Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Four Irish Players for City West

Options
  • 06-09-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭

Brendan Dolan, John Magowan, Mick McGowan and Jacko Barry have been confirmed as the four Irish qualifiers for the 2009 SkyPoker World Grand Prix which will be played at the City West Hotel in Dublin from October 5th. to 11th.
    Jacko Barry just edged out Ray Farrell for fourth place on a countback of points after both players finished level on the Order of Merit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Any Double !

Dartgod wrote: »
    Brendan Dolan, John Magowan, Mick McGowan and Jacko Barry have been confirmed as the four Irish qualifiers for the 2009 SkyPoker World Grand Prix which will be played at the City West Hotel in Dublin from October 5th. to 11th.
    Jacko Barry just edged out Ray Farrell for fourth place on a countback of points after both players finished level on the Order of Merit.
    Good 4, is draw made yet Dad ??

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Jpers

Will likely be on PDC Website at some stage tomorrow.
    Was in the Citywest area on Saturday and noticed that the new Convention Centre is looking almost finished. Heard that the Grand Prix was moving here, should make for a cracking atmosphere, even bigger crowd than previous years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

Good 4, is draw made yet Dad ??

A little bird told me, Pops, that the draw for the City West will probably be made on Tuesday, September 15th., on Day 1 of the Championship League Darts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭MACK DE KNIFE

A little bird told me, Pops, that the draw for the City West will probably be made on Tuesday, September 15th., on Day 1 of the Championship League Darts.

i heard the draw will be wed. 9 th sep.????

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Jacko Qualified!! excellent, i'll have to try get tickets for the night he plays now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

That's 4 players who all have a great chance of at least getting past the first round. really looking forward to ths tournament now.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭AndyP

I think its a poor representation based on curent form. Would not be surprised at 4 first round losses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Dubfan88

can you see any of them going far this year? Jacko really did have a chance against part last year!

Dubfan88 wrote: »
    can you see any of them going far this year? Jacko really did have a chance against part last year!

Exactly, last year.
    Their form has been nowhere what it was. There are far better players around ireland at this present moment but the way the PDC o.o.m works means you carry points for two years.

AndyP wrote: »
    Exactly, last year.
    Their form has been nowhere what it was. There are far better players around ireland at this present moment but the way the PDC o.o.m works means you carry points for two years.

Apart from Brendan Dolan, who reached the semi-finals of the Austrian PDC Players' Championship on Sunday, none of the others have impressed on the PDC circuit over the past year.

They have four weeks to practise before the Grand Prix starts on October 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MollieMay

I could count on one hand the amount of tournaments that Jacko Barry has travelled to this year. My hubby was talkin to him at a tournament in Kilkenny a while back and he was sayin that he can't afford to travel cos he lost most of his sponsorship this year. I take my hat off to any lad that still qualifies even though he hasn't done a lot of travellin! Mick McGowan was Ireland's top ranked PDC player for years, and won't go down without a fight. Mr Magoo & Brendan Dolan are also two brill players. I think Ireland are very well represented this year! Same line-up as last year. Coincidence? I think not. Decent players who deserve their spot!

Oh, and Dartgod, I wouldn't plan on turning up at the Citywest on 12th October - you might find yourself a tad disappointed!

Well done, MollieMay, for spotting the 'deliberate mistake'.

Let me have your address and I will send on your prize !

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

MollieMay wrote: »
    I could count on one hand the amount of tournaments that Jacko Barry has travelled to this year. My hubby was talkin to him at a tournament in Kilkenny a while back and he was sayin that he can't afford to travel cos he lost most of his sponsorship this year. I take my hat off to any lad that still qualifies even though he hasn't done a lot of travellin! Mick McGowan was Ireland's top ranked PDC player for years, and won't go down without a fight. Mr Magoo & Brendan Dolan are also two brill players. I think Ireland are very well represented this year! Same line-up as last year. Coincidence? I think not. Decent players who deserve their spot!

Oh, and Dartgod, I wouldn't plan on turning up at the Citywest on 12th October - you might find yourself a tad disappointed!

mick mcgowan is only in this tournament because he went cryiny to barry hearn to make it the top 4 ranked irish players qualify.before that he had to qualify like the rest of the players but he couldn't 'cos he was beaten every time.this was a great tournament when you had all the ordinary players in ireland turning up to try and get 1 of those 4 spots.the qualifers were a great day out.but because mcgowan could never win through he whinged about it til he got it changed in his favour.whatever about the other lads you can bet your bottom dollar mcgowan wont get by the 2nd round.HIS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
    coincidence!yes i think so.they've worked it out so they get through,if they went up against players in the qualifers they wouldn't make it!

Well done, MollieMay, for spotting the 'deliberate mistake'.

Let me have your address and I will send on your prize !
    Listen Dad, at your time of life things get a bit blurred and mistakes creep in.
    We ''youngsters'' forgive you.wink.gifwink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

DFD wrote: »
    mick mcgowan is only in this tournament because he went cryiny to barry hearn to make it the top 4 ranked irish players qualify.before that he had to qualify like the rest of the players but he couldn't 'cos he was beaten every time.this was a great tournament when you had all the ordinary players in ireland turning up to try and get 1 of those 4 spots.the qualifers were a great day out.but because mcgowan could never win through he whinged about it til he got it changed in his favour.whatever about the other lads you can bet your bottom dollar mcgowan wont get by the 2nd round.HIS JUST NOT GOOD ENOUGH.
    coincidence!yes i think so.they've worked it out so they get through,if they went up against players in the qualifers they wouldn't make it!

Well said mate, I look foward to the days the players who did this lose their top 4 Irish rankings who will they cry to then!! This is still a very sore point with a lot of players in Ireland and the players involved have lost the respect of these players.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I used to like Mick McGowan but after him having a bog old cry I have lost all respect for hi. The qualifiers used to be the biggest tournament of the year and it was great to see an average joe player get his big moment on the telly.

PDC has to take some blame for this as well though, poor decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭DFD

Carrickman wrote: »
    Well said mate, I look foward to the days the players who did this lose their top 4 Irish rankings who will they cry to then!! This is still a very sore point with a lot of players in Ireland and the players involved have lost the respect of these players.

i'm looking forward to that day myself.they'll probaly try and get it changed back so they can have a shot at qualifying.

I think Ireland are very well represented this year! Same line-up as last year. Coincidence? I think not. Decent players who deserve their spot!
    No disrespect intended to any of the players involved, they are obviously all top class throwers. But as you said yourself they are struggling to attend the UK events due to lack of sponsorship and are therefore not being exposed to the sort of opposition these lads need to be playing regularly.

Because the order of merit is a 2 year cycle these lads are carrying the points they got last year and not on this years form. Thats the reason the line up is the same as last year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 MollieMay

AndyP wrote: »
    Because the order of merit is a 2 year cycle these lads are carrying the points they got last year and not on this years form. Thats the reason the line up is the same as last year.

The 4 spots for the Grand Prix are offered to
    "Top 4 Nationals of Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland from the Players Championship Order of Merit not otherwise qualified" (PDC Website)

The Players Championship Order of Merit is wiped clean on 1st of Jan every year - so they're only qualified on money won since 1st January.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭padr81

The 4 spots for the Grand Prix are offered to
    "Top 4 Nationals of Northern Ireland or the Republic of Ireland from the Players Championship Order of Merit not otherwise qualified" (PDC Website)

The Players Championship Order of Merit is wiped clean on 1st of Jan every year - so they're only qualified on money won since 1st January.

yeah but they are the only ones playing in the pdpa events. the only other notable irish players in the PDC the last couple of years were McBrearty and Farrell and Felix hasn't played any event this year. The national qualifiers are far fairer and give a man on form a chance. Those players aren't there on merit, they are there cause they are the top 4 of 5 players who have paid there PDPA membership.

Imho only Dolan is in the top 10 players in the country on current form. It'd be much better having a qualifier and letting the likes of Elder, O'Neill, Willie O'Connor etc... compete as they are the ones throwing the darts to compete. Its no good putting a token irish man (or men) in the draw if they are going to get thrashed, only makes irish darts seem far weaker than the scene currently is.

• Advertisement

padr81 wrote: »
    yeah but they are the only ones playing in the pdpa events. the only other notable irish players in the PDC the last couple of years were McBrearty and Farrell and Felix hasn't played any event this year. The national qualifiers are far fairer and give a man on form a chance. Those players aren't there on merit, they are there cause they are the top 4 of 5 players who have paid there PDPA membership.

Imho only Dolan is in the top 10 players in the country on current form. It'd be much better having a qualifier and letting the likes of Elder, O'Neill, Willie O'Connor etc... compete as they are the ones throwing the darts to compete. Its no good putting a token irish man (or men) in the draw if they are going to get thrashed, only makes irish darts seem far weaker than the scene currently is.
    If the format for qualifying stays the same then the players will stay the same. Love them or hate them the few guys that still attend PDC events deserve a pat on the back for being able to even attend 1 event never mind anymore ! It is very prohibitive for anybody to play in the PDC from this side of the pond either North or South of the border as most tournaments are in the UK.
    To play in a PDC tournie over there means probably to some of us taking a Friday and Monday off work (if we're lucky enough to still have a job that is) 3 nights B+B as you'd have to be there to sign in early Sat and with the hope you'd be still involved Sunday afternoon would more than likely stay Sun night too.
    Then theres the £100 Sterling entry per event both days, 3 days grub and maybe ''the odd drink'' Then of course flights to pay for which as we all know prices go up the weekend. Add it all up inc the loss of 2 days pay and it could run to nearly a grand.
    I've watched the numbers travelling shrinking by the month and the way things are there'll hardly be enough Irish players in the PDC in a year or 2 to fill the 4 places anyway icon9.gificon9.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Carrickman

All it takes is for one of the other Irish players to have a good weekend in Killarney to get them into the rankings to shake things up.

Advertisement