Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all veg*ns in UCD

Options
  • 15-09-2009 10:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

I am starting up a Veg Society in UCD and I hope any students in this forum will join and help me make it a success! I'm sharing space at the Greens stand in the Freshers tent and will be around most of the time. Come say hello and tell me that you are from boards :)
    Maybe you know a veggie in UCD who is not a boardsie? - send them over to me :D

Aims:

To increase awareness about vegetarianism and other diets.
    To support vegetarian, vegan, pescetarian, raw foodist, lactose intolerant, coeliac and other such students with special dietary requirements while they attend the college.
    To be a resource for the student body for information on the availability of food and products for these dietary requirements on campus and around Ireland.
    To bring together like minded individuals where they can discuss lifestyle, diet, and recipes.

Activities for the first year:

Monthly dinner outings to vegetarian cafes in Dublin such as Cornucopia (open til 9pm), Juice (open til 11pm), Govindas (open til 9pm) and Hell (open til 10.30pm) and will be undertaken on the first Tuesday of each month (Oct, Nov, Feb, Mar, Apr) at 6.30pm and the third Tuesday in January.

Meet-ups at Café Fresh, Blazing Salads and the Happy Pear for lunch can be arranged on non-academic days.

Bi-weekly or monthly meet-ups at lunchtime will be held on campus during the academic term, depending on demand.

Evening events, where members bake and bring food to share with other members, will also be held. This pot luck night has proved successful for the NUI Galway Vegetarian Society and a similar success is hoped for here at UCD. It is hoped to hold the first one on World Vegetarian Day, Thursday 1st of October.

See you at the Greens stand!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

hello to whoever i missed at the stand! i was told that a boardsie was over but i was away at the time. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 478 ✭✭CokaColumbo

hello to whoever i missed at the stand! i was told that a boardsie was over but i was away at the time. :)

Yeah that was me I think. I went over to the girl who was there and asked her, "are you the one who posted the message on boards.ie?" and I got completely blanked...was slightly awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Yeah that was me I think. I went over to the girl who was there and asked her, "are you the one who posted the message on boards.ie?" and I got completely blanked...was slightly awkward!
    I didn't know about the thread at the time! Sorr-ee, like.

...Welcome to VegSoc :)

Ah, glad you came over Coka :) I hope to get it made into an official society soon, then we can go wild!

I hadn't told monellia about the post I made til after, so while I was looking forward to boardsies appearing, she wasn't ready!

monellia wrote: »
    I didn't know about the thread at the time! Sorr-ee, like.

...Welcome to VegSoc :)

Thats cool...thanks for having me.
    I noticed that the Animal Rights society dont have a stall in the freshers tent; they don't have a website either. Do you know if they're still active or do they even exist anymore?
    Thought VegSoc might know as the two aren't exactly unrelated.

• Advertisement

I'd never heard of them, and I have been in UCD for quite some time! But I wouldn't be surprised if they were around and I'd never noticed them. Maybe monellia might know...

I'd never heard of them, and I have been in UCD for quite some time! But I wouldn't be surprised if they were around and I'd never noticed them. Maybe monellia might know...

They are listed as a society in the Freshers' Guide 2009 but yes they dont seem to be making much noise on campus. Monellia?

As far as I know there is an Animal Rights soc this year. I was looking around for them too but they didn't seem to have a stall. Odd. Perhaps they'll set up camp tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

oh hai guys. found y'all.

In regards to the Animal Rights soc, I know the girl who is trying to get the ball rolling, but the societies head isn't very enthusiastic about it. Plus there was a waiting list for the tent this year. I'll ask her next week and let you guys know.

Copy/pasting sweet-rasmus' post in the "What's on this week" thread:
    Veg Society event, Thursday 1st October
    *First ever UCD Veg Soc event ever!!*

To celebrate national vegetarian day and the set-up of UCD’s first Veg Society, we are holding a pot luck on Thursday 1st of October at 6pm in room D105 in Arts (to be confirmed). This is an event where everyone cooks something sweet or savory (or both) to share with everybody and it should be quite a tasty evening! Please mark your dishes as vegetarian, vegan and suitable for egg-free, dairy-free, gluten-free or raw food diets.

note room change!

All vegetarians, vegans, coeliacs, raw foodists, pescetarians, others with odd diets and lovers of vegetarian foods are welcome to come along

Bring along an empty lunch box so that you can dish all sorts of food into and eat out of it. I figure this is going to be a lot easier than everyone bringing plates, washing them or the instability of paper plates! And some cutlery would be a good idea too; the universal spoon should suit all possibilities.

Bring any interested friends along (there’s no fee to take part, just bring something along) and I look forward to seeing you at the event!

I’ll send an email to everyone who expressed interest in Veg Soc during freshers week. If you would like to attend and be added to this list, just let me know via pm.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peanut.

Oh wow this sounds amazing! Pity I'm in Trinity...

peanut. wrote: »
    Oh wow this sounds amazing! Pity I'm in Trinity...
    Come along! We don't give a sh1t :p
    If you need help finding the room, I can PM you my number and meet you in UCD.

Exactly, Trinity Greens often merge with the UCD greens for events. And if we manage to get started ok, then maybe interest in Trinity will increase in having a veggie society, and you never know ;)

Not to mention with my PhD course how we have 'Dublin Chemistry', where UCD and Trinity have joined forces :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 peanut.

monellia wrote: »
    Come along! We don't give a sh1t :p
    If you need help finding the room, I can PM you my number and meet you in UCD.

I'd love to but unfortunately I'm working :(

Ah well, next time hopefully! Thanks for the offer- enjoy!!

pm me with you mobile no and i'll put you on the mailing list if you'd like :)

Advertisement