Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mcafee, cork

Options
  • 13-10-2009 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭

I am just wondering if anyone here works for mcafee i Cork. I have applied for a role with them but cant find anything about them and what they are like to work for. Its a sales role i have applied for. Anyone know what the hrs are like, is it shift work, benefits, salary etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

frAg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mkeane

my sister is working there for the last few years. She works all days.
    She says it's a great company to work for

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

cheers mkeane

If ya have a chance can you ask her about benefits, salary etc?

thanx in advance

frAg

anyone else??

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭wasper

frag420 wrote: »
    I am just wondering if anyone here works for mcafee i Cork. I have applied for a role with them but cant find anything about them and what they are like to work for. Its a sales role i have applied for. Anyone know what the hrs are like, is it shift work, benefits, salary etc??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

frAg
    This is from their website:
    http://www.mcafee.com/us/about/contact/ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Never heard a bad word said about them as an employer and believe their people management is pretty hot.

• Advertisement

hope i get the job now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 manish_kumar

Hi All,

I am about to negotiate my offer from McAfee, Cork, Ireland for the position of Senior Software Engineer (C++/ Windows with 9 years exprience, currently working with Symantec Corp, India office). I am currently located in India.

I have no idea of salary structure of companies in ireland and it will be really helpful if you all can give me pointers on what would make as a good offer: in terms of package, bonuses, employee benefits etc.

I tried looking for details over the internet, but seems to me Ireland is still recovering from the recession, which makes most of the salary figures available on the internet vague with so specifics. People tell you the best.

It will be very helpfull to me.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

I know some people that went there and they like it. As far as I know the salary is generally good too.

Hi Jane,

Thank you for your post. Can you quote any figures for what would be a good salary in Cork? Even a general approximation will be very helpful.

In addition to that any information about cost of living in cork will again be a great help. By cost of living I mean: income tax rates, cost of maintaining a car, telephone bill for a month, other taxes. I did some research on these items what I found is ( it will be nice if you can verify these figures):

Income tax : 20% for first 58K euro for married couple and 42% on income above 58K.
    Apartment rental: One should be able to find a decent accommodation near Mahon Avenue (around Douglous/ South Douglous Road) ( 1/2 bedroom + 1/2 Bath + 1 Kitchen) in 700 - 850 euro.
    Food bill for a month for 1 couple will be 600- 800 euro.
    Weekend outings / dining out 2-3 time per month : 300 euros
    A good used car: 2000 - 3000 euros
    Petrol : 2 euros/litre
    Any other taxes : No idea?
    Travel to London: Air fare (one way): 100 euro

I have no idea of the deposits which property owners might ask for at the time of renting and the brokerages if any? In india the norm is 4-5 months of rental as refundable security deposit before renting a place. Brokerage, if you are renting it though a broker, is generally 1-2 month's rent.

How is the law and order in Cork City and around? How safe is traveling at night time?
    What are the normal working hours in Ireland. In India it is like 8 hours/day 10:00 AM till 6:00 PM.
    Availability of decent medical facilities. My mother, she is 67 years of age and has artheritis and needs regular physiotheraphy sessions, will be staying with me so this aspect is important to me. Also is it possible to buy medicines without a prescription because she will be continuing her treatment prescribed by doctors in India and we will need to buy medicines regularly.

I am sorry if am asking too much but since I will be staying with my mother and wife I need to do more planning than I would have needed had I been moving alone.

An early response will be very helpful.

Thanks in advance
    Regards,

Hello, I imagine €50,000 to €60,000 would be the ballpark for a senior software engineer presuming you are qualified as well as experienced.

Petrol is €1.459/litre at the moment in Cork, it was slightly over €1.50/litre some weeks ago, €2/litre has not been seen in Ireland yet or anywhere near to it.

You'd get a great car for €2000/€3000 if you invest some time wisely and check out your purchase properly. Motor tax will range from €300 to €1600/annum too, a 2.0 litre car is €600/annum to tax.

You seem to have the rental and tax situation correct (ish anyway).

A months rent as seposit in the norm, 12 month leases are also preferred.

Medicine is by prescription only exept for over the counter remedies.

Cork is quite safe, murders, assaults etc are low for a City, you would be very very unlikely to encounter trouble.

Potentially useful tax calculator for you......
    http://www.hookhead.com/Tools/tax2011.jsp.

• Advertisement

Hi James,

Thank you for the posting. It really helped me.

I checked the link you had given for income tax calculations. I was just wondering if these tax rates are applicable to everyone or there are some different rules for people from other countries who are moving to Ireland.

Am just confirming that I calculated the taxs correctly: The taxes get as high as 30% on an average on a total renumeration package of 60K to 65K euro, right ? That would make it about 3500 euros as monthly take home.

Regards,
    Manish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

That sounds about right. You might try this calculator as it will let you take into account your mother that will be staying with you (dependent relative credit).
    http://www.thejournal.ie/budget-calculator-2011/#advanced-calculator

There is no different tax based on where you are from, just based on your income and who you are supporting.

Hi Jujibee,

Thank you for your post. It gave me a better figure :)

Hi frns,

Thank you for your earlier messages.

I finally got their offer and I think it is nice ( as I have ways to verify if it actually is ). It has put me in a sort of dilemma.

I have been offered to join as Sr. Software deelopment Engineer in their Partner's team. From what I've been told the team basically looks after customizing the McAfee product and service offerings as per the requirements of partner OEMs and ISPs. I am seeking an appoitment with my would be reporting manager to get more information about the day to day work and the team.

It will be really helpful if you can provide me some details about how the team is, the kind of work they do (I would love any details about it), work culture, timings, work load, kind of deadlines they have. It will also be very helpful if you can redirect me to talk to a person from that team. The team is located in Cork.

Also, if you can give me some info about the kind of benefits an employee gets while working with McAfee. I am asking this question becasue the offer discussion which happened was all about my base slaary + annual bonus. They said they will discuss my relocation + benefits later. But now when I recieved the offer document, I find it a little dressed down.

Just give you all a perspective, when I joined Symantec, I was given 1300 ESOPs + 150 RSUs + joining bonus and this is a norm and was not specific to me. In addition the food + pantry services are totally free for all. When an employee relocates to join Symantec, they pay for the first time rental brokerage (totally free) + refundable security deposit (which eventually gets deducted from you salalry over a period of time), provide 15 days free accomodation in company operated guest house. They provide for your travel expenses + expenses in moving your household items. In additional the other services include: annual health check up and dental check up fee reimbursements with a maximum limit + contribution in your expenses incurred as membership fee to a sports club/ gymnasium. They have an in-house Gym. Also they provide assistance in repayment towards your existing loans.

They allow WFH, flexi working schedule, 40 Hrs/week which are not clocked (they trust you that you will do yourshare of work).

And this is not just about Symantec, I believe it is a norm for McAfee, India as well.

From my offer document, apart from company sponsered Life Insurance + Disability Insurance + Private medical insurance + relocation allowance, rest everything is missing .

I am okay if it's a norm but I just don't want to be the only one missing out on these things.

I know it is like asking for too much, but if you can put your comments about the points I have mentioned above, it will immensly help me in getting a realistic view of the entire offer.( right now I am just relying on the public internet for all the information)

Thanking you in advance.

Regards,
    Manish

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

I've just seen this thread, I'm interested in applying for them as I am currently seeking job opportunities. It's English speaking sales roles that I would be looking for but everytime they have those advertised, there's always language requirements listed. Would it be a good idea to phone them to ask to send my CV in for whenever these opportunities arise as I am readily available?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

bpoleary wrote: »
    I've just seen this thread, I'm interested in applying for them as I am currently seeking job opportunities. It's English speaking sales roles that I would be looking for but everytime they have those advertised, there's always language requirements listed. Would it be a good idea to phone them to ask to send my CV in for whenever these opportunities arise as I am readily available?

I used to work there (not in sales) and AFAIK most the sales that goes on there require people have a language as they deal with customers all over the EMEA region. Maybe there are some English only positions too but a foreign language would be a big plus.

I guess it would do no harm giving them a call and putting in your CV (being proactive is always good) but your best bet is probably to keep an eye on positions as they are advertised. Have you looked at other companies? I’d say there are quite a few around Cork offering similar roles.

Also, it’s Intel Security now, not McAfee (just in case you weren't aware)

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bpoleary

Thanks for your reply. I did see alright that they are now Intel Security but I did hear that the McAfee part of it does have some English language sales roles. I've looked at other companies alright that offer similar roles, but I heard that this particular company a great to work for. Thanks for your advice, much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

They are a good place to work for alright. Good luck with the job hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

Heard from somebody working there that ~20 people are being made redundant as a followup to the merger with Intel, surprising it hasn't made any news stories yet.

Advertisement