Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Animal Rights: The Abolitionist Approach.

Options
  • 22-09-2009 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Some may know that there is (at last) a vegan-based attempt to begin an animal rights movement.

Gary L. Francione has just outlined some of the principles in his new podcast, available here: http://www.abolitionistapproach.com/

best

RY

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Interesting, will listen when I get home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

Gary Francione and his abolitionist philosophy was the biggest reason I became a vegan, seven days ago.

In my opinion, he makes the most convincing and legitimate case for Animal Rights; explains clearly how people like Peter Singer do not actually believe in the fundamental principals of Rights, animal or otherwise; and comprehensively exposes the bogus logic of the New Welfarist position held by PeTA and others.
    Francione is also not dry and boring like many philosophers. Tom Regan made me very sleepy but Francione writes in a straightforward, interesting and light manner.

Two of his books, Rain Without Thunder: The Ideology of the Animal Rights Movement; and Introduction to Animal Rights: Your Child Or the Dog, are available from the UCD library.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Must have a read of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

Actually I'm interested in buying 'Animal Rights: Your Child Or the Dog' but i cant find any sites that will accept laser and have it in stock :(

Censorsh!t wrote: »
    Actually I'm interested in buying 'Animal Rights: Your Child Or the Dog' but i cant find any sites that will accept laser and have it in stock :(

http://www.eason.ie/look/9781566396929/Introduction-to-Animal-Rights/Gary-L--Francione

Eason have it but not in stock. I'd give them a buzz.

• Advertisement

They should get it in for you no bother, and jus tlend it to me cos I'm cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

Thank you for the link. I hadn't heard of this guy before and TBH as a vegan, I never thought I'd come across a philosopher who takes a stricter stance on it than Tom Regan.

Anyhow, I'll track down this guy's books to get a more thorough picture of his arguments but I've read a few interviews with him online just now and I have to say I think his point about the shortcomings of the New Welfarist approach seems pretty convincing.

The concept of animal welfare has been around ca. 200 years with limited efficacy and we have to ask ourselves which method would be more likely effective long term for securing animal rights.

adamd164 wrote: »
    The concept of animal welfare has been around ca. 200 years with limited efficacy and we have to ask ourselves which method would be more likely effective long term for securing animal rights.

Francione constantly repeats the fact that despite 200 years of welfare reform, more animals are dying now then ever before and they are dying in worse conditions than ever before. That fact pretty much exposes, as a quick fix that doesn't work, the honest effort of people to improve the lives of some animals today through welfare reform.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 247 ✭✭adamd164

I agree, and I think that what Singer says about animals not having a right to life - just to not suffer - is extremely questionable.

Also, the stat on PETA having killed 85% of animals they've taken in is downright frightening. It was the principle reason I didn't renew my membership with them. As Francione says, they've also contributed to a marginalisation of veganism and their ad campaigns with pretty girls have just trivialised our movement.

adamd164 wrote: »
    I agree, and I think that what Singer says about animals not having a right to life - just to not suffer - is extremely questionable.

Also, the stat on PETA having killed 85% of animals they've taken in is downright frightening. It was the principle reason I didn't renew my membership with them. As Francione says, they've also contributed to a marginalisation of veganism and their ad campaigns with pretty girls have just trivialised our movement.

Absolutely. Its laughable how people who are classed as extremists and terrorists in the USA and Britain have often based their entire philosophy on the work of Singer, a man who in reality doesn't actually disagree with killing animals for food. Animal Liberation? Are you kidding me? The Father of the Animal Rights movement? Wtf?!

Compared to other social movements in our history, PeTA has really lowered our credibility in the eyes of the average Joe with this 'naked model' rubbish. Francione really put things into perspective when he wrote, "would Martin Luther King have advocated the slogan, 'I'd rather go naked than sit at the back of the bus'?
    PeTA, as you say, has seriously trivialised the message of Animal Rights and does not do justice to an honest social issue.

Abolitionism is the only way to go...

• Advertisement
Advertisement