Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spaghetti Squash

Options
  • 06-10-2009 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭

Where can I get some?!?! I never see it in supermarkets!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

I have seen the seeds for sale in a few gardening shops :p

Got any Farmers Markets near you/allotments?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

spaghetti what???
    im intrigued!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

What is it indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

You know the vegetable "squash"? Well google images of "vegetable spaghetti squash" and you'll come up with what it looks like inside - it's all stringy like spaghetti and is AMAZING spread with a little butter and seasoned with pepper!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

I had it on Monday evening - but I was in France and my aunt has them growing all over the place.

Was yum with some vegan marg, salt and pepper!

Never seen them here. Maybe try the food co-op or the farmers market in temple bar if you live in Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Neither the farmers at the Food Co-Op nor the new market in Ranelagh village had them but I did find Patty Pans (they look like custard pies!!!) in the Co-Op.

Gonna have a bash at cooking one today as well as a ?little nut? squash.

101 Cookbooks, here I come :)

Patty Pans are lovely, but I really want Spaghetti Squash, I don't think I will be happy until I find some!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 16 schlep

I bought some seeds from a garden centre cos I couldn't find it anywhere

Don't think I planted the seeds early enough but if I end up any spaghetti squash I'll let you know :D

definitely let me know!! (and if you see a balaclava-clad stranger in your garden at the dead of night... it's not me... honest!)

Well unfortunately that balaclava clad stranger won't get very much at the moment but will remember to up my security if the plants do produce any squash :D

• Advertisement

haha! don't be surprised if this balaclava clad stranger is carrying a sieve searching for your seeds!! :-p

Well one of the plants has started to flower (see below)...so we'll see if it produces any squash

Spaghetti squash flowers.JPG

yay!! you must sing to it every day now :)

when are you meant to plant the seeds by the way? I'll give it a go next year as I guess I'm too late now...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I tried doing courgettes, and they looked like that. Trouble is i never got any produce. Turns out there are male and female flowers and you have to do some work! It might be the same for you. Plus, when I was in my neighbours garden, I saw that their courgette plats were in the ground and huge. With lots of courgettes. I only ever had small pots like yourself and last minute pollination, with no success. I have much to learn about gardening...

I think I should have planted them at the end of April...but it mas mid June by the time I got round to it

Not so sure about the singing :D

I read up about the spaghetti squash on the net and the one good point is that they have male and female flowers on the same plant so they should be self pollinating hopefully

I know very little about gardening as it's plain to see :o

yes, it was the same with my courgettes, male and female flowers on the same plant, but nothing happened. Unless you have a hoard of bugs going between them, you might need to get involved ;) I was so disappointed to get no produce, but the flowers were beautiful :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NGO

yes, it was the same with my courgettes, male and female flowers on the same plant, but nothing happened. Unless you have a hoard of bugs going between them, you might need to get involved ;) I was so disappointed to get no produce, but the flowers were beautiful :D

sweet-rasmus did you make raw spaghetti out of courgettes by any chance? Its on my to do list, might try it next weekend. Or did anyone else try it?

here is a video example:

no, never tried it. but you have me curious now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭NGO

here's another recipe for it. sorry to hijack the squash thread:pac:

Advertisement