Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hip Hop Movies

Options
  • 26-08-2009 11:40am
    Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to start this thread off by talking about one of the classic 'hip hop' movies of all time. Many people may have seen this and many are probably going to wonder how they have never seen it.

The movie in question is called CB4 (Cell Block 4) and stars a young Chris Rock back in 1993. It's shot documentary (Rapumentary!) style where a camera crew is following Albert (Chris Rock) around as him and his 2 buddies try to establish themselves as a hip hop band in a town called Locash. Things arent going well for them until one day the local thug called Gusto gets arrested and sent to Cell Block 4, Albert is basically in the wrong place at the wrong time and Gusto thinks that Albert has framed him. Albert then gets the idea to reinvent himself as MC Gusto and call his band CB4 with the other 2 members calling them selves Stab Master Arson and Dead Mike. They re-invent them selves as Gangsters Rappers and release thier first single called Straight Outta Locash. Fame and fortune comes next.

Not going to go into it any further in case i start ruinning the movie for those who have not seen it.

The soundtrack to this movie is brilliant, the CB4 songs such as Straight Outta Locash and Sweat From My Balls are on this along with tracks from Public Enemy, BDP, PM Dawn, MC Ren, Beastie Boys, Fu-Shnikens.

Great movie and great soundtrack. Personally my favorite moments are when Baa Baa Ack is on screen and when the guy in the Big Ass Biscuit place that recognises Dead Mikes voice.

So who has seen the movie?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

The most influential Hip-Hop film Wildstyle.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Didn't Hype Williams do a movie with loads of rappers in it?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tomred1 wrote: »
    Didn't Hype Williams do a movie with loads of rappers in it?

Yeah, he made a movie called Belly with Nas, DMX, Method Man (i think) and a few others in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Interesting. I wondered where that dialogue Doom uses was sampled from.

Hustle and Flow isn't bad. Three 6 Mafia won an oscar for the soundtrack. :D

The funniest Hip-Hop film ever!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Naw, the funniest hip hop film of all time has to be (deep breath) Don't Be a Menace To South Central While Drinking Your Juice in the Hood.
    Ok maybe it's not strictly a hip hop film but it's packed full of so many memorable one liners that it would be a crime not to mention it. I'm sure most of you have seen it at least once

Don't be a Menace is a lampoon, not a hi-hop movie, even though the soundtrack is off the hook there isn't any original rhymes in the movie.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

godspal wrote: »

The funniest Hip-Hop film ever!

Have to agree with you on this one, Fear Of A Black Hat is not only the funniest hip hop flick, it's up there with being one of the funniest movies ever!

There are a ridiculous amounts of 1 liners in this that will be funny forever.

Advertisement