Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the deal with people bringing Toblerones back from holidays?

Options
  • 30-07-2009 1:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭

It's never a bar I or people I know would consider buying in the shop on the way home from work, but as soon as yer in an airport on the way home it's straight to the Toblerone stand. Is there some kind of subliminal advertising going on or what?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

Its supersize and its chocolate = win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

LOL thats the only thing i brought back from holidays.

The reason's being i didn't bother to buy anything while on holidays, cause i was too busy having fun and out of all the things in duty free, it was the most reasonably priced thing there. Other than malteser's but who would pick them over a toblerone.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Dont want it? send it my way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Same here, had a giant Raisin and Biscuit Toblerone straight from the freezer over the past week!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 louise_w

they taste lovely, and bring back happy memories from your own holidays, plus they are a rare treat as the big ones are only avalable in airports!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,252 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

All said as I'm munching on one right now, bought from...the airport! Tastes good:D

EDIT: Should also buy Milka!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

You're not alone in asking why op !

linky

• Registered Users Posts: 9,926 ✭✭✭trout

I'm not mad about chocolate, but I usually bring back a few Toblerones for the people I work with. (They love 'em)

This year, I was sure I bought 5 bars ... but I could only find 4 when I went looking.

A week later, mystery solved, I found the tattered remnants of a large Toblerone under the bed in trout junior's room ... he's 3 yrs of age. He must have been eating it on the sly for a week. His mammy is so proud.

Parents came back from Greece last night and i said " How many toblerones did you buy?". How did you know? was her reply.

"For fcuk sake" says me.

The Greek are known for their Toblerones.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,547 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

They're just sooo useful, the box can hold a scale rule, or if you line the inside of the box with the foil wrapping and roll a marble inside while looking through to a light.....instant kaleidoscope, keeps kids happy for hours. Oh yeah, and then there's the chocolate.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,730 ✭✭✭Naos

They are pretty spectacular.

Got the gf to bring me back a giant white chocolate one when she was away, nyom!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭NilByMouth

You use not be able to buy them here so maybe thats how it all started...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Snakeblood

Standman wrote: »
    It's never a bar I or people I know would consider buying in the shop on the way home from work, but as soon as yer in an airport on the way home it's straight to the Toblerone stand. Is there some kind of subliminal advertising going on or what?

I broke my hand cycling back from Leopardstown Racecourse with 4 Toblerones. I don't know why they sell them at races, but they do. And I buy them.

I hate Toblerones.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

They always cost the exact amount of Swiss francs, Swedish krona, dollars etc. of schrapnel you have left in your pocket when flying back to Euro Zone! Plus they are the last bit of holiday nostalgia.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭marwelie

They are horrible things, they stick to your teeth and cut the roof of your mouth. Someone in work brought me back a huge one, I put it in my drawer and it was still there a year later!

I'd prefer a bag of Jelly Tots or Dolly Mixtures TBH although Dolly Mixtures are a bitch to find these days, usually have to raid the Pic n Mix to satisfy the craving!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

I have gotten them too. Always feel sick after eating toblerones though. No idea why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Priapus

hahahaha funny thread and good observation. I think toblerone's big break was as a duty-free airport regular and people still associate it with the "holliers". Still shows up in my house anytime anyone is back from ANYWHERE abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It is weird considering you can buy them on Moore Street for a couple of quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭Clanket

Have you tasted the new fruit and nut Toblerones. Delicious.

Dare I say even better than a Cadburys Fruit and Nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

We bought a large one of each kind in Paris Airport. The fruit and nut are gorgeous. I gave away the white one though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement