Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be possible to get feedback on a track?

Options
  • 28-08-2009 5:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Noe definitely not your traditional hip hop, but i hooked up with UK based producer Siriken and a Washington DC based producer/rapper KFSFK for this tune.

If people have any feedback that would be sweet.

http://soundcloud.com/siriken/dictate-kfsfk-siriken-1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

The beat takes a little too long to kick in proper, and the MC'ing/vocals are pretty forgettable, but the beat itself is nice imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Orizio wrote: »
    The beat takes a little too long to kick in proper, and the MC'ing/vocals are pretty forgettable, but the beat itself is nice imo.

Cheers man, with regard to the vocal, do you feel it's the actual voice itself, or could more be done with it's presence in the track?

Its generally the MC himself, he lacks presence on the mic and has a voice that screams 'myspace nerd'. I've only listened to it once though, but defintely the beat is the star, the vocals not really adding anything.

Its generally the MC himself, he lacks presence on the mic and has a voice that screams 'myspace nerd'. I've only listened to it once though, but defintely the beat is the star, the vocals not really adding anything.

Cheers man, thanks very much for the feedback. The beat is actually mine, so that's cool...nice to know i have improved since my last hip hop effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

The MC is pretty pedestrian. And I know your trying to bring Hip-Hop is new direction but I like dub-step and drum & bass, and there is definitely some influence from them on this track, and I always thought MCs took away from the bass on those types of tracks.
    Its a decent beat though, just fade the bass a bit and more into the background it literally over-shadows everything. And try find a different drum effect instead of that high pitch one, try and get one that complements the bass instead of juxtaposes it. Edit about 10 seconds off the start, I would agree in saying that it takes too long for the bass to kick in.

And if you are going to defintely get an MC on this track, find one who can write better lyrics (especially ones that suit the tone of the beat), has a deeper voice and has a smoother flow instead of spits.

EDIT: The First person that comes to mind is GZA, if you can get GZA on this track you would be flying it.

• Advertisement

Disagree about the bass, the louder the bass the better. :p

Disagree about the bass, the louder the bass the better. :p

Yeah me too, i predominantly do Dubstep....so i always gotta watch how far i am pushing the bass when i do anything else.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Bass is essential! I really like the beat, nice work. My 2 criticisms are the bass and that there is an echo-y sound....it could be the rubbish shpeakers on my laptop but i thought i heard something.

In repsect of the MC, i actually quite like him, his has a rolling style to his lyrics and delivery which is a difficult art to master. His choice of words in every line roll together nicely which really suits the beat.
    I'm quite a fan of this type of delivery, very anticon sounding.

There is a MC/Producer called Alias from Maine that has a similar formula to production that you use. I would recommend listening to an album by him called The Other Side of the Looking Glass. Not recommending copying him but it might give you inspiration for future work.

Keep on dropping your traks here, i'd be keen to hear more.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Bass is essential! I really like the beat, nice work. My 2 criticisms are the bass and that there is an echo-y sound....it could be the rubbish shpeakers on my laptop but i thought i heard something.

In repsect of the MC, i actually quite like him, his has a rolling style to his lyrics and delivery which is a difficult art to master. His choice of words in every line roll together nicely which really suits the beat.
    I'm quite a fan of this type of delivery, very anticon sounding.

There is a MC/Producer called Alias from Maine that has a similar formula to production that you use. I would recommend listening to an album by him called The Other Side of the Looking Glass. Not recommending copying him but it might give you inspiration for future work.

Keep on dropping your traks here, i'd be keen to hear more.

Disclaimer: Boom Bap is an Aesop's Rock fan, his views on MC'ing are warped. ;)

I don't think he is a great MC, largely becuase of his weak voice, but nonetheless a certain niche in Hip-Hop love rappers like this. Depends on the audience.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

Nice beat, the mc is pretty forgettable tho. It takes a little bit too long for the track to kick in properly but other than that nice.

Best bit i thought was around the 50 second mark where all the elements kick in, it reminds me a bit of a couple of tracks on Chosen Lords by Aphex Twin which is a very good thing :D

Just listened to it again, really not digging the mc'ing - instrumental track maybe!! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement