Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Speech Debelle wins Mercury Music Prize

Options
  • 09-09-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭

I hadn't heard of this girl before. Won the Mercury prize yesterday.
    http://www.myspace.com/speechdebellemusic

It's the exact kind of hip hop I don't like. People rapping over accoustic guitars and limp drums usually sound ****. It works surprisingly well on alot of the tracks though. They throw so much strings and other stuff behind it fills them out a bit. He lyrics are great as well.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Never really hear her stuff before, but listening now and it sounds really good.

I've stopped paying attention to the Mercury prize in recent years so i'm not sure who she was up against.

Anywho, i'll be on the lookout for her album to give it a proper listen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Can't be any worse than Speech from Arrested Development.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

Old thread, but i just started listening to her yesterday, and really impressed. i am generally not a fan of UK hip-hop, but really like this. i love the instrumentation used, and i love how the emotions carry through in her voice.

Definitely worth the prize.

Isn't it a pity though that only no confrontational/threatening relatively "wholesome" female MCs can seem to win major awards for hip-hop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Three Six Mafia won an Oscar!

Advertisement