Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

I am new to this site and I thought I would introduce myself , I am a classical music lover , but particularly an opera lover. I have been reading the previous posts just to get a feel for things . It is all doom and gloom ! Cheer up , at let we can put a great cd on and tune out the cares of the world.
    In response to previous posts here is a couple of points (opinions)

- we can afford a full time opera compny.
    - we dont have one because dont want one
    - we dont want one because we are not cultured enough to appreciate
    the lack of one.
    - I never noticed formal attire at OI productions.Wexford yes Dublin no.
    - I have no problem with Wexford and Glyndebourne being formal and
    I dont think people are intimadated any longer by such things. Most
    just get into the swing of things and enjoy the day out

Finally a few words of advice as we stand here ''sola,perduta, abbandonatta in landa desolata... let us take the Rheingold and avoid our very own Gotterdamerung and thereafter ''Nessun dorma'' until we have voted out the Forza del Destino and in the last analysis always remember

Tutto nel mondo e burla.
    L'uoum e nato burlone.
    Nel suo cervello
    Ciurla sempre la sua ragione.
    Tutti gabbati ! Irride
    L'un L'altro ogno mortal.
    ma ride ben chi ride
    La risata final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

Welcome marienbad.

We will continue to put on a great cd. The doom and gloom is for live opera performance in Ireland - there is a 'being there' magic than cannot be matched by cd or DVD. And despite the current woes, Ireland is still a far more affluent country than years ago - yet our ability to sustain live opera seems to be going backwards.

L'opera in Irlanda e burla.
    L'Irlandese e nato burlone.
    Nel suo cervello
    Gabbati dai politici ! Irride
    L'un L'altro ogni mortal.
    I politici e banchieri
    hanno la risata finale.

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Welcome marienbad.

We will continue to put on a great cd. The doom and gloom is for live opera performance in Ireland - there is a 'being there' magic than cannot be matched by cd or DVD. And despite the current woes, Ireland is still a far more affluent country than years ago - yet our ability to sustain live opera seems to be going backwards.

L'opera in Irlanda e burla.
    L'Irlandese e nato burlone.
    Nel suo cervello
    Gabbati dai politici ! Irride
    L'un L'altro ogni mortal.
    I politici e banchieri
    hanno la risata finale.

There simply is not enough interest in Ireland in having a full time opera company. It is not that we cannot afford it , it is that we are not cultured enough (in enough numbers) to be prepared to pay for it at any price.

I would surmise that except for a very dedicated and small group it is simply a cross between somewhere to be seen and a just a different kind of night out.

Anectdotal evidence would seem to indicate that classical music just dos'st rate this country and until we face that fact we will never put proper solution in place to correct that .

Some examples,

-Closure of classical music in HMV shops
    - bowdlerization of Lyric fm
    -poor attendance at the Met Broadcasts
    -Mega sales of pseudo classical cds versus classical cds

and I could give a lot more

We are a bit like Kevin Costner in that film about baseball where the tagline was '' build it and they will come'' in that we have built these performance centres all over the country coutrtesy of the Celtic Tiger, but I am afraid no one has come and and that wont change.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

Marienbad hi and welcome to this forum of about --- a handful who regularly write here - says it all really about 3 or 4 opera nutters writing here.

You are right of course - which is why most of us take cheap Ryanair flights for whats left of publically subsidised opera at a reasonable price in the UK and rest of Europe.

Martin Cullen lost the operatic plot in his idea for a National Opera Company - he probably wanted to be remembered for something more than E-Voting machines; he won't be cutting the ribbon on any new national opera company that is for sure!

Sand has said it though, going to live opera beats a CD, or a cinematic broadcast (although these are to be welcomed), Its a pity OI was such a disaster, Tosca was a sad end for them - wholly forgettable.

The news in the past week really has focussed minds on other things, I think that our National Opera Company is going to be someway down the pecking order of priorities - I hope OTC get on with something good in the next year they will be on a singout for their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

marienbad wrote: »

-Closure of classical music in HMV shops

I didn't even know that, but then it's been years since I last bought a CD in a shop. That's what the internet is for - lower prices and better service, and anyway the classical "departments" in the record shops in Dublin were useless.

• Advertisement

I didn't even know that, but then it's been years since I last bought a CD in a shop. That's what the internet is for - lower prices and better service, and anyway the classical "departments" in the record shops in Dublin were useless.

I agree with you there, much better value on the internet, but it was handy to browse through while waiting on the opera or the NCH, the one around the corner- (Tower , is it ?) is still going as far as I know ).

As for travelling abroad , I have started going to Birmingham to catch the WNO, just back after a brilliant few days in which I saw Ariadne- Fidelio-Magic Flute. Outstanding -cheap flights , reasonable hotels and anything but cheap opera.

I went there in the Summer to Die Meistersinger with Terfel and Rigoletto with Keenlyside . The Meistersinger performance is one of the highlights on my operatic going life.

If Wales can do it , so can we , but the reality is we wont because we can't be bothered. That dawned on me a long time ago so now I dont even think too much about it.

The NCH (what a name) tells everything , we nearly spent a billion on the Bertie Bowl, 50 million on Croake Park untold millions on stadia round the country and we could'nt/would'nt build a proper concert hall not to mind an opera house.

Wales on the other hand in the same period build The Millenium Stadium (365 Million) and an opera house plus many more and they did'nt have the benefit of a ''tiger economy''. But then they care about singing as part of their heritage instead of us with our ''sur ar'nt we grand '' attitude to culture

I agree with you there, much better value on the internet, but it was handy to browse through while waiting on the opera or the NCH, the one around the corner- (Tower , is it ?) is still going as far as I know ).

As for travelling abroad , I have started going to Birmingham to catch the WNO, just back after a brilliant few days in which I saw Ariadne- Fidelio-Magic Flute. Outstanding -cheap flights , reasonable hotels and anything but cheap opera.

I went there in the Summer to Die Meistersinger with Terfel and Rigoletto with Keenlyside . The Meistersinger performance is one of the highlights on my operatic going life.

If Wales can do it , so can we , but the reality is we wont because we can't be bothered. That dawned on me a long time ago so now I dont even think too much about it.

The NCH (what a name) tells everything , we nearly spent a billion on the Bertie Bowl, 50 million on Croake Park untold millions on stadia round the country and we could'nt/would'nt build a proper concert hall not to mind an opera house.

Wales on the other hand in the same period build The Millenium Stadium (365 Million) and an opera house plus many more and they did'nt have the benefit of a ''tiger economy''. But then they care about singing as part of their heritage instead of us with our ''sur ar'nt we grand '' attitude to culture

Marien forget about the comparisons with Wales - have a read of this post I wrote a few weeks ago - its some ideas we could implement to fill the opera defecit in this country http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68412401&postcount=191

westtip wrote: »
    Marien forget about the comparisons with Wales - have a read of this post I wrote a few weeks ago - its some ideas we could implement to fill the opera defecit in this country http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=68412401&postcount=191

Hi Westtip, I had read this post before I started posting and I thought it was brilliant , I am a great believer in OTC and what you suggest could have happened ,should have happened, but never will happen and not just now with the current state of finances , but would not have happened even if we never went bust.

Why is that ? because too many ''rice bowls'' need to be broken among the arty farty arts council /rte/county council arts officers brigade before any real change or national venture can succeed.

as well as being an art form opera must also be , of necessity , a business. I remember watching a very telling interview with Joe Volpe saying how much easier it was to get people involved in supporting an opera but the real challenge was getting a new telephone exchange for the New York Met.

We don't do business, virtually every professional leaves the arts council sooner or later in frustration worn down by the ''lovie dovies'' and their pet projects, so we end up with ''The Rain Dancers Of Peru'', ''An Exhibition Of Wet weather Origami'', or ''Throat singing from Afganistan'' and of the 23 people attending 19 are from the Arts Council ( who get to cry into their hankies at the pathos of it all and get to mingle with the ''artistes'' after the show) and the other 4 a just a few lost souls trying to escape the torrential rain and assumed the banshee singing must be coming from a pub.

So all the dosh is frittered away on a multiplicity of meaningless and not very memorable events in which some totally unqualified nabob from some government body feels like an impresario for a day and submits a list of expenses accordingly. And so the arts budget is frittered away - death by a thousand cuts.

In a way I think this current crisis may well have a silver lining in that all that waste will be swept away and in the aftermath maybe 5/10 years down the line we start from scratch and concentrate on the end product and not sinecures for the boys .

Until then thank god for Ryan Air and WNO

Ok never mind the politics the depression the IMF the state of the nation, I was just looking at our defacto Irish National Opera Company website (OTC) aned see they have details up about Don Pasquale:

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm

Lets all get out there and support our National Opera Company!

Ok never mind the politics the depression the IMF the state of the nation, I was just looking at our defacto Irish National Opera Company website (OTC) aned see they have details up about Don Pasquale:

http://www.opera.ie/Productions/currentproductions.htm

Lets all get out there and support our National Opera Company!

Agreed and it is good to see Limerick back on the venue list after many years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Not aiming to defend Opera Ireland here, and they have certainly been 3rd rate over the years, but maybe a slightly against the grain question for you followers of Irish Opera (such as it is):

Are you being too critical of performance and production standards? And indeed are opera audiences and media critics in general. Reading reviews and very occasionally attending performance around Europe it is rare to read an endorsing review. It strikes me that you are almost letting the side down if you conced that a production was good quality and to be enjoyed. Finding the flaws seems to be the badge of honour and mark of the serious opera connaisseur.

Do we expect too much? Are our standards unreasinably high due to a heavy diet of all-time great recordings dominating our CD collections? Typicaly played on good quality hi-fi are we too often feeling let down by live performances which fail to match 'definitive productions' which we know intimitely? Even when performed in the best operahouses in Europe by fine orchestras and by the best voices around.

Let alone when we move down a few leagues to local performances in Ireland with only a fraction of the monetary resources and without any of the renowned names it really becomes too easy to cite them as worthless.

I dont doubt some of your criticisms are objectively valid, but would you not do better to simply support local production and enjoy them for what they are without over high expectations? Constant knocking doesnt exactly contribute to the promotiion and developpement of opera in Ireland either.

Given the criticism I feel I might attract, I'd just like to point out, I have no interest or relation to any of the Irish opera companies.

Almaviva wrote: »

Are you being too critical of performance and production standards? And indeed are opera audiences and media critics in general. ... It strikes me that you are almost letting the side down if you conced that a production was good quality and to be enjoyed. Finding the flaws seems to be the badge of honour and mark of the serious opera connaisseur.

Do we expect too much? .

Well, I don't know if I'm letting the side down, but I went to two productions this year in Wexford and I thought they were both fantastic and loved every minute.

Are we expecting too much from OI?? When I go to the opera, I don't expect to hear Maria Callas or Domingo every time, but if it's too much to expect that the singers can actually sing, that the director can actually direct, that the designer can actually design, and that the conductor can actually conduct, then yes, maybe I'm expecting too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Are we expecting too much from OI?? When I go to the opera, I don't expect to hear Maria Callas or Domingo every time, but if it's too much to expect that the singers can actually sing, that the director can actually direct, that the designer can actually design, and that the conductor can actually conduct, then yes, maybe I'm expecting too much.

Do I interpret from the above that you dont think you get singers who can sing, directors who can direct, etc from OI ?

Yet my point is that I think you do get that. Not to a high standard. But you get it. Are you not tending to throw out the baby with the bathwater ?

Let me put it this way - I've only ever seen two OI productions (Carmen and La Traviata) and they were both rubbish, a complete waste of money.
    I've seen far too much sub-standard opera in my lifetime to be bothered with OI. I'd much rather either not go to opera at all or make the most of cheap flights and go abroad (which is not practical at the moment as I have small kids). If OI was worth it, I would definitely go and support them. I have lived here for 10 years and have been to the Wexford festival every year. Obviously there are ups and downs and nothing comes with a guarantee, but at least they are worth gambling on.

Almaviva wrote: »
    Do I interpret from the above that you dont think you get singers who can sing, directors who can direct, etc from OI ?

Yet my point is that I think you do get that. Not to a high standard. But you get it. Are you not tending to throw out the baby with the bathwater ?

Hi Almaviva. If I came across as being critical of performances by any of the irish opera companies in my posts that was not at all my intention. I was just adressing myself to the issue of why in the 21st century we still dont have a full time company such as WNO or ENO.

I dont accept that the standard of performance here is inferior to the any but the very best. Wexford this year was just outstanding and brings them back to their very very best . I have yet to see a bad performance from OTC which just leaves Opera Ireland, I have seen some truly outstanding performances there, the best Boris Godunov I ever saw was the OI in 1999, Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk in 2000 and Jenufa in 2004 were right up there also. And as for the performers -there is a steady stream of irish singers Gerard OConnor Cara O'Sullivan Orla Boylan etc appearing with OI and they are just as good there as they are when in Holland Park ,ENO, or Glyndebourne productions.

I have seen some of the worst ''clangers'' ever at English National Opera ,(The Trojans for Berlioz' Centenary was truly awful ) and I would suggest they have a far worst hit/miss ratio than OI.

As for Tosca , Traviata etc , I missed this years performance , but if it was the same production as a few years ago then I have no problem with it, I assume O'sullivan and Boylan maintained their usual high standard. I sometimes think that it is impossible to impress with the old ''war horses''
    like Tosca Traviata Carmen we have seen and heard them so much. It takes a production like Jonathan Miller's 1950 Mafia Rigoletto to burst through the layers of apathy and even that was considered outmoded very quickly.

No ,no I am all for the performers, players,directors etc - it is the back room brigade in the ''smoke filled rooms'' that annoy me- a bit like the country in general ,now that I think of it.

+1 Marien totally agree with your post - I have been critical of one person at OI, Dieter kaegi - a Director whose work I now feel prejudiced against before I even step inside the opera house. He was a disaster for OI. Like all regional opera companies (and that is all OI ever was), they had hits and misses (as have BTW OTC). You cannot expect to hear the great voices at regional opera companies but in general you can expect to hear competence. Some of the stuff OI did in the last ten years was good but a lot was very poor (I benchmark OI agains Scottish Opera and Opera North)- and Jonny we must be in parallel universes - I too have been here ten years and have small kids and it is more difficult to get to the opera, I will go to the opera if its on and available and I can get to it. I saw about 80% of OI's output in the last few years, I can't sit idly by if opera is on in town - I feel drawn to the theatre to see it.... anyway nothing gave me the wow feeling. I see WNO 2 or 3 times a year. TBH last time I went to WNO the Meistersinger was 9/10 (my benchmark for the perfect Meistersinger 10/10 was the ROH in 1997 with Haitink conducting on the last night before the theatre closed for renovations - quite stunning), but Rigoletto was only so so. Have said it before a good quality regional opera company doing the standard repertoire could be achieved in Ireland - but not for 2.45 million (see all previous posts on this), and if we can't afford it ourselves (which is quite different from can't do it ourselves) we should outsource iit.

BTW agree with everyone about Wexford this year - great job done.

Agree also. It did everything we expect and hope for, with the caveat that the music is not necessarily the AAA of the all time masterpieces generally performed. But that is the Wexford bargain we accept: you-probably-havent-heard-it-and-maybe-not-so-great, rather than, great-alright-but youve-heard-it umpteen-times-before.

Good to see OTC Don Pasquale plans firming up. Have a soft spot for it probably even out of proportion to its real worth, so looking forward to it and hoping it will be good.

+1 Marien totally agree with your post - I have been critical of one person at OI, Dieter kaegi - a Director whose work I now feel prejudiced against before I even step inside the opera house. He was a disaster for OI. Like all regional opera companies (and that is all OI ever was), they had hits and misses (as have BTW OTC). You cannot expect to hear the great voices at regional opera companies but in general you can expect to hear competence. Some of the stuff OI did in the last ten years was good but a lot was very poor (I benchmark OI agains Scottish Opera and Opera North)- and Jonny we must be in parallel universes - I too have been here ten years and have small kids and it is more difficult to get to the opera, I will go to the opera if its on and available and I can get to it. I saw about 80% of OI's output in the last few years, I can't sit idly by if opera is on in town - I feel drawn to the theatre to see it.... anyway nothing gave me the wow feeling. I see WNO 2 or 3 times a year. TBH last time I went to WNO the Meistersinger was 9/10 (my benchmark for the perfect Meistersinger 10/10 was the ROH in 1997 with Haitink conducting on the last night before the theatre closed for renovations - quite stunning), but Rigoletto was only so so. Have said it before a good quality regional opera company doing the standard repertoire could be achieved in Ireland - but not for 2.45 million (see all previous posts on this), and if we can't afford it ourselves (which is quite different from can't do it ourselves) we should outsource iit.

I saw the WNO rigoletto also and I love Simon Keenlyside , But even though I try to pretend otherwise I must agree with you, it was a disappointing production and Keenlyside was just wrong in it.

Dieter Kaegi seems to raise the hackles on here ! I think he had done some great work here, The Godunov and Lady Macbeth I referred to in an earlier post were his productions and were outstanding.

I saw the WNO rigoletto also and I love Simon Keenlyside , But even though I try to pretend otherwise I must agree with you, it was a disappointing production and Keenlyside was just wrong in it.

Dieter Kaegi seems to raise the hackles on here ! I think he had done some great work here, The Godunov and Lady Macbeth I referred to in an earlier post were his productions and were outstanding.

I think Dieter only really raises the hackles fo rme - I never forgave him for the complete dectruction of Don Carlos. I agree with you about Keenlyside - the WNO rigoletto just didn't work for me as a production.

I see that Scottish Opera are bringing Rigoletto to the Grand Canal Theatre in June.
    Have a look at the GCT facebook page for details.
    The tickets are going on sale tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I see that Scottish Opera are bringing Rigoletto to the Grand Canal Theatre in June.

I must check ticket prices tomorrow, although do I want another Rigoletto ?, as I have just beeen to the WNO production and about 3 others in the last year or so.

I will probably go just to show support for opera in Ireland. I have never been to this theatre, so what is it like for opera ?

Just checked it out - prices still a bit stiff for me for Scottish Opera - good company yes but 35 euro in the gods??? adn top price 125. they are not taking it to Belfast so its Dublin only - so may have to bit the bullet grit my teeth and pay these prices.

Interesting they are coming again though - it starts to fulfill my outsourcing prophecy for mainstream opera in ireland! Except I don't think (in fact I know) SO won't receive any subvention for coming to Dublin!

Government will get off the hook on this one.

Thanks Marienbad. Bella figlia dell'amore is worth walking across ground glass barefoot for. 5 Nights though in a big theatre, i hope SO havent misjudged. Planning to catch their Orlando in Scotland in Feb.

So Spring Season in Ireland currently looks like :

Don Pasquale : OTC : Touring : Feb
    The Merry Widow : NCH : 19,20,22 Feb
    La Boheme : NCH : 25 Mar
    Fantastic Mr Fox : ETO : BGOH : 25 May
    Il Tabarro & Gianni Schicchi : ETO : BGOH : 26,27 May
    La Clemenza di Tito : ETO : BGOH : 28 May
    Rigoletto : SO : GCT : 21-25 June.

Anyone, please copy and paste in a new post to add (I hope) to the list. Hopefully OTC will manage to add something else for the later spring.

Thanks Marienbad. Bella figlia dell'amore is worth walking across ground glass barefoot for. 5 Nights though in a big theatre, i hope SO havent misjudged. Planning to catch their Orlando in Scotland in Feb.

Anyone, please copy and paste in a new post to add (I hope) to the list. Hopefully OTC will manage to add something else for the later spring.

Plus the cinematic offerings of live broadcasts - not like a real night at the opera but a growing genre that adds to the mix of whats available. Think I will nip across to Glasgow for SO a couple of times in 2011 so may catch their Rigoletto there. I like the Theatre Royal in Glasgow anyway and can hook up with friends in the city.

and Flavio & The Fairy Queen in BGOH Autumn 2011 hopefully

Don Carlos tomorrow , cant wait, as the kids say -just one ''sleeps'' to go:)

Just checked it out - prices still a bit stiff for me for Scottish Opera - good company yes but 35 euro in the gods??? adn top price 125. they are not taking it to Belfast so its Dublin only - so may have to bit the bullet grit my teeth and pay these prices.

Interesting they are coming again though - it starts to fulfill my outsourcing prophecy for mainstream opera in ireland! Except I don't think (in fact I know) SO won't receive any subvention for coming to Dublin!

Government will get off the hook on this one.

Well, I will definitely be going. I know it's expensive and as I go to opera so rarely I think it's worth the investment. Added to that Rigoletto is one of my favourites. I've only seen it twice so far, once in Verona and once at the ENO (the famous Jonathan Miller production).

Even if it's expensive, I think it's important to support opera at the GCT. If they don't get enough bums on seats there'll never be another opera there, and it's the only theatre we have which is suitable for the mainstream stuff.

5 Nights though in a big theatre, i hope SO havent misjudged. Planning to catch their Orlando in Scotland in Feb.

As far as I know they are doing 3 nights of Rigoletto. They filled up the GCT 3 times with La Boheme, so hopefully they'll do the same thing this time.

Well, I will definitely be going. I know it's expensive and as I go to opera so rarely I think it's worth the investment. Added to that Rigoletto is one of my favourites. I've only seen it twice so far, once in Verona and once at the ENO (the famous Jonathan Miller production).

Even if it's expensive, I think it's important to support opera at the GCT. If they don't get enough bums on seats there'll never be another opera there, and it's the only theatre we have which is suitable for the mainstream stuff.

Will go along with that Jonny and intend booking soon to get a decent ticket in the right price categroy - SO are only coming to Dublin so the cheaper Belfast option is not there. What night are you thinking of going?

Marien, how was Don Carlos, I didn't get to drive to either Sligo or Castlebar for it as the roads a bit dodgy in northwest and frost forecast for later on on Saturday night - any glitches with broadcast? It's a fantastic opera.

• Advertisement

What night are you thinking of going?

Not 100% certain yet but will be booking soon so we'll have to make our minds up. I'd say it will probably be the Saturday night.

Advertisement