Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New yummy things in Tesco

Options
  • 05-08-2009 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭

So I had not been into Tescos for a while and needed a few things yesterday. Went to the Jervis one and to the place where I usually find the "free from" bits.

Well I was a bit annoyed as they had moved everything around and I had to go and hunt the section out but when I found it it was so worth hunting for!

They now are stocking the little dairy free chocolate buttons, chocolate rice crackle bars (both the sweet william ones - purple packet), mayola and doves farm pasta made from brown rice. There were a few other things there too but I was in a rush.

I have already eaten the dairy free choccy buttons and they were lovely with a cup of tea!

Now if they would only get in the tangerine choc bars.........!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'm heading into town tomorrow (not like its that far only a 10min walk lol) but have to check tesco out again...damn those choc buttons tempting me even tho i'm veggie:P

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Thoushaltnot

Free From stem ginger bikkies

*gobblegobblegobble*

all gone

damn those choc buttons tempting me even tho i'm veggie:P

Are you vegan? But if they're dairy free then you're ok there, innit?

BTW, finally found the Moser-Roth Dark Chocolate range in Aldi. Mint or Orange & Almond. Dairy free. Full of iron. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

He means he is not vegan, but tempting to try them. Much like divine chocolate, ahven't had it in a long time. /miss

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Well i DID buy some and they were really nice:) Also got me some Green & Blacks 85% Dark choc, large bar for 2.20e:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

They have pulse spaghetti in Tesco now. I went on about it in the Grapevine thread, but it really is great! And they now have vegan animal crackers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭smellslikeshoes

Aoifums wrote: »
    vegan animal crackers!
    I just love the way that sounds so much :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

oh, just found Orgran 'mini outback animals chocolate cookies'. They come as a pack of 8 fun-size packs and are gluten free, wheat free, yeast free, soy free, nut free and vegan :) Nothing special, but a bit of fun :)
    minioutback.jpg

And I noticed that the tesco free from chocolate chip cookies appear vegan from the ingredients.
    083406.jpg?ts=633294482720

(All tesco Bloomfields in Dun Laoghaire)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Xandrius

I really miss tesco, I lived in Blanchardtown Villiage when I first moved to Ireland and there was a Tesco there and they have all kinds of cool food there. But here in Tyrellstown we only have superqueen and Lidl, Lidl is cheap but they dont have to much veggie food. Superqueen is kinda ok but they can be a bit expensive, but still cheaper than Norway so I should be happy

Hey, you can always shop online for Tescos and have stuff delivered! Keep tabs on the Bargains Alerts thread;
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=346
    for when delivery is free/1c or summat and stock up on non perishables. (usual limit of approx a €80-100 shop)

Tesco may or may not have a tendency to to deliver products close to their "Best Before" dates but I find the quality of Superqueen (LOL!) fresh fruit and veg better so you might as well get your perishables there. Worth the extra money, imho.

I know a chap who has crates of kidney beans delivered to him to make up the €80, and now Tesco has a much better range of tinned beans... obviously he doesn't do many orders per year, so waits for the special delivery promotions.

Just an idea...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Xandrius

thats just great, thanx for the info :D

Aoifums wrote: »
    They have pulse spaghetti in Tesco now. I went on about it in the Grapevine thread, but it really is great! And they now have vegan animal crackers!

Hi, I can't find this fabulous Pulse spaghetti - more like fabled :p Maybe a link to your post or a link for Pulse itself? Cheers.

While I'm at it, was in Tesco Dundrum (my new stomping ground) and they have the range of Cranks veggie sauces (Veg Soc approved and from the famous, groundbreaking veggie restaurant crowd in London) - Cranks Tomato, Ginger & Basil sauce, Spicy Pepperpot sauce and I think, Sweet Tomato & Italian Bean sauce (Yaah!)

http://www.cranks.co.uk/products/sauces

However, Tesco do seem to be phasing out the RealEat Vegge Mince (Boo! Hiss!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Be wary of that Free From range. Some of the products marked "dairy free" contain egg.

I was delighted when doing my weekly shop in Tesco to find that they now stock Cauldren products. I love the organic falafel!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Getwellsoon

What I'm loving about Tescos at the moment is:

- their super cheap mini cans of chickpeas & butterbeans (ideal portions!)
    - stocking wagamama sauces & lots of different vegan friendly curry pastes
    - nice selection of japanese cooking stuff
    - stirfry "family pack" of veg only €1.50!

monellia wrote: »
    I was delighted when doing my weekly shop in Tesco to find that they now stock Cauldren products. I love the organic falafel!

Gorgeous with Thousand Island dressing (haven't seen a vegan version of this, sorry). I love their sausages too. Superquinn have both of these too, btw.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I have to admit that I'm currently not too happy with Tescos.
    My husband and I both love the Quorn mince, the chicken pieces and we used to love their home-brand veggie burgers.
    Ever since their "we now have sooo many more products" thing, we've been unable to find any of these in any of their stored in Cork. We're getting the Quorn from the local Supervalue now, but the burgers seem to be gone for good. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Write them a complaint. If they do not know that their customers are unhappy with the situation, nothing will change. And do tell them that you shop in Supervalue as a result; that'll get them thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I'm just back from living abroad and I'm delighted to find so many pulses and nuts in Tesco now! We shop in Clearwater or Clare Hall a lot, and its great that they now have such a wide selection of beans and nuts. Black eyed beans (both dried and in tins) chickpeas (dried and tinned) red beans (sorry, dunno what they're called in English, we called them barbunya in Turkey, they're white with striated pink! :o), monkey nuts (long before halloween!), dried figs......its fab! saves me having to make a seperate trip to the health food shop! saves on petrol, so lower carbon foot print, and we get to make nice healthy food! win win (except for poor health food shop, but I still go there once a month or so!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 num one

Tesco now have Quorn spring rolls , Spicy bites and Quorn chicken style curry:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Their houmous is also amazingly good, and only €1.49 for a fair sized tub (though the tub never lasts long in my house).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

num one wrote: »
    Tesco now have Quorn spring rolls , Spicy bites and Quorn chicken style curry:D

Which branch? I've had the 'chicken' korma and it's vety nice. Spring rolls would be shockin' popular in my house!

I don't normally buy veg in Tesco, but I was impressed to find Irish grown marrow there this week. :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

This is about delieciioooousss icecream. As you know a lot of mousse is not vegetarian...well if you get jennies chocolate icecream...and for get to close the freezer for a while :pac: it melts a bit and tastes exactly like mousse. It's like a 1 litre yogurt..mmmmmmmm!

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    Which branch? I've had the 'chicken' korma and it's vety nice. Spring rolls would be shockin' popular in my house!

I found them all and more in Dundrum. :D

I can now pronounce the Spicy Bites to be substantial and delicious. Not all that spicy at all... which to me is a good thing. The spring rolls are the small size ones but still they have loads of flavour.

I'm looking forward to the 'beef' chilli now :D

Advertisement