Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Delgany as good as Greystones?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 9:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

We are a family of 4 (2 boys 4 and 2 respecitively) who are considering moving to either Greystones or Delgany for what we hope will be a better quality of life than where we are now. We would like to be able to take full advantage of:

Cycling, climbing, sailing (incl kayak/rowing), scouts, rugby, football and so on.

We have been looking at new-build in Delganey Woods close to the main road and some established estates in Greystone...

Can someone give us their opinion about two different places and what the pros/cons would be e.g. is Delgany the poor relation to Greystones? Can you cycle to the beach from Delgany?, What is Delgany NS like -does it have a good reputation (headmaster gets a bit of a bad review along with a number of teachers on another website but don't know if this is disgruntled children....)? Is there a montessori in Delgany? Do the older children hang around aimlessly in Delgany because they can not transport themselves to activities or can they cycle to most things?

We are really interested in a "forever place" to live and would like our children to be able to get some independence and not be 100% reliant on us to drive them everywhere until they are 18 and might be able to get a car.

Well anything at all that you would be willing to share:)

thanks
    Mus

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Greystones and Delgany are close enough that they appear as Greystones\Delgany in the census and they've pretty much merged together over the last 20 years.

Most of the "action" is in Greystones - the beach, the sports clubs, restaurants, the harbour (when its finished) etc but Delgany Wood is still pretty close to Greystones - its walking distance to the tennis, GAA and rugby clubs and the swimming pool and your kids could certainly cycle to most of their activities once they're older.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭GAN

I knew a woman once who lived in Delgany, but ended up selling her house to move to Greystones, because she found that she ended up having to drive her kids everywhere they needed to go. Personally I wouldn't be keen on recommending that your kids cycle from Delgany to Greystones; people drive far too fast on that road, in my view.

Delgany is a really nice place, but if it's walking distance to facilities you want, I'd go for Greystones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Delgany's way better :D
    But I'd have to agree with GAN.
    I've lived in Delgany all my life and absolutely love the place.
    But you are a bit isolated here (bus service is not great),and certainly I wouldn't recommend cycling on that patch of road (apart from the crazy drving the road itself is like a patchwork).
    Greystones has so many amenities to hand

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

Given your requirements I agree that Greystones would be a better option than Delgany. Re Delgany Wood, I think Eden Gate is a nicer estate though the houses are identical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Pablo Sanchez

Moobui wrote: »
    Given your requirements I agree that Greystones would be a better option than Delgany. Re Delgany Wood, I think Eden Gate is a nicer estate though the houses are identical.

The Eden gate houses build quality are immense.....cant exactly say the same for all of Delgany wood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Eden Gate's a real nuisance to get to from Greystones though isn't it? You have to drive all the way up to the N11 and back again - that would get old real fast...

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Moobui

It is a bit annoying but you get used to it plus you can come through Delgany Village instead. It wouldn't be enough to put me off living in Eden Gate though!

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

loyatemu wrote: »
    Eden Gate's a real nuisance to get to from Greystones though isn't it? You have to drive all the way up to the N11 and back again - that would get old real fast...

Having lived there for a year i can tell you it gets old after the first detour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

I was always under the impression that Delgany was the classier of the two. I was thinking Delgany was more a Foxrock of Wicklow, where as Greystones is like a Dalkey...if you understand me.

And I agree, the nearer you are to 'the action' the less hassle you have. I know someone in Ashford with kids, she is forever ferrying them to Greystones or Wicklow Town...Delgany isn't too far from the action, in fact you could walk it if you were thinking of Delgany Wood.

Either area is grand, I reckon your choice in the end will be based on the particular house you look at. Best of luck!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What's the story with a bus to the DART from Delgany Wood? Is there just the 184 or is there something more local and frequent?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,631 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Blaster99 wrote: »
    What's the story with a bus to the DART from Delgany Wood? Is there just the 184 or is there something more local and frequent?

Yes, just the 184...next nearest thing is the 84 from the top of Mill Road but 84 is less frequent. It's down hill to Greystones, a nice pair of 'heelies' should get you there quickly...I have no similar suggestion for up hill!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If one wanted a night out in town (meaning Dublin), is there some way of getting home again without paying huge money to a reluctant taxi driver? I guess there's an 84 nightbus to Greystones and then walk the rest.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Finnegan Nightlink for €7 Outaside Clearys & Trinity & 1&3am Thur To Sat nights.

Advertisement