Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Generation meant to be Dumbed down?

Options
  • 12-10-2009 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭

I have a question do you think that this generation was setup to be dumbed down?

The reason I asked that because people think a 3 min news clip is going to tell them about the whole situation.

Or when music use to actually carry a message but now it's just have sex, get drunk, and do it all again.

It's seems like our generation was meant to be dumbed down. No more protest or anything that's worth fighting for. We just allow things to run over us. It's almost as if were powerless.

So what do you think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Iamcharlie wrote: »
    I have a question do you think that this generation was setup to be dumbed down?

The reason I asked that because people think a 3 min news clip is going to tell them about the whole situation.

Or when music use to actually carry a message but now it's just have sex, get drunk, and do it all again.

It's seems like our generation was meant to be dumbed down. No more protest or anything that's worth fighting for. We just allow things to run over us. It's almost as if were powerless.

So what do you think?

If you're asking about Hip Hop being dumbed down, then yeah I'd have to agree with you that it has. It nearly brings me to tears of despair looking at what's classed as hip hop these days : T.I, Flo Rida, Kanye West etc - its all "look how much money I have, look how many clothes I have, look at all my cars". Every single verse T.I spits is the same, every Flo Rida song sounds like someone speaking in tounges, and Kanye West has turned in to what can only be described as a "man bitch". The Black Eyed Peas (one of the worst "hip hop" acts ever ever ever IMO) can write a ****ing song about how good a night it will be, and people lap it up like brainless tone deaf puppets.

Give me a 2Pac album any day over this decade of "**** hop".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I'd suggest that there's a huge part to be said about human nature there too. I mean how many times in school were you given great works of literature and yet would've rathered do something else.

Kids are lazy bastards when it comes to any rewarding exercise, and it's just as true in music. Good music rewards you, as do good books, good art etc. This is probably why there's such a concentration on things that prove their worth as 'classics'. They stay relevant. All these sh*t rappers and R'n'B twats won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

The majority of hip hop has always been dumb ****e. 80's was all "Hey let's party", 90's had a load of tedious "I'm going to shoot you mother****er" and the 00's have been "I've got more stuff than you do, hey, see all the stuff I've got".

I've got an appreciation of flow and rhyming technique but for me the most important thing is always entertaining or interesting lyrics. That's always in short supply. I'm finding as much of it in recent years as I did before.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

The majority of hip hop has always been dumb ****e. 80's was all "Hey let's party", 90's had a load of tedious "I'm going to shoot you mother****er" and the 00's have been "I've got more stuff than you do, hey, see all the stuff I've got".

I've got an appreciation of flow and rhyming technique but for me the most important thing is always entertaining or interesting lyrics. That's always in short supply. I'm finding as much of it in recent years as I did before.

thank you. i'm sicking of having to make this point.

Kids, for all you talk of generations being dumbed down or hip-hop being dead, look up mc hammer and vanilla ice. for some strange reason you seem to think mtv and pop radio is a recent phenomenon.

Also, nobody can dumb you down if you don't educate yourself. pick up a book. read the newspaper. if you are sick of hearing flo rida, then go to the hip hop 2009 thread, then download itunes and buy a couple of albums from somebody not on bubble hits for a change. heck, i'm sure your imaginative kids, you could probably figure a way around the payment part if you really had to
    (like taping it from a friend).

So what do you think?

Also, not getting personal, but you were the one who said "asher roth was running ****" and posted videos of soulja boy on the Hip-hop is dead thread.

Your either being a bit hypocritical or else you live under a bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Iamcharlie

floggg wrote: »
    Also, not getting personal, but you were the one who said "asher roth was running ****" and posted videos of soulja boy on the Hip-hop is dead thread.

I guess I looked into it a bit more and looked at it in another perspective.

I guess I looked into it a bit more and looked at it in another perspective.

Good. I appreciate critical thinking. For the record, i would never run down anybody's taste in music, including soulja boy, but i do think if you are going to adopt a position you should be able to stand over it and do so constructively. I don't care who or what you listen to, but i don't think you can profess an opinion on anything without taking the time to educate yourself on the alternatives beforehand. And you can't expect others to make a stand for you if you don't even know what it is you want to stand for.

Advertisement