Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very disapointed with the new city west venue.

Options
  • 12-10-2009 12:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭

Sorry for starting a new thread but couldnt see a similar thread.
    I was at the darts on saturday night and was sat in the balcony facing the centre of the stage.

A few things that I taught was ridiculous was the seating plan of rows of seats of about 50 seats (a guess) with no exits in the middle only at the end so people at the end was constantly up and down letting people in and out and the people coming in and out were feeling awkward when they should'nt of been.

Even looking down at the tables down stairs they seemed to be too long and people sitting in the middle seemed to have a problem coming back from the bar with drinks trying to get by the backs of chairs.

Another major problem was the big screens.neither the quality of the picture or the size of the the screen was adaqate for the seats we where in.
    half of the time none of us (4 of us in party) could keep track of the score near the end of legs due to the size of screen and quality of picture.

The booing was'nt bad on saturday at the centre not sure what it was like on tv but and thats another thing that I taught was a disgrace throughout the tournament.

Now I dont want to sound like a moan but when u pay €40 for a ticket u want to able to see at least a tv screen with comfort.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭In_tuition

stay at home in the comfort in future if you don't like what you get. atmosphere experienced this week was nothing short of drunken, disorderly and disrespectful behaviour. an insult to the players who travelled over, used up their travelling expenses to come to a venue where they were booed for trying to make a living for themselves in a game where they play professionally. who the heck gave anyone in the crowd the right to abuse and disrespect those players standing up there. i've been to the world championships year in year out now for quite a while, i watch every single darting event thats on tv and never have i witnessed the disrespectful nature of a crowd like i have this week. perhaps it was a minority, i don't know, it was bad at some points it's hard to think it was. ok there's been the odd name calling at some folk in the past which isn't pleasant, manley an example but overall the darts spectators are well behaved even with the beer how on earth it got out on control this week i will never know. i seriously hope the players boycott the event next year. I for 1 will be calling on them to do so, won't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

In_tuition wrote: »
    stay at home in the comfort in future if you don't like what you get. atmosphere experienced this week was nothing short of drunken, disorderly and disrespectful behaviour.

i was there 3 nights, and the astmophere was electric, i was a bit saddened by the booing of barney and beaton, but with an irish player playing on stage i can understand where it came from to a degree, that said i was there tonight at the final and overall a brilliantly behaved crowd, very little boo-ing very enjoyable, and any booing was encited by taylor trying to whip up the crowd
    an insult to the players who travelled over, used up their travelling expenses to come to a venue where they were booed for trying to make a living for themselves in a game where they play professionally.

ah god love them spending a few hundred quid and getting 3,500 sterling minimum for losing in the first round and 20 grand for beaten semi finalist, your right its awful money, they really shouldnt bother, cost of travel really outweighs the cost of playing
    who the heck gave anyone in the crowd the right to abuse and disrespect those players standing up there. i've been to the world championships year in year out now for quite a while, i watch every single darting event thats on tv and never have i witnessed the disrespectful nature of a crowd like i have this week.

Barry Hearne did when he organised events with crowds of 4-10,000 people watching most taking pitchers of 4 pints at a time and jamming the drink into them like their on holidays, phil taylor in most interviews says he has no problem with the crowds and atmosphere and bits of boo-ing, people pay their money to watch and can do what they like as long as they enjoy their night (words from taylors mouth, not mine) and stop trying to pin it on the irish, in the world grand prix thread i believe i prooved ireland isnt the first and wont be the last to boo, get over it
    perhaps it was a minority, i don't know, it was bad at some points it's hard to think it was. ok there's been the odd name calling at some folk in the past which isn't pleasant, manley an example but overall the darts spectators are well behaved even with the beer how on earth it got out on control this week i will never know. i seriously hope the players boycott the event next year. I for 1 will be calling on them to do so, won't you?

Boycott the event, are you serious, 3,500 for showing up and you expect a professional to boycott the event because of a bit of boo-ing that they probably cant hear much of because they are trying to concentrate so much on winning they block it all out.

Honestly this IS professional darts these days, people need to move with the times here, and definitely stop pinning this on the irish people as a whole, its nothing to do with the irish people, its the type of crowd the PDC now cultivates because its a drink swilling, shouting and chanting type event.

as someone said earlier, if micheal owen took a peno into the kop end for man united later this year, do you expect reverend silence for him, no, its professional sport, the big crowds pay the big money that makes these events so interesting and intrigue-ing

if there was a problem with the crowds, somebody, anybody in the professional game would have said something, maybe in an interview afterwards or for a magazine or something

they havnt, so i wonder if the crowd problem just something were inventing for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

i was there 3 nights, and the astmophere was electric, i was a bit saddened by the booing of barney and beaton, but with an irish player playing on stage i can understand where it came from to a degree, that said i was there tonight at the final and overall a brilliantly behaved crowd, very little boo-ing very enjoyable, and any booing was encited by taylor trying to whip up the crowd

ah god love them spending a few hundred quid and getting 3,500 sterling minimum for losing in the first round and 20 grand for beaten semi finalist, your right its awful money, they really shouldnt bother, cost of travel really outweighs the cost of playing

Barry Hearne did when he organised events with crowds of 4-10,000 people watching most taking pitchers of 4 pints at a time and jamming the drink into them like their on holidays, phil taylor in most interviews says he has no problem with the crowds and atmosphere and bits of boo-ing, people pay their money to watch and can do what they like as long as they enjoy their night (words from taylors mouth, not mine) and stop trying to pin it on the irish, in the world grand prix thread i believe i prooved ireland isnt the first and wont be the last to boo, get over it

Boycott the event, are you serious, 3,500 for showing up and you expect a professional to boycott the event because of a bit of boo-ing that they probably cant hear much of because they are trying to concentrate so much on winning they block it all out.

Honestly this IS professional darts these days, people need to move with the times here, and definitely stop pinning this on the irish people as a whole, its nothing to do with the irish people, its the type of crowd the PDC now cultivates because its a drink swilling, shouting and chanting type event.

as someone said earlier, if micheal owen took a peno into the kop end for man united later this year, do you expect reverend silence for him, no, its professional sport, the big crowds pay the big money that makes these events so interesting and intrigue-ing

if there was a problem with the crowds, somebody, anybody in the professional game would have said something, maybe in an interview afterwards or for a magazine or something

they havnt, so i wonder if the crowd problem just something were inventing for them!

Well said!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Juwwi

stay at home in the comfort in future if you don't like what you get.

What sort of stupid opinion is that.When a punter pays €40 for a ticket to a event if u cant see the event live from ur seat there should at least be adequate big screens to see the event.
    i seriously hope the players boycott the event next year. I for 1 will be calling on them to do so, won't you?

Yes I would of liking the players to at least give out more on the sky sports cameras about the booing as it was disgraceful.
    But when u have the sky comentators saying its all part and parcel of the game it does'nt help the situation.
    I wonder what they would say about it tho if the booing had of cost taylor his place in round 2 .

They wont boycott it next season because money talks and a €100,000
    winners cheque isnt to be sniffed at.

lol @ don't pin this on the irish :pac:

• Advertisement

lol @ don't pin this on the irish :pac:

if you think this is a purely irish thing your a disgrace and dont deserve to post on these very forums

It happens in england, it happens in scotland, it depends on who's playing and where they are playing and an englishman playing and irishman in IRELAND is going to have the crowd thoroughly behind the irishman

i dont know what you expected but you show me one sport with these same set of circumstances where the crowd wouldnt be behind the local player then i'll take it back

if you think this is a purely irish thing your a disgrace and dont deserve to post on these very forums

It happens in england, it happens in scotland, it depends on who's playing and where they are playing and an englishman playing and irishman in IRELAND is going to have the crowd thoroughly behind the irishman

i dont know what you expected but you show me one sport with these same set of circumstances where the crowd wouldnt be behind the local player then i'll take it back

oh i'm disgrace - :eek:.

it's an individual sport, you are going on like it's Real Betis v Sevilla.

in a tennis match when x from x country plays x from england, do you hear the crowd booing x from x just because he is playing a person from their nation, erm NO, you don't. When x from scotland is playing x from england in snooker do you hear the crowd slating him and being disrespectul to him, erm no you don't, golf week in week out another individual sport, do you see anyone booing when someone is taking a 5 foot birdie putt, erm NO you don't.

Now it seems to me that and I quote "it happens in england, scotland etc etc" so because of that in your opinion people here should continue the tradition which has been supposedly set? There was a large contingent of uk people in the audience all this week, I know they weren't booing or did they all join in together because as you say it's the in thing to do on the circuit.

You need to step back for a second and first off stop abusing people. Secondly you need to realise that darts is an inividual sport, just because 8,000 fans abuse the hell out of X at the corner flag on matchday doesnt mean it has to be tolerated in a game of darts.

Dam, your eyes are so firmly shut.

No one is talking about the crowd getting behind Jacko Barry in his matches. The booing started well before he played, continued before his games and afterwards, and also continued when he was out of the tournament so why are you coming out with this. probably because you now realise how closed your mind is to sport. youre a hooligan, nice one

we salute you

What sort of stupid opinion is that.When a punter pays €40 for a ticket to a event if u cant see the event live from ur seat there should at least be adequate big screens to see the event.

I wasn't trying to be smart. :confused:

I've just realised that you's are probably locked or worse and acting like hardjaws abusing people, just like the muppets in the crowd, surprise surprise there huh :pac:

get over yourself, you say its an individual sport but the booing has nothing to do with the individual, they represent their country

Thornton represents scotland and the english booed him, in the premier league the crowd boo-ed taylor in responce

it happened all over in this sport and it happens all over in mass crowd sports

in golf there is maybe a hundred or 2 around the crowd, hardly 4000-10000 people and 90% of the time there is very little chance of shouting during that because stewarts have SILENCE signs and stewarts remove unruly spectators, fortunately with crowds of 200-300 people its actually manageable

as for tennis, how could you boo during tennis, that sport moves so fast booing one member could affect your player, what would be the point.

Also, im not abusing anyone, im dissecting you post and replying in your disgust at your Labelling of the irish people absolutely unneccessarily

Tonight we had great behaviour, barely any booing and much more respect in the crowd

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭501darts

who the heck gave anyone in the crowd the right to abuse and disrespect those players standing up there. i've been to the world championships year in year out now for quite a while, i watch every single darting event thats on tv and never have i witnessed the disrespectful nature of a crowd like i have this week. Quote from In_tuition

I was at the citywest from Monday-Thursday and have to say the crowd were dull until the Taylor v Dolan match on which occasion 90% of a supposedly Irish crowd cheered..."Theres only one Phil Taylor".

While I agree that Taylor is a legend and no matter how much I hate the fecker I still have to respect him for what he has done for the world of darts, we must also respect the fact that when you have 90% of a crowd cheering for taylor the other 10% are going to do what it takes( like booing mid shot) to be heard.

This sort of athmosphere is slowly creeping into live darts and personnally I dont agrre with it, but as long as Taylor doesnt complain and Barry Hearne has bums on seats this sort of athmosphere will not change.

For someone who watches all matches on television you must have come accross it in the premier league this year...I can recall the game where Robert Thornton filled in for Mardle being stopped mid game because of the crowd chanting and also another premier league game where Robbie Savage was in the audiance met the same faith.

While im not proud of some of the things that went on this week we have to realise this is a PDC matter...if they allow it, it will continue, but as Dartgod (Michael O Sullivan) posted earlier this week..."The real Irish Darts Fan will be at Killarney this weekend"

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

its one thing being behind the local player but I've never seen this at any event ever. It was the loudest and worst I've ever seen, I knowing booing etc... goes on to an extent but like I said in the other thread if you think Scotland or England are nearly as bad as the behaviour of that crowd you are wrong mate, very, very wrong. i've seen Taylors treatment in Scotland and its not 1/1000th of what went on there mate. Even Thornton's treatment in England wasn't nearly as bad.

I presume you were there everynight and maybe it didn't come across as bad in the venue as on t.v., I dunno. Seriously though if you were at the venue Id advise you to go back and watch highlights of the games too see what people on t.v. saw.

Please stop blaming this on drink whether its pitchers or pints. I can go out for a night, get absolutely blind drunk to the point of where I can't stand up yet not make noise while a man is throwing. I've being incredibly drunk both watching and playing in darts competitions and still being able to behave myself as are 90% of those who were in Dublin.

This doesn't go on at the ally pally or any other major except the PL which wasn't nearly as bad. Quite simply the world grand prix had a much higher wanker:decent person ratio than any other competition that I've ever watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭mirwillbeback

stay at home in the comfort in future if you don't like what you get. atmosphere experienced this week was nothing short of drunken, disorderly and disrespectful behaviour.

but enough about Kenny Egan........

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

Great post.

Irish people just love to complain. I've been to quite a few events in the UK over the years and the crowds can be just as drunken and loud as Citywest. I'd still take the PDC events over the BDO dross with no atmosphere. At the end of the day, the crowds pay their wages. They earn huge money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Lads a few dodgy posts in this thread, lets try and kep it civil.

And this thread is supposed to be about the venue and not the crowd and I have to agree that I thought it was poor. The organisation for the bar was terrible, seats were double booked and the TV's weren't big enough. I'm gonna put it down to first year in new venue and hope they sort it for next year but I didn't enjoy myself nearly enough as I did in previous years.

As for the booing I agree with Dion that it happens everywhere but I also agree with Padr in that it has never been as bad as it was in the City West this week. I don't understand what has changed in the course of one year, there were a few boo's last year which is to be expected but it hit a new level this year. I don't think there was a night without booing. Not only that, there was constant whistling fro the crowd when players went to take their shots and this would be much more off-putting.

Yes it happens at every event BUT last week was the worst I have ever heard and it's an embarrasement to be honest. The PDC need to sit down and have a think about how to stamp this out, throw the ****ers out when they do it should be step one.

The reason it was so bad is because the PDC do not discourage it. The refs don't even call for order anymore. The crowds are too big to control it.

Also, im not abusing anyone, im dissecting you post and replying in your disgust at your Labelling of the irish people absolutely unneccessarily

Where exactly in my post did I once mention Irish people?
    stay at home in the comfort in future if you don't like what you get. atmosphere experienced this week was nothing short of drunken, disorderly and disrespectful behaviour. an insult to the players who travelled over, used up their travelling expenses to come to a venue where they were booed for trying to make a living for themselves in a game where they play professionally. who the heck gave anyone in the crowd the right to abuse and disrespect those players standing up there. i've been to the world championships year in year out now for quite a while, i watch every single darting event thats on tv and never have i witnessed the disrespectful nature of a crowd like i have this week. perhaps it was a minority, i don't know, it was bad at some points it's hard to think it was. ok there's been the odd name calling at some folk in the past which isn't pleasant, manley an example but overall the darts spectators are well behaved even with the beer how on earth it got out on control this week i will never know. i seriously hope the players boycott the event next year. I for 1 will be calling on them to do so, won't you?

What planet are you on?

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭wayne76

look at the end of the day the pdc and mansfield group that owns the place are willing to accept what come's part and parcel of thousands of people going to a venue to watch darts, it might not be to everyones liking which i for 1 was disgusted and spent 2 night's in the player's room which was dul:ol but is'nt it better than not having dart's over here the player's love it the pdc love it so if we go put up with it if we dont we dont have to simple as that:P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

The reason it was so bad is because the PDC do not discourage it. The refs don't even call for order anymore. The crowds are too big to control it.

Do people actually listen to the refs when they call for order???:confused:

• Advertisement

Degag wrote: »
    Do people actually listen to the refs when they call for order???:confused:

After 15 pints of lager, probably not. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 bund

robbie1977 wrote: »
    Sorry for starting a new thread but couldnt see a similar thread.
    I was at the darts on saturday night and was sat in the balcony facing the centre of the stage.

A few things that I taught was ridiculous was the seating plan of rows of seats of about 50 seats (a guess) with no exits in the middle only at the end so people at the end was constantly up and down letting people in and out and the people coming in and out were feeling awkward when they should'nt of been.

Even looking down at the tables down stairs they seemed to be too long and people sitting in the middle seemed to have a problem coming back from the bar with drinks trying to get by the backs of chairs.

Another major problem was the big screens.neither the quality of the picture or the size of the the screen was adaqate for the seats we where in.
    half of the time none of us (4 of us in party) could keep track of the score near the end of legs due to the size of screen and quality of picture.

The booing was'nt bad on saturday at the centre not sure what it was like on tv but and thats another thing that I taught was a disgrace throughout the tournament.

Now I dont want to sound like a moan but when u pay €40 for a ticket u want to able to see at least a tv screen with comfort.

Yeah i was in the same possition on sat night Some friends of mine were at the tables and got totally Fxxxxd up letting people in and out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 554 ✭✭✭spongeman

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Lads a few dodgy posts in this thread, lets try and kep it civil.

And this thread is supposed to be about the venue and not the crowd and I have to agree that I thought it was poor. The organisation for the bar was terrible, seats were double booked and the TV's weren't big enough. I'm gonna put it down to first year in new venue and hope they sort it for next year but I didn't enjoy myself nearly enough as I did in previous years.

As for the booing I agree with Dion that it happens everywhere but I also agree with Padr in that it has never been as bad as it was in the City West this week. I don't understand what has changed in the course of one year, there were a few boo's last year which is to be expected but it hit a new level this year. I don't think there was a night without booing. Not only that, there was constant whistling fro the crowd when players went to take their shots and this would be much more off-putting.

Yes it happens at every event BUT last week was the worst I have ever heard and it's an embarrasement to be honest. The PDC need to sit down and have a think about how to stamp this out, throw the ****ers out when they do it should be step one.

I agree with all the above, the players need concentration and to be shown some respect. The booing was totally unacceptable and out of hand, and what was worse is it was happening as players were about to take their turn. I have watched many tournaments and have never seen anything as bad, it was like the wild west.

Advertisement