Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite Wu solo album

Options
  • 13-09-2009 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

Seeing as OB4CL2 was just released and it's a fairly significant return to form for Raekwon it got me thinking about the other solo albums that have been released by the 9 members (and I'm only talking about the 9 members and not the affiliates). I think it's faily safe to say that for the most part the debut solo albums have been the best from each member and that on top of that consistency has been fairly hit and miss (Ghostface probably being the most conistent imo).

Anyway it's usually around this time of the year (Autumn/Winter) that I end up going on a serious Wu binge. Must be down to the general grimeyness of their sound but it just appeals to me more when it's cold outside and the nights are longer than the days. So true to form I've started listening to the albums heavily again and I find the one I go back to again and again is Liquid Swords. Imo it's the best release of the solos and only bettered by 36 Chambers. RZA's production is just ridiculous.

After Liquid Swords it's not so clean cut as to what I'd choose next. Ironman, OB4CL, Tical, Return to the 36 Chambers, Uncontrolled Substance? U-God's Golden Arms Redemption is the only one I don't really rate from the debuts (and yes I'm aware Liquid Swords isn't GZA's debut but it's from the same time that the others dropped). RZA's albums aren't bad but I much prefer his production to his rapping and find he is more effective when he's featuring on a track rather than carrying one by himself.

So, thoughts? What's your favourite solo album?

Favourite Solo? 17 votes

Ghostface Killah - Ironman
    0%
    Ghostface Killah - Supreme Clientele
    0%
    Ghostface Killah - Fishscale
    0%
    GZA - Liquid Swords
    11%
    KoldJimmy Iovine 2 votes
    GZA - Protools
    52%
    MakaveliOrizioDubhthamlachtBubs101Boom_Bapghostface stegodspalDiego Smartlyhorsebox09 9 votes
    Method Man - Tical
    0%
    Method Man - Tical 2000
    11%
    Raoul1mcampo1 2 votes
    Inspectah Deck - Uncontrolled Substance
    0%
    ODB - Return to the 36 Chambers
    0%
    Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    5%
    Document1 1 vote
    Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx Part II
    5%
    BLITZ_Molloy 1 vote
    U-God - Golden Arms Redemption
    0%
    Masta Killa - No Said Date
    0%
    RZA - B.O.B.B.Y. Digital
    5%
    Neamhshuntasach 1 vote
    RZA - Digital Bullet
    0%
    GZA - Beneath the Surface
    5%
    Loy 1 vote
    Other
    0%

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

Method Man - Tical 2000
    It is so difficult to pick!! Personally I would listen to Tical more than any of them but that doesn't mean I actually think it is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

GZA - Protools
    I was thinking about this earlier on today, for me it's between cuban linx and liquid swords, two of my favorite hip hop albums.
    I was listening to ob4cl today so im leaning towards that but liquid swords is flawless.
    Im going to listen to liquid swords again and then decide!

Edit: Even though i listen to ob4cl more, i have to it give to liquid swords.
    Rza's production on that album is unbelievable and gza and the other clan members rip it up, one of those albums were i can't pick a favorite or single out a weak track.
    Possibly the first album that comes to mind when people say ''anyone can rap''.
    ''Whats the meaning of crime? is it Criminals Robbing Innocent Mothafcukers Everytime'' - genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

GZA - Protools
    Had to pick Liquid Swords. Love OB4CL... Touches so much. But god the direction is just so focused and powerful in Liquid Swords. And the samples are just some much refined, and the movie clips are just dark and precise.
    Just amazing album.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GZA - Protools
    Another vote for Liquid Swords, followed closely by OBFCL and Ironman.
    Liquid Swords is pretty much a flawless album and i doubt that we will ever hear anything like it again. There is such a unique sound to it that i dont think will ever be captured again.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

GZA - Protools
    Another vote for Liquid Swords here also. Love the intro into the song with the young girl talking, great film also :p

I think this is the only GZA album i have listened to tho, Protools worth a look?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

GZA - Protools
    Protools....it's a tricky one.

I listened to it and didnt really think it was all that great. But when i have iTune on shuffle and a track comes on from it i always seem to like it.

So as an album i dont rate it, but when occassionally listening to a random song from it, it sounds ok.

I would suggest to give it a listen to see how you feel about it.
    His album with Muggs (and the remix version) are decent.

GZA - Protools
    Another vote for Liquid Swords here also. Love the intro into the song with the young girl talking, great film also :p

I think this is the only GZA album i have listened to tho, Protools worth a look?

It was young boy talking. I watched it the other day; Shogun Assassin. Deadly film!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

GZA - Protools
    Protools is alright, as Boom_Bap mentioned the collabo with Muggs (Grandmasters I think it's called) is a better album.

I'm actually a little surprised this has been such a landslide. Definitely thought there'd be a few votes up there for OB4CL and Ironman.

GZA - Protools
    I can't believe what I have say this evening... but it makes it feel like saying, that Liquid Swords is somewhat of an under-rated album by critics.

You see in the last hour or so my curiosity about my album collection spiked and went through some top 100 hip-hop albums. And time and time again critics have rated Liquid Swords in the 30-50 range. First of all I supposed critics might look down on the filler of the album being too much, but alas I was mistaken Ironman ranked above it the majority of the lists.

Liquid Swords in my own opinion is something that can never be re-produced in any format like Pete Rock and C.L. Smooth's Return to Mecca its got a stellar central track (Cold World). Like Nas's Illmatic it just over-flows with lyricism, the depth of the lyrics that GZA writes is amazing. Also RZA after 4 albums great albums had perfected a sound that was sinister and unnerving. The album also contained some of the best Kung-Fu samples of the Wu-Tang catalogue.
    The album however is not a mesche of other album struggling to brought to the top, GZA's smooth vocals and the perfect placement of his guests means the album has a cohesive personality of all of its own.
    While I would rate Only Built 4 Cuban Linx as more ambitious project, and having achieved more too with far wider scope, its the limited narrow perspective of GZA's album that makes it that bit better, you never left with the feeling in Liquid Swords of being over-whelmed, but you will finish B.I.B.L.E. shudder in its brilliance and possibly replay it all over again.

P.S. And somehow I feel like I am arguing about the Sistine Chapel and the Mona Lisa.

GZA - Protools
    Have to agree with the above post of Godspal. I think the dark production and samples and how it all ties together provides a very unique and distinct soundscape for Liquid Swords. This mixed with GZA's vocals and his kind of optimistic lyrics produces something which is exciting, and still exciting to listen to. The featured artists also have a massive influence on the album but i personally am always waiting for the GZA to get back on the mic.

But we should discredit Ironman, Tical and OBFCL. These are all amazing albums but they just dont have the same feel as Liquid Swords does.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Document1

Raekwon - Only Built 4 Cuban Linx
    That no1 mentions ODB - Return to the 36 chambers!!!! Man the insanity on that album!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

RZA - B.O.B.B.Y. Digital
    Pre 2000: Gza - Liquid Swords
    Post 200: Masta Killa - No Said Date

GZA - Protools
    Document1 wrote: »
    That no1 mentions ODB - Return to the 36 chambers!!!! Man the insanity on that album!

it good, but not quite as good as the others mentioned. Some of my favorite Wu songs are on this ODB album
    Pre 2000: Gza - Liquid Swords
    Post 200: Masta Killa - No Said Date

Never heard the Masta Killa album, is it that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

GZA - Protools
    Liquid swords by a fair margin although i haven't heard everything on the list. It's just so easy to listen to with every song a standout due to the great production whereas on the other albums I often feel that so many of the songs are just too similar (common problem with rap IMO). Probably prefer it to 36 chambers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

GZA - Protools
    Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Never heard the Masta Killa album, is it that good?

It's good and one of the better post 2000 albums but I wouldn't say the best. Fishscale is probably my favourite post 2k album.

You should check out No Said Date though, like Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa tends to be one of the forgotten members and he's quite a good mc.

Advertisement