Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk Alternatives

Options
  • 27-09-2009 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭

Hey hey.!

So I'm all about the milk alternatives, just wondering...
    Whats everyones favourite alternative to milk...
    Most well known being soy but these days we have a lot more options.
    :pac:

Your favourite milk alternative? 22 votes

Soy
    0% 0 votes
    Rice
    59% 13 votes
    Almond
    9% 2 votes
    Oat
    0% 0 votes
    Other/ Who needs a milk anyway
    31% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

can you even guess how i voted?! he he he

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

oats probably, and i cant blame ya, theyre damn tasty. Im in <3 with it

woohoo! Now, I may come across as a crazed lover of oats, such as you may soon become... take no notice ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I said soy but I've never actually tried any of the other ones...hmmm, must get around to that! What are they like price-wise compared to soy?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

soy, haven't had the rest much but like unsweetened soy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

I usually don't find myself in need of a milk substitute. I've only ever had soya so I voted for that. Alpro Soya Light mmmm.

I'd imagine it's not the healthiest of the options, though.

Coconut milk, anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭iora_rua

I've just discovered the Dream Rice Hazlenut and Almond which is lovely and sweet on the breakfast cereals - and, as far a i can read, doesn't have any added sugar (correct me if I'm wrong!). I think it's got vanilla in it, but as I've recycled the last container I can't remember all the ingredients!

The Alpro plain sugar free soya is OK in tea and you can also use it in coffee - I found that Tesco's own brand soya wouldn't mix with coffee. Have also tried the plain Oat Milk which is fine with cereal, but I didn't like it in tea as it's too 'watery'.

So really, I think it depends what you want to use it with - and you should take time to read the ingredients if you're trying to avoid sugar and fructose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

I couldn't vote because I prefer soya milk in my tea, and rice milk on cereal!

My whole family prefer unsweetened Soya.
    Getting offer a cup of tea is an expierence around our place....because dairy is refered to as "The Cats milk". And there is always much loud worrying that we have no "Cats Milk" left when we have visitors.

Getting offered a cup of tea is an expierence around our place....because dairy is refered to as "The Cats milk". And there is always much loud worrying that we have no "Cats Milk" left when we have visitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Oat all the way!

Moonbaby wrote: »
    Getting offered a cup of tea is an expierence around our place....because dairy is refered to as "The Cats milk". And there is always much loud worrying that we have no "Cats Milk" left when we have visitors.

Funny thing is, Cats are lactose intolerant and shouldn't be given milk!

So what is oat milk really like? I saw some the other day and nearly got some. Is it low calorie? I mainly have Alpro soya light with my chai...

not sure about calories. if you click on the product info for the oatly drink, i think it's all there: http://www.oatly.com/

I'm very calorie conscious see! Oat milk is the same as normal soya milk, that's 35 cals per 100ml. Alpro soya light is 21 cals, so I think I'll be sticking to that... but I'd like to try oat milk out of curiosity!

Looking at the Rice Dream website now and they have Chocolate Chai rice milk, Almond milk and Hemp milk... wow so many things to try! All the rice stuff is pretty high calorie though, but is so much better than real milk anyway so it doesn't bother me!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Probably not quite what you were looking for but...

Anyhoo, I was making my first cuppa yesterday and accidentally poured some smoothie into my tea, instead of milk. It was the mangos, lemongrass & (possibly made the difference) coconut milk one.

It was my first cuppa, so I said 'Feck', then I said "Feck it, I'll see what it tastes like" and y'know what - it was yum and I didn't need sugar either.
    Creamy, sweet, non curdled - yaah!

Maybe there's something in that about looking/trying/thinking outside the box.

Or the carton.

Funny thing is, Cats are lactose intolerant and shouldn't be given milk!

Not necessarily true....Many cats are lactose intolerant but not all.
    I have one who has adverse effects, she avoids it herself.
    I would genuinely fear for my safety if I denied the rest their daily sup.

It's weird, I cant really stand soy. Oat,rice and almond are way better and tastier.

Theyre all pretty cheap too, ALmond milk though is €4+ so meh.

again, i've read heaps of ways to make your own nut milks online. Have a google :) Then let us know how you got on ;)

again, i've read heaps of ways to make your own nut milks online. Have a google :) Then let us know how you got on ;)

I will!. I get paid on Wednesday, and I'll invest in some milk making ingredients.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I've tried soya, rice and almond milk. Rice milk tastes like sugared water and almond milk tastes like cardboard. I really want to try oat milk but it doesn't seem to be very fortified and I need those added nutrients :pac:

you can get Oatly Enriched, which has a heap of vitamins :) and it's cheaper than plain Oatly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

Alpro Soya, the fresh one not the UHT stuff. I like almond milk too but it's very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i said soy, but ive only tried it and ricemilk. mostly because when shopping, and checking the labels, them and oat are the only options, but the soy is the only stuff with B12 in it, so i buy it on those grounds.

though lol at the cheapo soy milk, which does actually contain milk solids. c'mon wtf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I'm not a vegetarian, but fwiw I like soya milk. I get the impression that the other "milk-alternatives" are expensive. I might try the oat-milk after seeing the results of the poll though. :)

Advertisement