Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC V Ireland

Options
  • 12-09-2009 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭

Hard to see reasoning behind some of the PDC decisions regarding Irish dart throwers and indeed the Irish dart viewing public in general. Take the upcoming Players Champs in City West. It is closed to entrants outside PDC/PDPA players and even worse is closed to the general public.
    However the recent tournament in Austria and similar upcoming events in both Nuland, Holland and Westfalen Germany not only allow entry from ''Continental Europe'' players but also allow the general public to pay for admission to watch these events.
    Also to make matters worse the PDC calendar say these events are open to (non UK) European players via PDC Europe entry system but on PDC Europe's website it specifies Ireland players are also excluded from its entry system unless PDPA registered of course.
    It seem we've fallen between the cracks in the PDC floorboards somewhere as we are no not only from the UK but not even seen as Europeans anymore.
    Maybe its punishment for voting ''NO'' to Lisbon !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

The BDO is the only way for me, an average dart player!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

BDO certainly a lot more economical anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭ratinakeg

BDO certainly a lot more economical anyway.

It sure is. £11 to enter the British Open, that's feck all!:)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I have been saying this for a while, the PDc really seems to be ****ing over the average Irish player. With the stopping the open qualifiers for the Grand Prix and making it is hard as possible for player to break through onto the tour, they have really set out their stall to stop Irish players from progressing.

As rat says, it looks like upcoming irish players are going to have to use the BDO and the Irish Players Championships to try and break through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I'd say that the certain irish players involved in them having to change has them sitting in their PDC offices with little sympathy for the irish players.

PDC is a business first, sports company second

• Advertisement

Killarney is the only exception and I think the main reason you can enter there is the high level of sponsorship being put in by both the Gleneagle group and a very generous Dub called Johnny McEvoy. Again though here we are it appears treated different to the rest of Europe as other 2 day events carry rankings for both days but it seems for some strange reason the PDC/PDPA do not recognise our efforts on the Saturday confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Whats the difference between a european held Players Championship and one held in ireland???

i dont see why we should be put to the sword

Don't know but would love somebody to get on here and explain it !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

Don't know but would love somebody to get on here and explain it !

Here I am - - and I will try to answer some of the queries regarding the PDC.

I am not an expert on PDC affairs and I do not speak on their behalf - - -

The PDC {Professional Darts Corporation} is exactly what it "says on the tin" - a professional organisation set up to cater for the needs of the professional darts players and it's main aim is to spread the professional darts game worldwide.
    The PDC has made no secret of the fact that it has no ambitions at this stage in time to get involved with local or county darts and they just want to sign up as many players as possible to the PDPA.

The Killarney Darts Festival is unique in many ways as the promoters have gained many concessions from the PDC for the event.
    The qualifying competition on the Friday night is the only event on the Pro Tour where 32 players will qualify for the Pro Tour proper on the Sunday and all of these qualifiers will be Irish residents !
    It is also worth noting that 42 of the 64 players in the prize pay-out on the Sunday in last year's John McEvoy Gold Dart Classic were Irish players.

The reason why the Gleneagle Irish Masters on the Saturday is not PDC-ranked is that the Promoters and Sponsors insisted that this event should be OPEN to ALL darts players at a reasonable entry fee and that it should not be another Pro Tour ranked event.
    300 players competed in the Masters last year - - - if it had been a Pro Tour event probably less than half that number would have played.
    The prize money for the Masters has been increased this year with a pay-out for the last 64.
    The prize money for the Ladies' and Youths' Singles has also been increased.

Unlike other Pro Tour events in Europe, and even in Dublin at the City West, spectators are allowed into the Gold Dart Classic on the Sunday in Killarney to see all of the top players in action - another concession for the Kingdom !

I know that a lot of Irish darts players and supporters , MYSELF INCLUDED, are very annoyed at the PDC for dropping the Irish qualifying competition for the SkyBet World Grand Prix but I WILL NEVER GIVE UP and will keep trying to have it revived.

I hope that the above answers some of the queries - - -

Dartgod wrote: »
    Here I am - - and I will try to answer some of the queries regarding the PDC.

I am not an expert on PDC affairs and I do not speak on their behalf - - -

The PDC {Professional Darts Corporation} is exactly what it "says on the tin" - a professional organisation set up to cater for the needs of the professional darts players and it's main aim is to spread the professional darts game worldwide.
    The PDC has made no secret of the fact that it has no ambitions at this stage in time to get involved with local or county darts and they just want to sign up as many players as possible to the PDPA.

The Killarney Darts Festival is unique in many ways as the promoters have gained many concessions from the PDC for the event.
    The qualifying competition on the Friday night is the only event on the Pro Tour where 32 players will qualify for the Pro Tour proper on the Sunday and all of these qualifiers will be Irish residents !
    It is also worth noting that 42 of the 64 players in the prize pay-out on the Sunday in last year's John McEvoy Gold Dart Classic were Irish players.

The reason why the Gleneagle Irish Masters on the Saturday is not PDC-ranked is that the Promoters and Sponsors insisted that this event should be OPEN to ALL darts players at a reasonable entry fee and that it should not be another Pro Tour ranked event.
    300 players competed in the Masters last year - - - if it had been a Pro Tour event probably less than half that number would have played.
    The prize money for the Masters has been increased this year with a pay-out for the last 64.
    The prize money for the Ladies' and Youths' Singles has also been increased.

Unlike other Pro Tour events in Europe, and even in Dublin at the City West, spectators are allowed into the Gold Dart Classic on the Sunday in Killarney to see all of the top players in action - another concession for the Kingdom !

I know that a lot of Irish darts players and supporters , MYSELF INCLUDED, are very annoyed at the PDC for dropping the Irish qualifying competition for the SkyBet World Grand Prix but I WILL NEVER GIVE UP and will keep trying to have it revived.

I hope that the above answers some of the queries - - -

Nice one Dad and it was helpful. You must be winded after that !
    All we need now is for the PDC to explain why the round of the PDC players in Dublin is treated different to other similar events held outside the UK.... ie no local entrants or viewing public ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement