Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC STB Box Modifications

Options
  • 17-08-2009 9:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi,

has anyone upgraded the harddrive of their UPC STB box. I had a look inside and saw I had a 160GB Seagate harddrive. This gives 80 hrs of SD TV.

It looks easy to just slot in a new one but do you need a special heavy duty harddrive seeing as it is constantly reading and writing all the time.

Same question for anyone who already got the new HD STB from UPC.

Thanks

JD
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Haven't tried it, but FYI there are HDD optimised for PVR use. They are designed for the constant use a HDD gets and low noise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭abraxas01

Worth noting that chorus NTL retain the ownership of the box (e.g. you're only renting it), and as such are most likely to disapprove of any modifications made to the box should you ever leave and they seek to recover it. Suggest you check your contract, as they may have the right to charge you with criminal damage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Yes I know the t's and c's. Usually when I upgrade from ntl they leave you with the old box. If they want the box back I will make sure I give it back in the below standard condition I got it.

Anyway if I damage the box I will accept responsiby. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

It is worth to note though, tampering with any rented equipment is breach of contact and even asking for advise on how to do this is basically asking how to do breach contracts and can get you banned by the mods. just a friendly warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭jackdoes

Thanks for the warning. Didn't realise it was that serious. Looks like the new HD STB has a larger harddrive in it so may not make the mod.

I see there is a USB input and an ethernet port on the back of the box. Wouldn't it great if you could plug into these. That would make adding more harddrive capacity easy without going under the hood.

Anyone know the purpose of these.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

jackdoes wrote: »
    I see there is a USB input and an ethernet port on the back of the box. Wouldn't it great if you could plug into these.

While they're there, they seem to be disabled.

It would be great if you could use them, but you can't in the current config.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

jackdoes wrote: »
    Anyone know the purpose of these.

They are connected to the internal modem,which has no use as of yet.
    If they want the box back I will make sure I give it back in the below standard condition I got it.

What was wrong with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The box belongs to UPC.

Tinkering with it is close to discussing forbidden topics. It's also a violation of your contract.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement