

hip-hop comes in all shapes and forms, and covers all spectrums. people like to glorify the old school, but remember, hip-hop started out as party music, with symplistic rhymes, with an emphasis on the beats. dancing was as much a part of hip-hop as rhyming was - indeed, little emphasis wass put on lyrics back in the day, and it was all about breaking. the dances may have changed, and the beats differ, but how different are the current dance trends in hip-hop?

Basically, i personally don't care whether you sell platinum or sell wood, just as long as its good music. I also don't care whether or not people share my taste in music just as long as it gives me pleasure.

I'm not letting others dictate my taste in my music, so why should i care with they listen to. I don't listen to radio, or watch mtv, so if i don't want to, i never have to hear a soulja boy song (although i don't care what anybody says, crank that is a good song).

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Getting sick of these threads popping up once a week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I just find it funny that you slate other rappers and then follow up with Lloyd Banks, Ill Bill, Immortal Technique and Vinnie Paz as examples that are something so much better. Anyway floggg pretty much said everything that needed to be said with his post.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Makaveli wrote: »
    Anyway floggg pretty much said everything that needed to be said with his post.

yep, case closed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

some my favourite ew age hip hop artists are...

GUCCI MANE
    soulja boy
    jbar
    the cool kids
    kid cudi
    lil wayne
    sawty lo
    yung ralph

some you will like alot you will hae but i dont give a fcuk cos they all have big bass beats and i love that:D...im geting really into uk grime,drum n bas and most recently dubstep.

yes alot of people hate new rappers but its 2009 their is a new style out old skool is old skool and this is new skool....

gota love nas, nwa, wu tang clan, westside conection an all the other legends of hip hop though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Lord Jules wrote: »
    What about Ill Bill, Immortal technique, The Wu, Joell Ortiz, Lloyd Banks, Vinny Paz and of course the platinum works of my man Biggie.

I can only hope I never hear The Wu-Tang Clan mentioned in the same sentence as Lloyd Banks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

We have the same ****ing topics in this forum every ****ing week.

If you don't like pop hip hop, don't listen to it. It's not a new phenomenon. There has always been pop hip hop.

I'm much more annoyed by the stupid whining about bad hip hop on this forum than I am by hip hop these days.

Other topics I'm sick of: is hip hop dead? Anything to do with Biggie or 2Pac. Anything to do with Eminem. That's about it, but those topics make up the majority of the posts on this forum.

Mods should just lock these from now on and link to an old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Only thing more annoying than the recycling of threads is the bumping of prehistoric ones. The simple solution is to just not read the threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

We have the same ****ing topics in this forum every ****ing week.

If you don't like pop hip hop, don't listen to it. It's not a new phenomenon. There has always been pop hip hop.

I'm much more annoyed by the stupid whining about bad hip hop on this forum than I am by hip hop these days.

Other topics I'm sick of: is hip hop dead? Anything to do with Biggie or 2Pac. Anything to do with Eminem. That's about it, but those topics make up the majority of the posts on this forum.

Mods should just lock these from now on and link to an old one.

Preach!

In fairness to the people starting these kind of topics, their the only ones that get more than a couple of replys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Heard this in the GTA disc and think its awesome. Have heard some of Talib Kwelis stuff but haven't been keeping up to date with him. Must get my hands on the album soon :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement