Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harp Larger - Hard to find?

Options
  • 23-09-2009 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭

Why is it so hard to find down south, i'm starting to get a taste for large bottles of it but finding it very hard to find bars that stock it? Some publicans look at me like i've 2 heads when I ask for it...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think because most people think it's rank disgusting..TBH..usually found in dingy old man bars in dodgy inner city areas...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

When did you last have a bottle, I used to think it was rank, disgusting growing up but had a few bottles about 6mts ago and now have one where ever i can find it...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Nu-Centz

apparently its due to be remarketed to a younger crowd and given a new lease of life on tap around pubs/clubs...dont see why personally!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I don't like it, prefer Guinness but I know people who swear by the stuff!!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I've only ever seen it regularly up North or close enough to the border.

Personally, I've never liked it but the Nordies swear by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

I rarely drink in the pub but have noticed it seems to be making a big comeback in off licences, a year or two ago you hardly see it anywhere but now it seems to be in most places.
    It wouldn't be my favorite tipple or anything but it has grown on me as of late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Not so, I've seen it in many, many off-licences over the last eight or nine years.

And seen it on draught in a few places down south.
    But it seems the main market is in Northern Ireland

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Brings back so many memories....

but still horrible ****

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Insurgent wrote: »
    I don't like it, prefer Guinness but I know people who swear by the stuff!!

That's like saying you prefer Guinness to milk. Guinness is a stout, Harp is a lager, they're not even remotely alike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 GrooveBot

It sells quite a bit in off-licenses, plus they used to do a four pack for a fiver awhile back... brought up the sales no end.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭mac_iomhair

I used to drink harp... It gives you the worst hangover. I wised up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

It's also ****e, pure ****e, absolute ****e even. Just about worse than Smithwicks

*shudder*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Didn't they brew it in Dundalk?. I got into an semi-argument with this huge tub of lard that worked there at a conference we ran once, about how awful it tasted. I asked him how you can go to Germany and taste beer after beer, and they'll all be good, and then you come back to Ireland and have a Harp or a Heineken, and you can taste the chemicals off them. Needless to say he didn't agree with me, tried to claim it had won loads of awards etc.

Personally.. I'd nearly be afraid to throw it down a drain in case it cracked pipes down there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Last time I saw it was in Connemara. Not convenient when you live in Dublin

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Harp is very pop up North...hard to get down here ....why ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

Harp is very pop up North...hard to get down here ....why ??

Because it's shíte. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

My god im mad to try this stuff now! Surely cant be as bad as stella or fosters from a bottle, can it?

Ive seen it in backward pubs in Kerry and the odd off licence through the years, definately picking up a can for the craic now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Horp Lorgur, its ar thung. Nun a ye durty mecsicans ur gettin nur ut hoi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

It was my preferred choice of draught lager when i first started drinking. People say its very cutting but its also the hoppiest of beers. I like that bitterness. Its seen as a rural old mans drink these days, very hard to find it in the city/big town pubs. The 6 pack can still sells quite well in offies down south but you'll have to go further north to find Harp in a bottle. It was promoted big time in the 80s and early 90s through television, pub promotions and football sponsorship. The only place you'll see ads for it today are on UTV. Somewhat odd, considering its brewed in the Republic! It was probably never less fashionable in the South than it is now. Lets hope the rebranding with the green label will give it a new lease of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

By Gods Left Nad, does it give you a vicious hangover.

As some comedian, I can't remember who, said, "Its the kind of beer that you start off fine, the next thing you know, its three in the morning and you're standing over your cousin with a shovel, shouting 'I told you not to do that!'"

Will only drink it if, and I mean IF, there is nothing else. Well, in front of Coors and Fosters. Blech.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

It was on tap in the bar i worked in- Hylands in Ballyvaughan Co. Clare over the summer..... and we never sold it!!!! Honestly don't think that keg was changed all summer while guinness was changed at least every day!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 kenneth5

Albert Lynch's in Mallow is the only pub in the republic I know of that sells pint bottles of it. Tastes alright after getting used to it. Ony of my preffered beers. Would like to see it on tab more frequently. Lets hope the rebranding will boost it. Tis mucj better than a lot of mainstream lagers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

Had a can of it shortly after I started drinking 13 years ago. Can't say its an experience I want to repeat. I wouldn't like to imagine the state of the pipes that it comes out of - I don't think I've ever even seen someone order it!

Advertisement