Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice for a darts beginer

Options
  • 15-10-2009 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭

im watchin darts this 15 years but only recently got a darts board and have some questions as im strugglin

firstly what is the best darts to start with, iv tried heavy and light darts and cant really see a difference in my throwin,what should i stick with??

secondly i cant get my throwin style consistant, everytime i throw a dart i seam to realese at different times

i threw a 140 yesterday and thought id craiced it, next throw i got 28:(

any advice on best way to go about it would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

sc86 wrote: »

Be ready for 40 years of this.... Its darts, I've seen the best players in Ireland follow a 180 with a 26.

With regards to what the best dart its down to the person, keep experimenting and eventually you'll know when you've found the right set or at least a set that suits.

other than that spend some time on perfecting your natural throw. don't worry about accuracy so much as standing the same way, breathing the same way and throwing the exact same way every time.

If your first dart goes in the 1 don't adjust your throw or re-aim, throw again natuarally and try and put all your darts withing a half inch of each other (giving you a grand total of 3). Grouping your darts is the key to consistency, the correct line and length of throw comes with years of practice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

sc86 wrote: »
    im watchin darts this 15 years but only recently got a darts board and have some questions as im strugglin

firstly what is the best darts to start with, iv tried heavy and light darts and cant really see a difference in my throwin,what should i stick with??

secondly i cant get my throwin style consistant, everytime i throw a dart i seam to realese at different times

any advice on best way to go about it would be great

My advice would be practice, practice and you will see some results and know what weight of dart suits you but it wont happen over night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

cheers lads, i know practice will make all the difference but i dont know any1 that plays darts so was kinda wondering was there any simple tips that would help me that i might not have thought of

can you guys mayby give me the name of 2 different styles of darts that i can buy and try as im completly in the dark over this:(

thanks pandr81 and vanbis

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

My advice is to aim for big numbers and avoid getting bogged down by aiming for trebles. That will really improve your accuracy.

Also, alot of people aim for 19s instead of 20s when starting out as there can be a small bit of leeway down there if you miss your big number.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

I would'nt panic over not being able to put one big score after another, none of us can do that and if you've already scored a 180 then you know where the 60's are and are half ways there.
    If you set yourself realistic targets like playing an imaginary opponent that will finish in a certain amount of darts then try and finish less than that.
    Startin off try maybe 15 visits making it a 45 dart game and adjust upwards or downward according to how you feel you're doing.
    In time to come you can shave a dart off the averages here and there until you get down into the 30's and then the 20's. The teen's might take a while longer though. Don't rush it wil come !
    Also try throwing 21 darts at doubles. Try writing out the doubles 1-20 plus last dart at either the bull and 25...this will take 21 darts.
    If starting off DON'T try and stay on each double until you get it or it will drive you mad...just throw one single dart at each. Write out a graph 1-20 plus bull making 21 darts thrown across the top of page and then draw 10 lines down the page giving you 10 games. It will be amazing after a while to see how many of each you have hit. You may have hit 5 double 16's in the 10 games but no double 3 for instance, then go back over the sheet pick out the baddies and throw 21 darts at the doubles that have shown up. It works but most importantly isn't boring and some of us old codgers still do this to pick out the bad doubles. Doubles are the hardest thing to practise but you'll have to hit one in every game to win !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Best advice I ever go is to first of all learn to try the dart straight, that is just try and hit 60 everytime. Don't boher aiming for the treble 20, just hit the big 20. If you can hit 60 everytime you step to the board then you are more than halfway there. Once you can throw the dart straight the trebles will eventually come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 diversinc

firstly.. u have to really give different weights a chance.. week or two.. but ive heard alot of players say basically what u keep practicing with you ll adapt.. mostly use tungsten darts.. then when youve given some different weights a chance you ll notice you gotta push harder for that d20 or it drops too much for the t3.. or vice versa it goes too high for the d20.. but once youve found a weight that seems to work u gotta stick with it.. be patient and practice and dont lose the love of the game trying to get better.. we are all so guilty of this.. well most of us.. remember.. choden dart weight and type, grip , stance.. dont worry bout the triples jus get that dart out straight.. watch that release.. jus work on groupingyour darts.. and you automatically adjust for the trebles over time.. enjoy..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 DrDarts

If you want to be happy for the rest of your life never make a pretty woman your wife.........
    Where were you before my wedding day when I needed you ??

Advertisement