Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loik wha? "ham-sandwicher"

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭

heard this called of certain groups of people in the context of Gaelic Games.

Anybody know what sort of disaparagement this is? I'm guessing it refers to the authorities, who just sit at meetings all the time and eat ham-sandwiches but unfortunately make the decisions that operatives then have to implement.

Am I off a mile?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭trout

I doubt the GAA would have anything to do with prawn sandwiches ... so, mebbe :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,022 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I'd concur - the hang sangwictches would be the culchie equivalent of the prawn sandwich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Growing up in Dublin, it was always an indication that a big match was on in Croke park when you saw the culchies parked at the side of the road eating the hang sangwiches and drinking Taylor Keith lemonade with the boot of the car open.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I imagine they're calling them muckers and insinuating they're too cheap to put their hands in their pocket for a six euro hotdog....

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Ham is just a waste of good bacon anyway, isn't it?

• Advertisement
Advertisement