Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quorn slices

Options
  • 04-09-2009 4:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭

Has anyone seen quorn ham slices around?
    For years I had been going to Northern Ireland to get them, then a few months ago Tesco started stocking them now they've disappeared again, I've tried a few Dublin branches but no success.
    Tesco staff not particularly helpful "if they're not there we don't have them" type of comments.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

i've only ever seen the Redwood slices in Dublin and only in health food stores. Never any Quorn ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 lo2009

yeah my mam always gets those when she goes up the north, i have to say i've never seen them in any of the shops down here though...

do you like the ham slices, theres something i find very fake about them i cant stomach them because they're very dry, although i do like the quorn turkey and stuffing slices they're nice:)

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

My sis in law picked up both the chicken and ham picnic slices about a month back - I'm fairly sure in Tesco, Greystones. If not there, then Tesco in Cabinteely. Both very convincing in sambos.

Never had the Redwood s"ham" slices but I have to say that the Quorn rashers were way better than the Redwood ones, though I possibly overcooked the Redwood's ones. In fact, when the sis-in-law was frying the Quorn rashers, I was a bit freaked, as it was just like smelling "the real thing".

Whereabouts are you? If it was earlier, I'd have popped down to the Jervis Centre for a check. Maybe, tomorrow I might.

**edit** Yup.Tesco Greystones. Not in storenow so sis in law requested them.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 bmtannam

Has anyone seen quorn ham slices around?
    For years I had been going to Northern Ireland to get them, then a few months ago Tesco started stocking them now they've disappeared again, I've tried a few Dublin branches but no success.
    Tesco staff not particularly helpful "if they're not there we don't have them" type of comments.

What is Quorn and why do people eat it?

bmtannam wrote: »
    What is Quorn and why do people eat it?

It is a fake meat made from Mycoprotein, invented to help deal with growing worlds population vs. limit in earths ability to feed hoomans. It replicates chicken most effectively but at this stage, replicates most common meat products.

High in protein, quick to cook, nommy nom nom, available in supermarkets, vegetarian but not vegan. 'tis wiki'ed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Tesco in Douglas, Cork always has the ham and chicken ones in stock, but not the turkey/stuffing *craves*

Come to think of it, I haven't seen those 'chicken' and mushroom pies either, since the new range was put on the shelves with all the other happy-making options back in the dim mists of June/July.

All I see now usually in Tesco are the large dishes - cottage pie and lasagne and the dearer, fridge equivalents of the 'mince' and 'chicken' pieces that we used to get frozen. That said, Tesco , Jervis has the best freezer range around, with the rashers, plain fillets, fake pork and fake lamb...and Swedish meatballs, along with some Lind McC, their own offerings and the RealEat Vege mince.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

taram wrote: »
    Tesco in Douglas, Cork always has the ham and chicken ones in stock, but not the turkey/stuffing *craves*

I've never tried the turkey and stuffing :eek:

I want!! :pac::pac:

The ham one is awesome in a grainy brown bread sammich with mustard and cheese NYOM! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Tesco tell me that they have been "delisted" - part of their revamp of the stores last month.
    So it's back to monthly trips across the border to stock up on quorn, :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Way to go Tesco - take a step backwards...

I had gorgeous Quorn Turkey with Cranberry slices in London recently. God I wish this country would catch up!

• Advertisement

Tesco tell me that they have been "delisted" - part of their revamp of the stores last month.
    So it's back to monthly trips across the border to stock up on quorn, :(
    Way to go Tesco - take a step backwards...

I had gorgeous Quorn Turkey with Cranberry slices in London recently. God I wish this country would catch up!

Right so troops, maybe it's time we all emailed them and asked for them back. cleardot.gifcustomer dot services at tesco dot ie

I know that the Tesco consumer line has been swamped with the recent changeover of the stores, so I think a common Subject line might stand out, something like "We can has Quorn picnic slice range back NOW, plzthxbai?". *

I wouldn't mind, but I thought they were part of the NEW range being brought in :mad:

* might also give the poor customer services monkey a wee chuckle, lordlove'em

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Right so troops, maybe it's time we all emailed them and asked for them back. cleardot.gifcustomer dot services at tesco dot ie

I know that the Tesco consumer line has been swamped with the recent changeover of the stores, so I think a common Subject line might stand out, something like "We can has Quorn picnic slice range back NOW, plzthxbai?". *

I wouldn't mind, but I thought they were part of the NEW range being brought in :mad:

* might also give the poor customer services monkey a wee chuckle, lordlove'em

I think Tesco in the border counties might still stock it. Certainly Tesco Dundalk have a much better range than branches further south.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

Tesco in Dundrum have the best variety of Quorn produce. I saw those slices that ye mentioned there. They even do Quorn rashers. It's sad but I got very excited when I saw this. Might pop out there again very soon. Nom noms.

Wilde86 wrote: »
    Tesco in Dundrum have the best variety of Quorn produce. I saw those slices that ye mentioned there. They even do Quorn rashers. It's sad but I got very excited when I saw this. Might pop out there again very soon. Nom noms.

Eh where? I was up there earlier and couldn't find them anywhere. BTW the Vegebacon 'rashers' are far nicer (IMHO obviously) and can be got in the health store on teh next floor up. That shop does a lot of the Frys range of foods too and more.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Eh where? I was up there earlier and couldn't find them anywhere. BTW the Vegebacon 'rashers' are far nicer (IMHO obviously) and can be got in the health store on teh next floor up. That shop does a lot of the Frys range of foods too and more.

It was a few weeks ago that I saw them. They were in the fridge next to the real ham slices. I haven't been there since then so maybe they're out of stock or something. I must give the other ones that you mentioned a look see too.

They were in the fridge next to the real ham slices.
    Well they're not there now! Tesco stock is very unpredicatable anyway. The frozen veggie stuff was looking a bit bare too.

That shop upstairs (The Health Store I think) stocks that range of "cheatin' chicken" slices which I find nicer than the Quorn ones, I found the Quorn slices a bit rubbery.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Molberts

they havent been in my local tesco for ages either :(

*cries*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

I've only ever seen very basic quorn stuff in Dundrum tesco.

My mum always gets these up north for me too, they'd be such a good seller down here that i don't know why Dunnes etc don't cop on and stock them!

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Sometimes see them in Tesco in rathmines too

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Sometimes see them in Tesco in rathmines too

Was that a long time ago? Rathmines Tesco has very little in the way of Quorn/veggie products and what they have is well hidden. It's my local Tesco and I prefer to drive to Rathfarnham than walk around to it. Awful shop, awful staff and no visible managers.
    Just last week I asked one member of staff who was stacking shelves if they had vegetarian spring rolls. Given that he was packing microwave burgers (of the meaty kind) in THE EXACT SPOT where the spring rolls go I though he'd know. "dey ususally go dere" he said pointing at the stack of burgers he'd just put there. I don't know what it is about Tesco the past few years... they seem determined to offer the worst service possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

i emailed TESCO on the 4th of December asking why they had stopped stocking Quorn Slices, got 1 email saying 'we will find out and email you'.
    I have sent 5 emails since and still nothing back . :mad::mad:
    And its seems they are reducing the stock they get in Tullamore, we had a full Fridge space solely for Vegetarian stuff, not we have like 2 partial shelves...
    OH I HOPE SAINSBURYS COMES TO SOUTHERN IRELAND WITH ALL THEIR YUMMMMMMMY- AND FAIRLY INEXPENSIVE VEGGIE FOOD

OH I HOPE SAINSBURYS COMES TO SOUTHERN IRELAND WITH ALL THEIR YUMMMMMMMY- AND FAIRLY INEXPENSIVE VEGGIE FOOD

Well Tesco came to Ireland and gave us less choice than their UK customers. I wouldn't be too optimistic. The problem is the veggie market down here is small, or at least percieved to be small. The fact is that if Tesco et al could trun a profit on these goods they'd be stocking them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭all the stars

So,
    Finally Tesco got back to me with this:
    Firstly, I’d like to apologise for the delay in getting back to you.

Please let me assure you that we always try to respond to our customers’ queries in a timely manner and I’m sorry that due to high volumes of contact, this has not happened on this occasion.

In relation to your query regarding the Quorn Deli range in your Tullamore store, I have called the store and discussed this with the Duty Manager Michael. He has assured me that there are still 10 to 12 products stocked in store from this range.

Therefore if there are products in particular that you can no longer purchase please let me know what the products are and I will be happy to look into this further for you.

10 or 12 products eh? thats nice.....

Advertisement