Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brother Ali - Us Thread

Options
  • 10-09-2009 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

This album is out within the next month if Im right. Ive heard of him through boards first, after listening to some songs on youtube.com Im already a big fan.

So we all getting this, also you gotta check out his vid for 'Us'. Its a really short vid at 1.52 but I think its class.

Id wonder where people would rate him on this months main releases ie.

Brother Ali>>Raekwon>>Jayz (just an example)

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I personally would rate Brother Ali much higher that Rae and Jay Z.

I've been a fan of his for a long time now and have had the pleasure to see him live on one occassion.

You can check out another song from Us here

I would recommend picking up all his albums, they are all quality and it's hard to pick a bad song from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

where did u see him play??

tbh Ive got cdwow and play open to get his albums, feel he is good enough to pick them all up.

also on wiki it mentions his demo tape 'rites to passage''. anyone hear that one?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Seen him play with Atmosphere on the 3 The Hard Way tour last year or the year before last in Dublin.
    He's touring Europe again in a month or 2 but not playing in Ireland. I'll probably head to one of the German dates.

I would get them all if i was in your shoes. You will probably get some DVDs with Truth Is Here and The Undisputed Truth. It might be also worth looking up the cost on the Fifth Element Online store and compare against CDWOW and Play. But you have to pay for shipping. Fifth Element normally throw in a few extras in the package like stickers and the odd bonus CD.

I've only heard bits or Rites of Passage, it's good stuff.

ok got em, eh champion, shadows, undisputed, truth is here and us lol. ok addict to buying stuff so ill say im done for the month.

• Advertisement

there are also a couple of mixtapes which have stuff that are not on the albums.

Rope A Dope and Off The Books

But they are difficult to get on CD.

Just stumbled accross this, another new track:

http://rhymesayers.com/news.php#newsId_1840

Its the first video on the page.

Also check out his new website, http://www.brotherali.com. He updates it almost daily and post some pretty coolstuff on it.

You can listen to Us over on Brother Ali's myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/brotherali

i'll be stuck into this for the next day or so

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

I could never get into brother ali,he a bit too personal at times for me, ''room with a view'' is powerful though.

What would be a good album to try and get into his music??
    Ive heard good things about shadow on the sun so i might check that out.

have play.com or cdwow delivering it to me from yday i think. cant wait for it, sick my cars cd player is acting up and ruining the experience of cuban linx 2abit tho seems a quality album.

• Advertisement

horsebox09 wrote: »
    I could never get into brother ali,he a bit too personal at times for me, ''room with a view'' is powerful though.

What would be a good album to try and get into his music??
    Ive heard good things about shadow on the sun so i might check that out.

Shadows or Undisputed would be good ones to start off on.....maybe Shadows as it is less personal and more fast paced.

Just finished listening to Us, i'm amazed at how good this is. For the most part, it's a very personal album. Very emotional at some points, there is a song called You Say (Puppy Love) and it sounds like he is on the verge crying he is moved so much by what he is saying.

Ant as always has done a great job on production, ah, i'm going back in for a second listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

At first listen of Us i'm not overly impressed as i was when i first heard Shadows or Champion. It's different than previous releases and on first listen it's almost like he isn't trying to prove himself as he was on previous releases. An act that really made him stand out. And his rhyme scheme seems different too. He almost sounds arrogant on this release. Some of the beats are brilliant and Ant is one of my favorite producers. Although i don't know how many soulful tracks i've heard this year. It seems the in thing in certain circles and is getting kinda old. Guess i'll need to revist this album a couple of times before i settle on a final opinion of this.

a few listens later and i reckon the album is missing some hard hitting bangers. It's always been a trademark of Ali to have these sprinkled throughout an album but they are not as frequent on Us.

That being said, i do really like the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Noboruwataya

I heard Bro Ali is playing Crawdaddy while he's in the UK in March

that would be excellent if he did. Just been looking up his tour info and cant see anything passed this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

sweet bought and paid for, only 12e each too. **** YEA!!!

wouldn't let me buy them last night, will try now:)

Tickets purchased:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement