Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Metro Today

Options
  • 17-09-2009 8:41am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i was having my daily flick through the Metro today and came to the album review section. It's rare that a hip hop album gets in here, most recently was Jay-Z but before that.....who knows. Today, there are 2 hip hop albums reviewed, Dizzie Rascals Tongue N Cheek and Illa J's Yancey Boys. Both goth 4/5 with nice reviews.

Interesting point from the review of Illa J is that all the beats used are J Dilla's (not suprised by this) but they are from the Labcabincalifornia days when he (D Jilla) was on Delicious Vinyl.
    I wasnt going to bother with that album, but i might just give it a listen now on that basis.

FYI - The other reviews are for Basement Jaxx and Nick Cave.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Underground

any opinion on "Tongue n Cheek"?
    was gonna buy it yesterday but i was kinda disapointed with "maths and english" so i bought the Asher Roth cd instead:pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Haven' heard it yet, been too busy listening to Speech Debelle, which is truely amazing (besides one song)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I'm surprised that they had Illa J - but underground for the metro i thought!

I usually wouldn't put too much stock in reviews in the metro or other general interest publications - often they are written by somebody who doesn't seem to like or have an appreciation for hip-hop.

I remember reading in the Blueprint 3 review some comment about Jay's flow being monotone and awkward (or something like that) throughout his career, which made me wonder had they heard any other album, other than maybe kingdom come - regardless of whether or not you like him, you would have to admit his ability to ride a beat has always been impressive!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Funnily enough, i was reading The Star on Saturday and they had an article about a battle between 2 groups, 1 from Duleek and 1 from Drogheda. Apparently they are posting 'dis' videos trying to out-do each other. A funny comment was that they are not sure if there altercation with each other has lead to any physical violence or not and compared it to biggie/2pac.

Anybody know any more about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dizzee has a new album out?

• Advertisement

Orizio wrote: »
    Dizzee has a new album out?

yep, been looking at reviews and it appears that its a pop album more than a hip hop album. Tiesto and Armand Van Heldon have done beats on it. He's probably doing this off the back of the sucess of his song with calvin harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    yep, been looking at reviews and it appears that its a pop album more than a hip hop album. Tiesto and Armand Van Heldon have done beats on it. He's probably doing this off the back of the sucess of his song with calvin harris.

There was a good interview in The Ticket with Dizzee last week i think, were he basically said that he's made grime albums, hip hop albums, etc and he will just be making whatever kind of music he wants now but his comments kind of signaled that he would be making more of the commercial records he has had mainstream success with over the last year.

I think he's caught a case of the Kanye's :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

It's not like he's singing. It's definitely a more light hearted album but his albums have been going that way gradually anyway. The Armand Van Helden song is Bonkers of course and the couple of Calvin Harris produced songs are Dance Wiv Me and Holiday so basically the singles off the album. It's not bad but don't go listening to it expecting to hear Boy In Da Corner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I don't mind commercial if it's commercial done well.

Tiesto though... I don't know. We'll see.

Advertisement