Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Only Built 4 Cuban Linx II - Raekwon' Thread

Options
  • 25-08-2009 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Its coming people, September the 8th. :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Cannot wait for this!!
    ''10 bricks'' and ''Catalina'' are floating about at the moment and their both sounding well,especially 10 bricks!

The european version is getting extra tracks too :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Track listings that are floating around:
    1. Still Strifin(Intro)/Prod. Raekwon & Mark Batson/
    2. No Peace/Prod. RZA & Cilvaringz/
    3. Rock Stars And Smoking Barrells feat. Inspectah Deck & GZA/Prod. RZA
    4. Black Book feat. GZA, Masta Killa, Inspectah Deck & L-Baggs/Prod. Dr. Dre
    5. Loose Change/Prod. Scram Jones
    6. State Of Grace/Prod. RZA
    7. No Matter How Hard You Try feat. Inspectah Deck & Lucy Clarke/Prod. RZA
    8. Networkz Are Global(Skit)
    9. The Brass feat. Ghostface Killah & John Frusciante/Prod. RZA
    10. Time Is Money/Prod. Dr. Dre
    11. House Of Flying Daggers/Prod. DILLA
    12. Little Afrika feat. RZA, Method Man, U-God & Masta Killa/Prod. RZA
    13. Kareem Khan feat. GZA/Prod. RZA
    14. RZA & Chef in studio(Skit)
    15. Thug World/Prod. RZA
    16. That's That feat. RZA & Busta Rhymes/Prod. Dr. Dre & Mark Batson
    17. Secret Indictment/Prod. RZA
    18. Playin' To Win(Year Of The Dragon) feat. GZA, Inspectah Deck & Ghostface Killah/Prod. RZA, Co-produced by Dr. Dre
    19. Terms & Conditions(Outro)
    1. "Return to the North Star" (featuring Papa Wu) BT
    2. "House of Flying Daggers" (featuring Inspectah Deck, Ghostface Killah, Method Man, GZA) J. Dilla 3:59
    3. "Sonny's Missing" Pete Rock
    4. "Pyrex Vision" Marley Marl
    5. "Cold Outside" (featuring Ghostface Killah, Suga Bang Bang) ATL
    6. "Godfather" (featuring Inspectah Deck) RZA
    7. "New Wu" (featuring Ghostface Killah, Method Man) RZA 4:42
    8. "Penitentiary" (featuring Ghostface Killah) BT
    9. "Criminology 09" (featuring Ghostface Killah) BT, RZA 3:04
    10. "Fat Lady Sings" RZA
    11. "Canal Street"
    12. "10 Bricks" (featuring Cappadonna, Ghostface Killah) J. Dilla
    13. "G-hide" (featuring Ghostface Killah) Necro 3:31
    14. "Rockstar" (featuring Inspectah Deck, GZA) RZA
    15. "Catalina" (featuring Busta Rhymes) Dr. Dre
    16. "40 Deuce" (featuring Jadakiss, Styles P) Scram Jones
    17. "Walk With Me" Scram Jones
    18. "We Will Rob You" (featuring GZA, Masta Killa, Slick Rick) Allah Justice 19. "Have Mercy" (featuring Beanie Sigel)
    20. "Surgical Gloves" The Alchemist
    21. "Nigga Me" Dr. Dre
    22. "Mean Streets" (featuring Inspectah Deck) Allah Mathematics
    23. "Kiss the Ring" (featuring Inspectah Deck, Masta Killa) Scram Jones
    24. "Ason Jones" J. Dilla
    But there is another one somewhere that I cant track down that has an Easy Moe B, Marley Marl and Erick Sermon produced tracks. Also heard a rumour of Rakim on a song.

Please dont let me down Rae

1. Return of the North Star Feat Papu Wu Produced by Bt (Interlude)
    2. House of Flying Daggers Feat Deck, Ghostface Killah, Method Man Produced by J-Dilla
    3. Sonny's Missing Produced by Pete Rock
    4. Pyrex Visions Produced by Marley Marl
    5. Cold Outside Feat Suga Bang, Ghostface Killah Produced by Atl
    6. Black Mozart Feat Inspectah Deck Produced by Rza
    7. Gihad Produced by Necro
    8. New Wu Feat Method Man & Ghostface Killah Produced by Rza
    9. Penitentiary Feat Ghostface Killah Produced by Bt
    10. Baggin Crack Produced by Eric Sermon
    11. Surgical Gloves Produced by The Alchemist
    12. Broken Safety Feat Jadakiss& Styles P Produced by Scram Jones
    13. Canal Street Produced by Icewater
    14. Ason Jones Produced by J-Dilla
    15. Have Mercy Feat Beanie Siegal Produced by Icewater
    16. Bricks Feat Beanie Siegal Produced by J-Dilla
    17. Fat Lady Sings Produced by Icewater
    18. Catalina Feat Busta Rhymes Produced by Dr. Dre
    19. We Will Rob You Feat Slick Rick, Gza, Masta Killah Produced by Allah Justice
    20. About Me Produced by Dr. Dre
    21. Mean Streets Feat Inspectah Deck, Produced by Allah Mathematics
    22. Kiss the Ring Feat Inspectah Deck, Masta Killah Produced by Scram Jones
    23. Walk wit Me
    24. The Badlands (Bonus Track European Version only)

This is the offical 1 as far as i know,keeps on changing though,theirs a track called ''rockstars'' that was supposed to be on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

There are multiple legit tracklistings, one for the US, one for the EU/UK. The latter has more tracks I believe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

some snippets of the album:

House of Flying Daggers is defo on the album, not sure about the first one, i think that was off a mixtape

and a dre produced track:

a bit meh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭godspal

I have been impressed by everything I have heard from the album so far, I would like to hear an uncensored version of "Catalina" its hard to get a feel fro a sogn when every couple of seconds a word is missing.

Just going through the leaked tracks right now, pretty solid particurly 'New Wu'.

Snippet of the ''walk wit me'' video looks like miami vice or something i like it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=84httIJbEZU

Just heard 50 % of the album,sounds fcking great!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭imported_guy

hmm only 2 tracks produced by dre?, and is j dilla producing from his grave like tupac or would it be an old song?

• Advertisement

hmm only 2 tracks produced by dre?, and is j dilla producing from his grave like tupac or would it be an old song?

the album has been in the making for the past few years so the Dilla beats would be from a few years ago

After my 1st listen,HOLY SH!T :eek::eek:!! Didn't think they made hip hop like this anymore!
    An album that was actually worth the wait,production is great,Raekwon hasn't lost an ounce of ability either.
    guest appearances are on point, GZA actually sounds interseted on his verse,Rebel ins is back on form,jada really surprised me with a great verse.
    Busta's verse on ''about me'' is arguably his best since scenario,that was 17 years ago!
    Only bad appearance was slick rick on ''we will rob you'',drops a sh!tty hook,it might sound familiar to most people!
    Album flow is consistant,doesn't lose any momentum which is impressive on a 22 track album.
    Pyrex vision should have been longer,at least an extra verse,other than that and the hook off we will rob you i can't fault this album.

Im not going to slap a label on this album as it isn't even officall released yet but what i will say is im going to be listening to this album for a long time,and ill definetly be purchasing this on the 7th!

By the way,''Ason Jones'' is a touching O.D.B tribute,very emotional track, Wu fans and especially o.d.b fans will be moved by this.

Oh and ''cold outside'' Jesus Christ one of the best tracks ive heard on a hip hop album in a LONG time,Ghosface murders it!

There is a part of me that just wants to hold the CD me in my hand before I 1st listen to it.

godspal wrote: »
    There is a part of me that just wants to hold the CD me in my hand before I 1st listen to it.

Haha,as soon as i found out it had leaked i couldn't resist,i kind of wish i had waited until i bought it to listen to it but i have zero will power!

Honestly you won't be disappointed,great album,european version is getting two bonus tracks aswell :cool:

Points as I listen...

*deletes the Papa Wu *****

Meth truly kills House Of Flying Daggers.

'Sonny's Missing' and 'Pyrex Vision' slow things down a bit too much, decent tracks.

'Cold Outside' is nice, particurly the sung vocals.

'Black Mozart nicely produced, Deck and Rae kill it.

Ghost kills 'Gihad', nicely produced all the way so far.

'New Wu', such a god damn banger. Meth still got the nicest flow.

'Penitentiary' pretty meh. Ditto for 'baggin' crack'. 'Surgical Gloves' a little better.

'Broken Safety' is alright as well, Styles nicest. 'Canal Street' has another nice beat, but album middle suffering from lack of Wu guests.

Like the feeling and sentiment to 'Ason Jones'.

'Have Mercy', Beanie nice but beat and hook forgettable.

'10 Bricks' still nice.

'Fat Lady Sings' is nice but too short. 'Catalina' is pretty nice as well, but the drums in particular sound out of place

'We Will Rob You' nice beat, Rae kills it, GZA pretty mediocre, Masta Killa's verse just seems random. Weak hook, where is the Slick Rick verse?

'About Me', I'm assuming this is a Dre beat, nice enough, Busta isn't as annoying as usual, thankfully restrained. The beat sounds a little out of place again, Dre can and needed to do darker stuff than this.

'The Mean Streets', decent beat, Deck again stands out, messy hook though.

'Kiss The Ring', nice up beat way to close the album, definitely one of the superior beats.

Conclusion: Too long, pretty top heavy, Dre's stuff sounds a little off, in need of more Wu features particurly in the pretty meh middle third. Rae stands out when he tells stories (as usual). Take about half a dozen songs out, add bonus and leak tracks, tweak sequencing a bit and there is areally dope album here. As it stands, its a 4/5, about what I expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Can people please stop mentioning the albums have leaked please. By all means discuss them but just keep phrases like that out of the threads. Thanks.

Orizio wrote: »
    Points as I listen...

*deletes the Papa Wu *****

Meth truly kills House Of Flying Daggers.

'Sonny's Missing' and 'Pyrex Vision' slow things down a bit too much, decent tracks.

'Cold Outside' is nice, particurly the sung vocals.

'Black Mozart nicely produced, Deck and Rae kill it.

Ghost kills 'Gihad', nicely produced all the way so far.

'New Wu', such a god damn banger. Meth still got the nicest flow.

'Penitentiary' pretty meh. Ditto for 'baggin' crack'. 'Surgical Gloves' a little better.

'Broken Safety' is alright as well, Styles nicest. 'Canal Street' has another nice beat, but album middle suffering from lack of Wu guests.

Like the feeling and sentiment to 'Ason Jones'.

'Have Mercy', Beanie nice but beat and hook forgettable.

'10 Bricks' still nice.

'Fat Lady Sings' is nice but too short. 'Catalina' is pretty nice as well, but the drums in particular sound out of place

'We Will Rob You' nice beat, Rae kills it, GZA pretty mediocre, Masta Killa's verse just seems random. Weak hook, where is the Slick Rick verse?

'About Me', I'm assuming this is a Dre beat, nice enough, Busta isn't as annoying as usual, thankfully restrained. The beat sounds a little out of place again, Dre can and needed to do darker stuff than this.

'The Mean Streets', decent beat, Deck again stands out, messy hook though.

'Kiss The Ring', nice up beat way to close the album, definitely one of the superior beats.

Conclusion: Too long, pretty top heavy, Dre's stuff sounds a little off, in need of more Wu features particurly in the pretty meh middle third. Rae stands out when he tells stories (as usual). Take about half a dozen songs out, add bonus and leak tracks, tweak sequencing a bit and there is areally dope album here. As it stands, its a 4/5, about what I expected.

cheers man, looking forward to this now. I've heard reports that it is quite the good album.

I'll give my opinion tomorrow after i've given it a couple of listens.

oh and welcome back Makaveli :D

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Da GOAT

i think im gonna buy this actually, feeling vbad for all my downloading lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

the album is very very good, thank god for the j dilla and rza tracks!

best songs are in order they appear :

house of flying daggers
    black mozart
    Gihad
    ason jones
    fat lady sings

:D

I'll be buying this as well, Cuban Linx 1 sits proudly in my CD collection and there is no reason why II cant join it! Listened to this album a few times today.

So here's my run through of the album.....

Return of the North Star - i really like how this starts, if my memory is correct, it's the last couple of seconds from Cuban Linx 1. It then evolves into it's a new take on the beat. Other than that there are sone more ramblings from Papa Wu. The beat that comes in through the end is also one that Atmosphere samples for Say Hey There.

House Of Flying Daggers - This is the best Wu song I have heard in a long long time. Excellent higher octane beat and excellent lyrics. It reminds me alot of the sound from The W, Triumph springs to mind. Ghosty kills it

Sonny's Missing - nice little song, nice little story, well delivered and well told. Just when the beat starts to go stale the song ends.

Pyrex Vision - A song about cooking, really like this, shows Rae's versatiliy but probably not a song that is needed on the album.

Cold Outside - i absolutely love how rae and ghosty's vocals compliment the singing on this......or is it the other way around. Banger.

Black Mozart - Deck is back to nearly his best on this track. RZA was pretty much pointless to have on this. Nice song though

Gihad - not bad at all, Ghostie is on fire. Nice beat, the chanting really makes it special

New Wu - This song is great....appart from the gunshot noises. Method Man can be so good at times, this is one of those times. I think it all depends on the production and context of the song.

Penitentiary - When this song starts off i immediately think that is has the best production, best lyrics, best concept by far on the album. The back and forth is brilliant between rae and ghost, but it is damaged by the hook and the production gets a tad annoying. It should have been chopped or evolved. But it's a short song so its not so bad overall on the annoyance levels.

Baggin Crack - Another nice little story and nice bouncy beat, no complaints on this one

Surgical Gloves - gunshots - WHY????????? anyway, dont like the beat on this song at all, very annoying

Broken Safety - I'm never normally a fan of Jada or Styles, but they fit this song perfectly, and at midway point on the album they bring some fresh sound to the album that gets you more attentive. The beat is great, it has one of them old school, battle break noises throughout which i love (sounds like yo, yo yo, yo yo yo). And the kung fu noises at the end are great

Canal Street - Its alright, i like the semi acapella part midway through the song

Ason Jones - This is how tribute songs should be written. The word beautiful comes to mind.

Have Mercy - Uses the same sample from the first track, Rae's hook is pretty bad but Blue Rasberry suits this song alot

10 Bricks - Love it, Donna is great, Rae is great, ghost is great

Fat Lady Sings - dope dope dope, short short short

Catalina - dont like the singing on this at all, the drums are those carribean drums, i like them but the song seems out of place on this album.

We Will Rob You - Rick does the intro and the hook on the song, no verse.....but the song is excellent, GZA is super on this, even Masta Killa is good.

About Me - Finally, a decent beat from Dre!! But he can do much better.
    Like this song though, Busta actually compliments this song well.

Mean Streets - Sounds like it should be on a Ghostface album, not this. This is one that couldd have been left on the chopping room floor

Kiss The Ring - Not a bad song, and ends a bit abruptly.

Overall it has elements of Cuban Linx 1 and has moved forward onto new pastures. But i think that it has taken some of the wrong elements with it. The abrupt end, the cohession between songs is not the same through the entire album, the track listing should be re-ordered. It has a really strong start, decent middle and an ending that should come sooner.

But it is still a really good album, one of the better ones this year. One thing i like is the short snappy songs, they dont hang around replaying the same loop over and over like some albums. The songs dont fit the 3 verse 3 hook format like most songs these days

On a kind of related note, i was watching and old Herbie movie the other day, you know the ones where Herbie is the VW Beetle that comes to life, anyway, there is a character called Mr. Wu and his company is called Tang Wu :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Cathal_91

agreed that surgical gloves is a major weak point in the music on the Album and what worse is it copys a j dilla track called "take it back" w/ madlib

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

blueprint 3 and OB4CLII this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭ghostface ste

1st listen to the album at the moment, very nice so far. Meth kills every song he is on, after this and also his cameos on Ghostfaces last album he has been superb. His flow is so easy on the tracks, wish he could get an album out himself that reflects this!! New wu and house of flying daggers stand outs so far

1st listen to the album at the moment, very nice so far. Meth kills every song he is on, after this and also his cameos on Ghostfaces last album he has been superb. His flow is so easy on the tracks, wish he could get an album out himself that reflects this!! New wu and house of flying daggers stand outs so far

Agree with what you said about meth, he sounds back to his best in his recent cameos.
    I think if he can get good production, something like the new wu or daggers beats, he can easily release a great album. same with inspectah deck.

http://www.oxygen.ie/page/2572

finally my review got put up on this. my editor took ages to get me the cd. and then took him ages to put it up.

(Expect a Blueprint 3 and Ghostdini review too.)

godspal wrote: »
    http://www.oxygen.ie/page/2572

finally my review got put up on this. my editor took ages to get me the cd. and then took him ages to put it up.

(Expect a Blueprint 3 and Ghostdini review too.)

nice review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭jackson2009

im loving it been playing it non stop

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Chewabacca

just got it and I'm really feeling it. Haven't heard any rap album like it for ages, great album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Loy

Yea this album lives up to the hype, although i need a few more listens, a few tracks could o been left off.
    I think Rea & Ghost miss RZA's influence on their projects

Cant wait to See RZA next week!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660711

• Advertisement

Loy wrote: »
    Yea this album lives up to the hype, although i need a few more listens, a few tracks could o been left off.
    I think Rea & Ghost miss RZA's influence on their projects

Cant wait to See RZA next week!!
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055660711

apparently, Ghostface has a lawsuit against the RZA at the moment over not being paid properly

Advertisement