Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is the job market starting to pick up in Ireland?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭di2772

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Im a qualified civil engineer & lost my job back in January & applied for numerous jobs since been unemployed but the wage being offered has definatly dropped a lot im trying to weigh up if im better off on social welfare, their 2 weeks ago applied for a management position in a petrol station thinking il get at least €12 ph for that role got a call back did the interview went quiet well until the money bit was told €8 ph for 1st 60 hrs worked because of training etc that would go up to €9 an hr once fully trained i think thats bolox im gettin €260 pw on the dole that includes rent allowance + medical card, if i took this job and done a 40hr wk il Net €320 approx :rolleyes:

Simple answer. Dont take it.
    Why not retrain or adapt. Or go to the UK. There are more options than people think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

SIX PACK wrote: »
    Im a qualified civil engineer & lost my job back in January & applied for numerous jobs since been unemployed but the wage being offered has definatly dropped a lot im trying to weigh up if im better off on social welfare, their 2 weeks ago applied for a management position in a petrol station thinking il get at least €12 ph for that role got a call back did the interview went quiet well until the money bit was told €8 ph for 1st 60 hrs worked because of training etc that would go up to €9 an hr once fully trained i think thats bolox im gettin €260 pw on the dole that includes rent allowance + medical card, if i took this job and done a 40hr wk il Net €320 approx :rolleyes:

8 euro per hour for a managment position? Well it's under the minimum wage for starts... Also, who the hell would work for that with such huge responsibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Hi Six pack I know what you mean, the area I'm looking at is admin, one company wanted an office manager for €17,886 a year, that is ridiculous, I think that a few companies are taking advantage of the ecomomic downturn and the very low wages they offer are counter-productive. Sad thing is they'll get someone to do that job. I also believe that if a company is offering a job way under the average wage ie: (using admin as an example) where a job might have been 30,000 a year and is now 25,000 a year, that's fair enough but when they go as low as 20,000 a year or under, they are taking advantage and to be honest if they are like that, they will be unscrupulous in other ways as well. I have personally set a lowest figure that I will work for, I have to both economically and for my self respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭MysticalRain

miec wrote: »
    Hi Six pack I know what you mean, the area I'm looking at is admin, one company wanted an office manager for €17,886 a year, that is ridiculous, I think that a few companies are taking advantage of the ecomomic downturn and the very low wages they offer are counter-productive. Sad thing is they'll get someone to do that job. I also believe that if a company is offering a job way under the average wage ie: (using admin as an example) where a job might have been 30,000 a year and is now 25,000 a year, that's fair enough but when they go as low as 20,000 a year or under, they are taking advantage and to be honest if they are like that, they will be unscrupulous in other ways as well. I have personally set a lowest figure that I will work for, I have to both economically and for my self respect.

It's actually a really crazy way to run a business. Either they will end up with somebody who is really underqualified, or they'll get an experienced person who will move on soon as the economy picks up. A false economy if ever there was one.

Once social welfare is reduced, people will just have to take lower paying jobs. No longer will it be economical to stay on the dole "for your self respect." The amount you get on the dole is also preventing people going to the UK to look for work. There are plenty of jobs over there, but people get enough on the dole here that they dont want to get out of their comfort zone and travel to find work either.

The comfort zone for the unemployed here is quite good. Why on earth would they want to work when they get nearly €1000 a month for not working plus other benefits.

Its not good though that for some sectors its come down to a choice of whether you are better off working or on the dole. What a ****ed up situation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

one company wanted an office manager for €17,886 a year, that is ridiculous

I don't want to sound harsh, but is it really? Office manager is just a receptionist job with a few other basic responsibilities (e.g. ordering stationary) so it is an unskilled, bottom of the ladder position.

You really shouldn't expect to get anything other than minimum wage for that sort of job.

I understand the property bubble pushed up everyone's salaries no matter how unskilled the job was, but an office manager should and will be a low paying job.

No offence...

Perhaps improve your skills/education if you want a higher paying job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi

I was speaking to some friends who work in recruitment and they felt that in the last 2 months there are more jobs starting to come in :)

Do jobseekers feel the same?

Would be interested to hear what you think

Mairead

NO I have to disagree, companies are still looking at ways to cut back on costs.

Maybe mid 2010 it might pick-up..... nothing doing out there in my profession anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 26 thunderdan

Im being made redundant soon, and so have started the job hunt. I thought the same that alot of jobs didnt exist or that any i applied for just never replied. However in the last week alone I have received three PFOs (not ideal but it least its closure :rolleyes:) and two 1st round interviews.

I think some of the other posters have said something similiar. Broaden your search and lower expectations somewhat, get a job first and then look to improve your situation....

good luck to all jobhunters!

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭subfreq

thunderdan wrote: »
    Broaden your search and lower expectations somewhat, get a job first and then look to improve your situation....

good luck to all jobhunters!

I have to say that is very sagely advice. I found out on Wednesday that I am redundant at the end of October. First few days of looking was disheartening until you tune into the way the market has now adjusted.

I have a little bit of time to play with so I am now firing off the CV to quite a few different roles and have lowered my expectations to try and hit the ground running.

When you already have two kids and one on the way in February you face up to the hard facts of your situation pretty quickly I can tell you!!

Although I will have no shame if I have to draw the dole it's a real goal to not have to. No matter if I end up working in a chipper!

Good luck all!

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭miec

Once social welfare is reduced, people will just have to take lower paying jobs. No longer will it be economical to stay on the dole "for your self respect." The amount you get on the dole is also preventing people going to the UK to look for work. There are plenty of jobs over there, but people get enough on the dole here that they dont want to get out of their comfort zone and travel to find work either.

The comfort zone for the unemployed here is quite good. Why on earth would they want to work when they get nearly €1000 a month for not working plus other benefits.

First of all not everyone can go to the UK whether that is family committments, etc, nor should they have to. Being ripped off by an employer is not on either because it affects the person and the overall economy, if people have too low an income they can't afford to buy things and this drives the economy down even further. Additionally there is less tax from them and they have to rely on some form of welfare supports, such as medical cards, etc, so very low wages are counterproductive. There has to be a baseline in line with a person's experience and education, not a free for all take the piss because its a recession. If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.
    I don't want to sound harsh, but is it really? Office manager is just a receptionist job with a few other basic responsibilities (e.g. ordering stationary) so it is an unskilled, bottom of the ladder position.

Running a smooth office is integral to a successful company, if a company has poor back up services on the admin side it ****s up their profits and performance overall. So the lowly job you talk about carries a good deal of responsibility and the amount I quoted is far too low for an office manager, a junior office assistant yes, but not management and many office jobs require people to have a 3rd level education so I completely disagree with your assertion that an office worker should be paid minimum wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

People who take low paid job now will simply move on as soon as the economy picks up but I still would consider this as been better than the dole.

If you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

Very true. Thats what the minimum wage and close to the minimum wage is for. Anyone can do unskilled work, so peanuts will do.

Then there are levels where skilling up to that level is very easy, and you will get paid some more.

Its up to everyone to rise above those that can only earn peanuts, and whatever it takes to improve yourself, you do. Sitting around complaining wont improve peoples lots.

You should see the amount of "Office Manager" CVs we get in every week - and we arent even looking for one. Competition will kill you every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Ive noticed a few opportunities popping in my profession lately but they all require immediate starts (so much for "to get a job you must have a job"). Currently jazzing up my CV in the hope I can land something suitable. The company Im in now is a complete disaster and run by idiots. Im considering the UK but I want to go for an honours degree which is another year but having a strong qualification certainly cant hurt these days.

Good luck to all the job hunters, keep the head up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Mairead1975

It's because their HR depts dont want to have to deal with calls from agencies trying to get the job on their books. They advertised the role directly because they dont / are unable to pay the agency fee, so there is no point in them even listening to the sales pitch from an agency.

Most companies who advertise do so because they dont want the help of the agencies.
    Cuts out the middleman as such

Mairead Griffin

Advertisement