Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

American junk food. Advice needed.

Options
  • 28-09-2009 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭

Hello Brothers,

I'm off to Miami next week for a week and i'm on a mission to double my weight. I have never been to the US of A and am looking for advice on the best junk food, snacks and beer available.

Any info greatly appreciated.

S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Everywhere you go, everywhere, there are fast food restaurants with lots of very fatty foods. Burgers galore

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭sendic

Not sure if they have 5guys burger joints in florida, but if you see one go for it. Unless you are allergic to peanut oil

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,575 ✭✭✭✭PFJSplitter

Best bet for food is to hit the all you can eat buffet places. Miami is known as 'little Cuba' for reasons which will be obvious during your visit.
    Hit the party stores for "Milwaukee's Best - Ice" beer - some stores run special pricing of 3 for $5 - that's (3) 40 ounce bottles of 5.9% alcohol, ice cold beer which is great for a hot day in the sun. Be careful NOT to take glass bottles onto the beach areas and watch for the "No Alcohol Beyond This Point" signs. Beach cops may give warnings, but it really hurts to pour ice cold beer into the sand...
    :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

I was there last September, staying at a hotel on South Beach because the manager was one of the lads uncles. Didn't think much of nightlife, all posers, waiting in queues for ages, $30 into the club and nobody getting drunk. We were the only white people there like, plus a few German tourists. Hope you find something better OP, do some research. Some good buffets for food though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

I was there last September, staying at a hotel on South Beach because the manager was one of the lads uncles. Didn't think much of nightlife, all posers, waiting in queues for ages, $30 into the club and nobody getting drunk. We were the only white people there like, plus a few German tourists. Hope you find something better OP, do some research. Some good buffets for food though.

WTF???? Why are they not drunk going in????

If I'm paying $30 in anywhere it better come with free drinks and a lap dance!!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

sendic wrote: »
    Not sure if they have 5guys burger joints in florida, but if you see one go for it. Unless you are allergic to peanut oil

Look at the size of them burgers!!!!five-guys.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Swampy wrote: »
    i'm on a mission to double my weight.

This will happen whether you want it to or not, everything is packed to capacity with calories. Drinks are the way to go - size of washing up basins and free refills. The are packed with sugar and christ knows what else, definite waistline expanders! Also, all you can eat places - shocking amounts of grease on everything (including the salads, not that you'll have time for salads!), and cheap!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭flanzer

Bubba Gumps is always good for food.... 1/2 lb shrimpers net catch for starters, Bucket of Boat Trash for mains and finish off with a Missisippi Mud Pie. Guaranteed to have you falling out of the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Any key?

Portions are gigantic
    Just eat everything on your plate.It will hurt but It will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Probably a bit late to this one, but I was eating.

In no particular order:

Bennigans - Think of TGI Fridays, but without all the good bits.

Chilis - a personal favourite. Try their boneless chicken wings.

Carl's Jr. - better than Burger King, IMHO.

Taco Bell - rancid. Do it. You know you want to.

Ruby Tuesdays - thing of Bennigans, but without all the good bits.

Foodruckers - carnivore's delight. Heart surgeon's despair.

Beer - sadly, in that part of the country the best you can hope for are the usual plethora of Lite Sh1te. You need to go up to Oregon for quality, locally-brewed beer. Been there, done that, loved every last drop of it. Oh Firefly Kolsch, how I miss thee much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i travelled across america so Ive tested out alot of the fast food places, theyre everywhere anyway. my fave place (besides subway) was taco bell. I didnt find anything in that place I couldnt eat, its packed with calories and easy to eat.

I got friends livin in miami and I stayed with them for a week, there are good bars you can go to that arent expensive and people are drinkin, but not as much as the Irish. You dont have to wait long for a drink in american bars i find.

If you get a chance try visit an LA fitness gym, lots of equipment but you will also see alot of swimsuit/fitness models, its amazing to see! make sure you tell them you want a week trial or something, dont pay and dont get talking to a sales person as theyll have u there for ages

for burgers and fries wendys seems best, mc donalds is worst there.

taco bell and wendys alternated each day and subway when u need a healthy snack. I didnt see many donut places there like in new york.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

I guess im too late too, didnt see the date of the OP

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

don't forget the supersize option

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Pontarosa Buffets are pretty good, As a man who likes his steak, I can vouch for that.

Chillies, as mentioned before is pretty good

Dennys, an oldies but a classic, Get the club sandwich, with fries and a ltr of rootbeer. Perfect.

And dont forget IHOP

DONT COME BACK HERE WITHOUT GOING TO IHOP*!

*International House Of Pancakes

** having just noticed the date of the op, i will forgive him this one time.

NEXT TIME....

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

DONT COME BACK HERE WITHOUT GOING TO IHOP*!

Damn, how did I forget IHOP? :)

Rancid, greasy, full of America's Underclass and very cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

well back from the states a while now.

Ate very well. Excellent food. Massive portions.

Junk wise, I ate in 5 guys burgers- amazing. Taco bell - nasty but nice. Lots of Kirspy Kreme doughnuts.

Also some amazing chilli fries and wings in some hick bar an hour outside miami.

The rest were good restaurants.

Beer wise, I mainly drank Red Stripe and Sam Adams ale. Tasty.

I will return some day for the size of the food portions alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭bluto63

Did you see any Popeyes Chicken while you were there? That was my favorite food place in the states.
    Hooters do some good wings too. That's what I went for, the wings... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 260 ✭✭chalad07

bluto63 wrote: »
    Hooters do some good wings too. That's what I went for, the wings... :pac:

I go to Hooters for the breasts...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 DanInTX

You really should try the traditional Cuban and other Caribbean types of food when you're there - should be inexpensive and plentiful.

Advertisement