Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opera in Ireland - general discussion thread on all things opera in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭marienbad

westtip wrote: »
    Will go along with that Jonny and intend booking soon to get a decent ticket in the right price categroy - SO are only coming to Dublin so the cheaper Belfast option is not there. What night are you thinking of going?

Marien, how was Don Carlos, I didn't get to drive to either Sligo or Castlebar for it as the roads a bit dodgy in northwest and frost forecast for later on on Saturday night - any glitches with broadcast? It's a fantastic opera.

Don Carlo just brilliant, but I am completely prejudiced in its favour, a couple of minor loss of transmission messages in Act 2 ,seconds only so not to bad, the fear it was going to go was worse

I saw the london production with whats-his-name and I much preferred him to Roberto Alagna. Roberto is all noble and dashing wheareas your man is much more vulnerable and weak.

is'nt ''per me giunto'' just so heartbreaking, and Keenlyside was on top form, he is Posa.

What a grand ,grand night for E25 .

Next up La Fanciulla on Jan 8th and one of my all time favourites Iphigenie en Tauride in february

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

marienbad wrote: »
    Don Carlo just brilliant, but I am completely prejudiced in its favour, a couple of minor loss of transmission messages in Act 2 ,seconds only so not to bad, the fear it was going to go was worse

I saw the london production with whats-his-name and I much preferred him to Roberto Alagna. Roberto is all noble and dashing wheareas your man is much more vulnerable and weak.

is'nt ''per me giunto'' just so heartbreaking, and Keenlyside was on top form, he is Posa.

What a grand ,grand night for E25 .

Next up La Fanciulla on Jan 8th and one of my all time favourites Iphigenie en Tauride in february

Marien, good for you! I listened in on the radio and enjoyed it - I have mixed feelings if it is good value for 25 euro in case the technology problems occur, which can rather spoil it. Its not a replacement for live performance and never will be. I wish there were more cinemas doing the alternative live opera shows from European opera houses - we only have one out west in Galway - and the recent Walkure was a no no due to the weather. You do like Simon keenlyside! he is a fine singer. I actualy think Alagna voice a bit light for this role.

I too am looking forward to Fanciulla. I hope the weather doesn't cock up the plans for that one.

Jonny I think I might go for Rigoletto on the Saturday too. Tis a long way for booking - maybe we should all have an opera boards meet up

Marien, good for you! I listened in on the radio and enjoyed it - I have mixed feelings if it is good value for 25 euro in case the technology problems occur, which can rather spoil it. Its not a replacement for live performance and never will be. I wish there were more cinemas doing the alternative live opera shows from European opera houses - we only have one out west in Galway - and the recent Walkure was a no no due to the weather. You do like Simon keenlyside! he is a fine singer. I actualy think Alagna voice a bit light for this role.

I too am looking forward to Fanciulla. I hope the weather doesn't cock up the plans for that one.

Jonny I think I might go for Rigoletto on the Saturday too. Tis a long way for booking - maybe we should all have an opera boards meet up

Absolutely no substitution for live performance, and while the big screen has its advantages it can also reduce the magic as it magnifies every facial expression etc and even the sideways glances as the singers look to the conductor in the midst of the love scene. Dos'nt help with the suspension of disbelief. But on the other hand the back stage views and interviews can be very interesting. This production was by Nicholas Hytner and I saw an interview by him after the London production and he had some real insight into the opera and I was hoping for more, but alas he was'nt there.
    25 is a bit steep when you think a blockbuster movie in the cinema next door is only 10/15, But if you like opera you must be rich ! Right ?

But if you like opera you must be rich ! Right ?

a lifetime of opera going will soon impoverish you, and like many others I have seen great performances from the cheap seats and standing at the back of the stalls! In fact three of my greatest nights at the opera were standing!

1. Tristan at Glyndebourne four years ago - the greatest night ever in an opera house. Ticket price 25 quid.

2. Tosca with Pavorotti in the late 1980s standing in the ROH. A tenner. he was still in fine voice then

3. Prom performance of Tristan at the ROH in 1981 with Jon Vickers and Gyneth Jones. three quid. They used to have a week of Covent Garden Proms sponsored by HSBC removed all the stalls seats and put 700 in on the floor. They were great events.

Total price for these three longstanding memories in my life: £38. Unbelievable isn't it!

a lifetime of opera going will soon impoverish you, and like many others I have seen great performances from the cheap seats and standing at the back of the stalls! In fact three of my greatest nights at the opera were standing!

1. Tristan at Glyndebourne four years ago - the greatest night ever in an opera house. Ticket price 25 quid.

2. Tosca with Pavorotti in the late 1980s standing in the ROH. A tenner. he was still in fine voice then

3. Prom performance of Tristan at the ROH in 1981 with Jon Vickers and Gyneth Jones. three quid. They used to have a week of Covent Garden Proms sponsored by HSBC removed all the stalls seats and put 700 in on the floor. They were great events.

Total price for these three longstanding memories in my life: £38. Unbelievable isn't it!

Nice ones Westtip. Lets do an all time top 5 favourite performances

You first Westtip:)

• Advertisement

Nice ones Westtip. Lets do an all time top 5 favourite performances

You first Westtip:)

TBH Marien it is too difficult a task those three I put up were unbelievable. Numbers 4 and 5 could be (though I might change my mind tomorrow).

4. DieMeistersinger at ROH the week before the theatre closed for renovations in 1997. Don't ask me to name the cast need to go back through programmes. I saw it twice that week - on the tuesday and the last performance before the house closed on the Saturday. Tuesday was the best, probably due to the seats I had in the stalls circle looking into the pit about 3 yards from the stage. The third act quintet was truly one of those moments after which I felt I could die happy. It was sang on the side of the theatre I was sitting about five yards from my seat. Remarkable.

5. And actually this one could be number one as well! Andreas Scholl in Rodelinda at Glyndebourne in 1998. His Vivi Tiranno was truly the most beautiful singing I have ever heard. The man has a voice of an angel the show literally stopped and the entire audience mid act rose to their feet - it was so totally "un glyndebourne" like behaviour from the audience. Ecstatic. If you get the chance to hear him sing in this opera. Drop everything grab the ticket and go.

I am afraid Marien though this is an impossible task - as I am already recalling many other great nights!

TBH Marien it is too difficult a task those three I put up were unbelievable. Numbers 4 and 5 could be (though I might change my mind tomorrow).

4. DieMeistersinger at ROH the week before the theatre closed for renovations in 1997. Don't ask me to name the cast need to go back through programmes. I saw it twice that week - on the tuesday and the last performance before the house closed on the Saturday. Tuesday was the best, probably due to the seats I had in the stalls circle looking into the pit about 3 yards from the stage. The third act quintet was truly one of those moments after which I felt I could die happy. It was sang on the side of the theatre I was sitting about five yards from my seat. Remarkable.

5. And actually this one could be number one as well! Andreas Scholl in Rodelinda at Glyndebourne in 1998. His Vivi Tiranno was truly the most beautiful singing I have ever heard. The man has a voice of an angel the show literally stopped and the entire audience mid act rose to their feet - it was so totally "un glyndebourne" like behaviour from the audience. Ecstatic. If you get the chance to hear him sing in this opera. Drop everything grab the ticket and go.

I am afraid Marien though this is an impossible task - as I am already recalling many other great nights!

I know what you mean about changing you mind tomorrow, I am the same. You are obviously a big Wagner and Handel fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭JonnyBlackrock

I happened to be in London once for one of those CG Prom weeks. I'm not sure when it was, maybe 1989. In the one week I saw Zeffirelli's Cav and Pag, a fantastic Marriage of Figaro, and best of all an exquisite Italiana in Algieri directed by Ponnelle, starring Marilyn Horne. Quite amazing. I queued outside, paid £5 for each performance and sat on the floor in the stalls. Unforgettable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Sandwlch

and Flavio & The Fairy Queen in BGOH Autumn 2011 hopefully

Courtesy of ?

Don Pasquale : OTC : Touring : Feb
    The Merry Widow : NCH : 19,20,22 Feb
    La Boheme : NCH : 25 Mar
    Don Giovanni : Lyric : 14,16 May
    Fantastic Mr Fox : ETO : BGOH : 25 May
    Il Tabarro & Gianni Schicchi : ETO : BGOH : 26,27 May
    La Clemenza di Tito : ETO : BGOH : 28 May
    Rigoletto : SO : GCT : 21-25 June.

Addition of the Don Giovanni. Not all we might dream of. But not quite the blank we might have feared.

• Advertisement

Anyone any news on the status of Opera Company NI. Progressing, dead, paused???

Sandwlch wrote: »
    Courtesy of ?

I read somewhere that English Touring Opera were doing Flavio and The Fairy Queen in Autumn 2011, but I can't find the link again.

I notice that the GCT are putting on La Traviata in November. The company is the Perm State Opera from Russia (or something like that) with the RTE NSO.

I notice that the GCT are putting on La Traviata in November. The company is the Perm State Opera from Russia (or something like that) with the RTE NSO.

Curious. New one to me. Lets be hopeful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaxzgXqzr2w
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perm_Opera_and_Ballet_Theatre

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

Hi guys - Just found this thread recently.

I'm fairly new to opera and have mainly been listening to Wagner so far. My interest in philosophy (i.e. including Schopenhauer) was what initially drew me to Wagner.

Back in September I flew over to see Tristan und Isolde in the Symphony Hall Birmingham and had an amazing experience.. :)
    (After, I went on to London to see Henry IV part 1 and the V&A Diaghilev exhibition but they are stories for other threads!)

BTW - have you heard this radiolab programme on the Ring Cycle ? It's a must if you are fan.

davej

Thanks and welcome this thread - have just listened to that link this afternoon - a good listen.

So you started with Tristan. Well done. One of the masterpieces of the last millenium. The greatest love story ever told on stage. This is my view and comes totally unbiased from someone who has seen this masterpiece 20 or so times. My first was Reginald Goodall conducting a WNO production Linda Esther Gray a Scottish soprano who deserved to make the greatest international Wagner stage was a quite sensational Isolde. Lots more since that first one in the 1970s - don't get me started pure bloody magic!

Tristan simply shakes you to the bones but there is a lot more to discover!

Anyway did anyone go to the Fanciulla from the Met on Saturday I was house bound and had to stick with the radio broadcast - enjoyed it.

In a funny way I kind of envy Wagner freaks. I find his music unfathomable - it doesn't do anything for me at all. And it's not for lack of trying as I have most of his operas on CD.

PS I recently bought tickets for Rigoletto at the GCT, for Saturday June 25th.
    Is anybody interested in the Traviata? I've never heard of the Perm Opera (I've heard of the ballet though - isn't that where that Irish dancer works?

Thanks and welcome this thread - have just listened to that link this afternoon - a good listen.

So you started with Tristan. Well done. One of the masterpieces of the last millenium. The greatest love story ever told on stage. This is my view and comes totally unbiased from someone who has seen this masterpiece 20 or so times.

Tristan simply shakes you to the bones but there is a lot more to discover!

Anyway did anyone go to the Fanciulla from the Met on Saturday I was house bound and had to stick with the radio broadcast - enjoyed it.

I went to it, great fun, sound transmission a bit wobbly for the first 20 minutes.My first time seeing it and I can understand why it not really in the mainstream repetoire. It makes a convincing case that all operas should be sung in Italian. As the miners sing of their longing for home and the soloist steps forward and sings a heart breaking verse somewhat diminished when the surtitles announce that '' even my dog wont recognise me''

Still a great night and I am glad I went, I was humming all the way home.

But the intermissions are just so long. A opera that comes in just over 2 hours is stretched out to 4. This is great when you are watching it live at the MET or ROH as they have the facilities to handle such breaks.
    Strolling around an Omniplex in Ireland that only sells popcorn and coke is not the same though. Still we must be grateful for small mercies, what I would'nt have given to have had such broadcasts all those years ago when I started on my opera odyssey and the shekels were tight.

In a funny way I kind of envy Wagner freaks. I find his music unfathomable - it doesn't do anything for me at all. And it's not for lack of trying as I have most of his operas on CD.

I have always had great problems with Wagner the man , he really was a sick twisted pompous buffoon in many ways .But I have always loved his music , separate the man from the art and all that, it can be difficult at times as his ''art'' is riddled with prejudice but the music just soars, there is nothing quite like it. Some of the greatest nights of my life have been Wagner nights.

• Advertisement

I have always had great problems with Wagner the man , he really was a sick twisted pompous buffoon in many ways .But I have always loved his music , separate the man from the art and all that, it can be difficult at times as his ''art'' is riddled with prejudice but the music just soars, there is nothing quite like it. Some of the greatest nights of my life have been Wagner nights.

I know Wagner was a pompous megalomaniac, but the biggest problem I have is with the music itself. I find it ridiculously long-winded, I don't enjoy the singing, and I have difficulty with the sheer self-importance of it all.

I know Wagner was a pompous megalomaniac, but the biggest problem I have is with the music itself. I find it ridiculously long-winded, I don't enjoy the singing, and I have difficulty with the sheer self-importance of it all.

I know exactly what you are saying as regards the self-importance and it extends to certain elements in the audience who look down on virtually all other opera music, as for those ''Italians'' cue shock, horror and a frenzy of eyebrow lifting.

and the way he demanded that the lyrics be treated as the most serious of literature in their own right is just rubbish, but it just goes to show how powerfull the ''gesamtkunstwerk'' really is in that it sloughs off these criticisms and it justs lifts one as no other opera does. From the astonishing openings to Rheingold and Die Walkure , Wotan's farewell in Act 3 Die Walkure, and on and on , Parsifal , Tristan Und Isolde , Die Meistersinger. It is all so breathtaking.

There is a part of me that wished I did'nt like it so much , but alas I do.
    And I have to confess that I have found very few works as rewarding.
    I am A bit like Darcy in Pride and Prejudice who comes to love Elizabeth despite her family, her inferiority and against the wishes of his family and his own better judgement

Look folks there is simply nothing more exciting than sitting in a theatre and hearing the opening bars of Rheingold knowing you have tickets for the next three in your wallet over the next few days.

I don't listen to Wagner I massage all my senses with it. Total immersion - it is the most highly recommended therapy for anything I know.

Simply magnificent!!!!.

Marien I agree about the intervals in an Omniplex, TBH I have enjoyed the opera in cinema experience more when they are not live but replays of live performances without the intervals. (Best tip is to smuggle in your own bottle of red and take half a baguette stuffed with goodies). I have yet to be thrown out of a cinema for consuming my own food! (and Rioja for that matter) just be discreet!

Look folks there is simply nothing more exciting than sitting in a theatre and hearing the opening bars of Rheingold knowing you have tickets for the next three in your wallet over the next few days.

I don't listen to Wagner I massage all my senses with it. Total immersion - it is the most highly recommended therapy for anything I know.

Simply magnificent!!!!.

Marien I agree about the intervals in an Omniplex, TBH I have enjoyed the opera in cinema experience more when they are not live but replays of live performances without the intervals. (Best tip is to smuggle in your own bottle of red and take half a baguette stuffed with goodies). I have yet to be thrown out of a cinema for consuming my own food! (and Rioja for that matter) just be discreet!

I agree Westtip both about the opening of Rheingold and to coin a phrase- the remembance of things to come.

I also agree on the goody bags at the Omniplex ,but you have to be discreet, my first time I walked in with my large coffee from Statoil and it was promptly seized , even as the kids wre flowing into the other screens with jumbo cokes and popcorn ! For safety reasons I was told- '' no hot drinks''- but really if we dont sell it you can't consume it.

Wexford announced their programme for the 2011 Festival today.
    Here are all the three operas:

La cour de Célimene (1855) by Ambroise Thomas, a comic opera in 2 Acts.
    Sung in French. Performance dates to be announced later.
    Maria (1903) by Roman Statkowski, a tragic opera in 3 Acts.
    Sung in Polish. Performance dates to be announced later.

Gianni di Parigi (1839) by Gaetano Donizetti, a melodrama in 2 Acts.
    Sung in Italian. Performance dates to be announced later.

All details can be found on their website at

www.wexfordopera.com

It looks good. Must book up for that Rigoletto in June soon.

Yes. There are a couple of excerpts from the Polish opera on Youtube and it sounds very impressive.

It looks good. Must book up for that Rigoletto in June soon.

I'm thinking about the Traviata in November as well. Have you ever heard of the Perm opera? I've only seen La Traviata on stage once and am quite interested.

Wexford announced their programme for the 2011 Festival today.
    Here are all the three operas:

La cour de Célimene (1855) by Ambroise Thomas, a comic opera in 2 Acts.
    Sung in French. Performance dates to be announced later.
    Maria (1903) by Roman Statkowski, a tragic opera in 3 Acts.
    Sung in Polish. Performance dates to be announced later.

Gianni di Parigi (1839) by Gaetano Donizetti, a melodrama in 2 Acts.
    Sung in Italian. Performance dates to be announced later.

All details can be found on their website at

www.wexfordopera.com

Just checked out Amazon and I bought Gianni di Parigi for 8.50 including post, it is on Nuevo Era so I dont know what the quality will be like.

I have noticed with Amazon that the prices of Wexford operas rises as soon as the programme is known. Last year they were even selling Virginia and The Kiss as a package at a much more expensive price that they were before and now. So get in there quickly

There are no recording of the others there.
    I will keep searching on other sites and let ye know if I find any.If anyone knows of recordings can you post here please.

• Advertisement

PS I recently bought tickets for Rigoletto at the GCT, for Saturday June 25th.
    Is anybody interested in the Traviata? I've never heard of the Perm Opera (I've heard of the ballet though - isn't that where that Irish dancer works?

Jonny never heard of them but usual links like Wiki have an entry - seems they are from the city of Perm in the middle of Russia they have a fabulous opera house look at this link:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/details?mid=74f0c481f7e2b6dc1da339fe6cc862cf

and the Wiki link is here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perm_Opera_and_Ballet_Theatre

They certainly seem to be very credible with big associations with Tchaikosvky who seemingly came from this area of Russia. Hopefully they will be better than Ellen Kent Opera that used to tour with old stalwarts a few years ago I think from Belarus.

I think they will have more credibility than opera ireland in any event. There official website is here , just click on translate in Google if it comes up in Russian, but I wouldn't say no to a two month programme like this!

http://operatheatre.perm.ru/en/playbill/2011/02/

There programme of events for January/February puts us to shame. My guess is they get the thumbs up and glad to see them coming to Ireland I will deffo go to Traviata by this company!

Advertisement