Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for improving the forum.

Options
  • 24-08-2009 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

If anyone has any ideas or anything they would like to see to improve the forum please post them in this thread for the mods and other posters to debate over.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Not really an idea for improving the forum but rather a relevant observation:

I just don't think there are enough hip-hop fans on here to sustain a lively forum, and yes I know this same point was brought up in another thread relatively recently. There are around 100 other forums on boards.ie to compete with. I'm a regular poster on other dedicated hip hop fourms across the internet and they deliver up-to-date news along with exclusives from inside the industry. I mean two of this years biggest news stories - Nas' divorce and TI's jail sentence - didn't even get a mention here.

You can argue that boards can offer the Irish angle on hip hop, but even then most people here couldn't name 5 Irish rappers or know where to go to see them perform. Instead we have endless lists of "ur top 5 rap songz eva" with no real discussion at all.

In before "why don't you post something interesting then". I try but like I said, there's not much activity here. Hence why I frequent other dedicated rap forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Regarding Nas's wife/TI's jail, these are not Hip-Hop music discussions, they are gossiping cack for teenage girls. Any trash threads regarding such nonsense will be automatically and happily deleted by me. At the very least 'top 5' threads have something to do with music. ;)

Your right about the lack of activity, and thats what this thread is trying to reverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Yelnahs

Orizio wrote: »
    Regarding Nas's wife/TI's jail, these are not Hip-Hop music discussions, they are gossiping cack for teenage girls. Any trash threads regarding such nonsense will be automatically and happily deleted by me. At the very least 'top 5' threads have something to do with music. ;)

Your right about the lack of activity, and thats what this thread is trying to reverse.

You guys are competing with irishhiphop.com in fairness so its difficult to get a steady base of subscribers/discussions when you're competing with a very popular site in a small sub genre of music ((Hip-Hop not Rap)In Ireland at least)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

I don't know how you can generate more discussion, as the people on this froum seem to stay away talking about main stream Hip Hop.Since i been reading this forum i have discovered loads of artist who I wouldn't hear in the charts or see on music stations.Defo in the last while their has been too many top ten lists etc.. Maybe try and post a nw thread a day about the news within HIp Hop and get users talking that way.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

tomred1 wrote: »
    Maybe try and post a nw thread a day about the news within HIp Hop and get users talking that way.

so far 2 replies on news threads from tomred and Napoli......maybe a hip hop news/rumours sticky? but try to steer it away from gossip and hearsay. and of course Orizio can have the power to kill off any posts that are taking it off topic.

• Advertisement

A general news thread is an interesting idea.

Possibly a new mod with new energy? I'm the only active one right now.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

where's Makiaveli gone?

No idea, just disapeared.

No idea, just disapeared.

do we have to compile a posthumous release?...or does a greatest hits/posts come first? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

Irishhiphop.com is a really entertaining forum. I'd say if that wasn't there you'd see alot more activity. Boards.ie usually tends to thrive when it's catering for some audience that doesn't have a dedicated board (like alot of the regional boards).

• Advertisement

on other forums they would have a Q&A type thing, open a thread, pick a poster and let people ask direct questions directly to the poster.
    Not sure if there are enough regulars here to make it a frequent event but it might start us talking about each other and our experiences with hip hop. Could be something worth trialling.

We should also maybe start submitting reviews on albums either past or present, commercial or underground, hopefully there wouldn't be one liner reviews.

A hip hop picture thread, pics from gigs or culture related snaps.....i see plenty of people at gigs with cameras :D

just some monday night ideas i've had

I think we are limited due to the lack of regular posters, so a start would be more posting by me, and the introduction of a new, energetic mod - Boom Bap, do you fancy the job? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

I'd support Boom Bap as a mod. Not that there are many regulars to choose a candidate from....

Also I like the idea of a thread where we talk about our experiences with hip hop. How we got into to it, performers we've seen etc

yeah i'd be up for it, thanks for the support Napoli.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

How about?:
    • a thread for rap movies - soundtracks and DVDs
    • name the samples thread
    • alternative rap groups thread
    • music technology thread aimed at hip hop
    • post your lyrics and get feedback

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

A bit of constructive feedback of tunes posted wouldn't be a bad idea. Might get a few Irish rappers posting their tunes on here. It'd be nice to see some suggestions other than "Oh no, not an Irish rapper" or "Irish rap LOL ROFL" or something similarly retarded.

like some of the ideas from No Langer and Blitz, i was actually thinking about a hip hop movies thread earlier.

and we defo should be supporting Irish music alot more.
    name the samples thread
    A good one that was sent to m earlier would be a good starter....The Five Fairsteps - Danger she's a stranger

it should be an easy one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    like some of the ideas from No Langer and Blitz, i was actually thinking about a hip hop movies thread earlier.

and we defo should be supporting Irish music alot more.

A good one that was sent to m earlier would be a good starter....The Five Fairsteps - Danger she's a stranger

it should be an easy one :)

Outkast - 2 dope boys,took me a few mins to remember what it was!

I have never watched a Hip-Hop movie in my life, so I might be better for someone else to start that.

As for the sample thread, Boom Bap get to it! You may not be an official mod yet, doesn't mean you get to be so fecking lazy. :D

right, i've removed the finger so i'll get to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

an old school hippy hoppy thread may be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Raoul

I think one of the main problems is not enough people on the forum too. The samples thread idea is a great idea. I would never have gotten the outkast one.

This is an interesting video on that subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfqlG8gSkeA

I think we are limited due to the lack of regular posters

true but how about we get some of the irish DJ's/rappers/bands to come in for a Q&A thing. Just been speaking to The Expert and he would be up for it. We could probably extend this to the Production forum as well.
    Could probably get Messiah J on board as well, he owes me a favour for robbing my Company Flow CD :)
    There are a few others that post here from time to time to that we could line up too, no harm in getting themselves some free promotion!

The old school/golden era idea is good, we should do something with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭Nolanger

Quite interested in hearing from anyone who has got some '80s rap albums other than the usual Beasties/PE/RunDMC/DeLaSoul stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Nolanger wrote: »
    Quite interested in hearing from anyone who has got some '80s rap albums other than the usual Beasties/PE/RunDMC/DeLaSoul stuff.

I found a mad compilation of 80's Nigerian rap tunes over on AfricanHipHop.com the other day, I'd imagine it's not entirely cool to post though (and the sound quality isn't fantastic either, but it's an interesting enough little historical curiosity)...

Advertisement